Reflected text and gradient question

all,

I hope this is a fairly simple question, but for the life of me I can't figure it out right now.

I have created a new image, with a transparent background. On this transparent image I have some text (coloured white with black border for what is its worth!) which is in layer one, and then I've duplicated this text (in layer two) and flipped it upside down.

What I'd now like to do is add a transparent gradient to the flipped text to fade it out into nothing.

I added a layer mask to the flipped text layer and then tried to add a gradient to the text, but it doesn't add any transparency, it just covers the text in a white to black gradient.

When I tried doing this on some text before on a different image it worked absolutely fine, the only difference was that I didn't use a transparent background. This time I cannot get it to work with the text being on a transparent background.

Annoyingly I managed to get it to work fine using a copy Paint Shop Pro in the office at work, so I'm thinking there must be a way with the mighty Photoshop

I've uploaded the .psd file I've been working on if that helps anyone help me! lol

Really appreciate some advice if anyone doesn't mind helping a beginner :-)