Transform and image (make it smaller/larger)

If I open a jpg image in PS and then increase the canvas size which makes the jpg bigger does this mean that the jpg has been resampled (so pixels have been added)

Posted On: Friday 26th of October 2012 12:28:16 AM Total Views:  96
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Photoshop PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

PS transform/scale vs. image resize difference

, Well, I have scoured the internet but can't find an answer to my question; I'm hoping an expert here can help me. I'm trying to understand what the fundamental difference between an image scale (via transform) and image resize is. For example, I have a 1600x1200, 300dpi canvas. I place a PSD image (a cropped photo) with resolution of 2355x1021 onto the canvas. I want to scale this placed image down to a width of 300px (and constrain the aspect ratio). When I try to enter 300px as the width, photoshop will accept it, but never actually scale to that width. If I click on the placed file to scale again, it will show the width as 304.2px. The next smallest width it will accept is 294.4px. From my testing, it appears that it may have something to do with dpi of my canvas. But this is all going on the web, and I don't care what the dpi is. I want is for my image to be the dimensions I ask it to be scaled to. I have better luck re-sizing the image before placing it (using Image -> Resize), but even then, when the file is placed on the canvas, I don't get "whole numbers / integers" for the height. It ends up something like w:300px, h: 129.7px. I know this is something fundamental to the way PS works, but I just can't find any info on it. Why won't photoshop accept the width in pixels you ask an image to be scaled to It is driving me mad, please help!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 12th September 2012
View Replies!

How can I get the free transform grid?

Like this I can't find it. I'm using CS5.1 Photoshop. I already did the loop tool and I copied and pasted it to a layer. But I can't find the Transform grid.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 12th September 2012
View Replies!

is there some fine face transform plugin?

when I say fine I mean with fine grid to make subtile changes,and not regulary 3x2 grid in transform distort..... and it should has preview mode by pressing shift or alt.... is there such thing
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 14th September 2012
View Replies!

capture & apply transformations to second orig

So I placed an element in the bigger picture, then I tweaked it, distorted it, used perspective etc. etc. Now I've decided to alter the original of that element and I want to place it in the bigger picture again. And i really want to use all the transformations that I used the first time. Is there a way to capture the transformations and apply them to the replaced element it's all image, pixels, no text, paths or even layers in this element I'm placing.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 14th September 2012
View Replies!

free transform REALLY unavailable

I'm working with an exported jpeg from SketchUp and no matter what layer I'm on, nor what mode I'm in, or what tool I choose...Free Transform and Transform seem to be forever greyed out. Does anyone have any idea of the problem PS CS
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 16th September 2012
View Replies!

Lost transform function of shift key

of a sudden the shift key doesn't keep images the true (height to width) size when enlarging or making image smaller. What setting could be wrong Sorry I can't think of way to explain this better
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

refine edge & transform

I wanted to select a head from one picture and paste into another. I thought maybe I could use refine edge in my new CS5 and just place it on the background picture. Then I wanted to transform the head so it would be a larger size. When I get it on the background I am not able to change the size using the transform button. Is there another way to do this When you are dealing with a lot of hair it seems that refine edge would be the correct method of selection. Songbird
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 26th September 2012
View Replies!

Free transform trouble :(

, i have some slight trouble with photoshop... i'm trying to stretch some text (but only the top right corner and the top left corner) some of my transform functions are greyed out (this might have something to do with the problem\t\t) I can only seem to make the overall text larger/smaller/rotete ect....
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 27th September 2012
View Replies!

Free transform and trying to snap

I tried using the free transform and then trying to get image i'm free transforming to snap to guides, but it just does not seem to work too well. snap to guides is checked.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

unwanted duplicate layer created during free transform

At my work, I use CS3 on a PC, and never have this issue. At home on my mac with CS4 it happens all the time. Sometimes, even most of the time, when I am in the midst of a free transform (just after I begin to drag a corner) Photoshop creates a new layer just above the one that I made the selection from, and continues to modify that new layer, instead of the original layer that contained the object that I'm trying to transform. I'm usually working with lines where the rest of the layer is transparent, so what happens is that I see the original lines that I am trying to transform and at the same time, see a second set (the ones I am able to transform) on a new layer just above. What should happen is that it should just transform the original lines, and have non of this duplicate layer "double vision" non-sense. It is driving me nuts and I am baffled as to why it seems impossible to find a reason for it posted anywhere on the net. Someone please help me.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!

transforming?

hi, im trying to upscale a image of mario from the classic super mario world game. the problem i have with using transform is that after i hit return the mario loses the bulky pixel look and then just goes blurry...seeing that i am not good at explaining this i have added an image: mario.jpg picture by stevieseymour - Photobucket anyway...is there a way i can upscale the image while preserving each pixel on mario
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 5th October 2012
View Replies!

Free transform: have to dupe the layer?

I like to reduce image size visually, do I have to dupe the layer to use free transform
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 6th October 2012
View Replies!

refine edge & transform

I wanted to select a head from one picture and paste into another. I thought maybe I could use refine edge in my new CS5 and just place it on the background picture. Then I wanted to transform the head so it would be a larger size. When I get it on the background I am not able to change the size using the transform button. Is there another way to do this When you are dealing with a lot of hair it seems that refine edge would be the correct method of selection. Songbird
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

huh? why wont it transform?

heyall, ok i was just innocently drawing when i came across a prob: i painted a small orange dot on on its own layer with my tablet thingy, its a very small dot but it does exist...Then i wanted to transform it and scale it a bit bigger...but then this alert popped up saying "could not transform because the initial bounding rectangle is empty"...does anybody know what that means and how do i fix it I can just draw a bigger dot but yeah, i should probly find out what it means. , It might be that your "paint" is at an opacity level that is too low for PS to recognize for transform. What version are you using Greg , Thanx heaps you too! That must've been exactly what the problem was cos when i duplicated merged and transformed it worked! Greg i'm using version 6 at the moment (uni still uses 6 so i wont change til they do). , hmmmmmmm confused. Greg Psychologically I believe the phrase is "schizophrenia"
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

How can I get the free transform grid?

Like this I can't find it. I'm using CS5.1 Photoshop. I already did the loop tool and I copied and pasted it to a layer. But I can't find the Transform grid.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

free transform REALLY unavailable

I'm working with an exported jpeg from SketchUp and no matter what layer I'm on, nor what mode I'm in, or what tool I choose...Free Transform and Transform seem to be forever greyed out. Does anyone have any idea of the problem PS CS
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

3D transform not installed by default in CS

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already. I recently found out that in CS, the 3D Transform filter (Filter -> Render -> 3D Transform) does not install by default. But it IS included. Check the GOODIES folder on the the install disc (extras & resources), you'll find it there. Drag it to your Plug-ins folder.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 13th October 2012
View Replies!

question about transform feature

question about the transform feature in ps7: what does this feature do to the overall sharpness of an image when using it to correct perspective i want to use it to do major perspective corrections in architectural shots, and then want to make big enlargements (34x49 inches) from the corrected files. from the tests i have done, this feature adds a lot of pixels and creates a lot of grain. any thoughts
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 13th October 2012
View Replies!

alpha image

hello folks im in need of some help,im a total newbie to photoshop and im trying to make my images look like this in the first image,i believe you call it an alpha, im not sure what sofware it was created in(could be artcam) but its my understanding that photoshop can do the same. as a hobby i run a cnc router i built several years back and used to have a software that converted a jpeg or bitmap in the same way but at the click of the mouse,so ive not concerned myself with how its done until now. can anyone point me to a tutorial that will step by step tkae me from importing a photo or image and turning it into what you see in the first image then i can export it to a 3d modeling software like z brush etc ready for machineing
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Applying filters to high-res images has poor effect

When applying filters such as accented edges, ink outline, etc to a medium sized image (1024x768 or 1280x853) produce some pretty cool results. However, when applying those same filters to larger images like files with a 5184x3456 resolution, the filters have little to no effect. I'm guessing this is because there are so many more pixels that altering each pixel has a less noticeable effect. You can see an example here with the accented edges filter run over a smaller version of a picture I took, and then a larger one (that was then downsized to make it viewable): http://www.vcize.com/images/accented-edges-1280x853.jpg http://www.vcize.com/images/accented...-5184x3486.jpg The 1280x853 one looks pretty cool. On the larger 5184x3456 version the filter had almost no noticeable effect. The problem is that I want the cool looking version like is seen in the 1280x853 version, but at a high enough resolution to print on a large canvas that is, say, 40' x 40' or so. Is it possible to get the bigger image to look like the smaller one without losing the resolution required to print it on a canvas that large I've been trying to figure this out for weeks now...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!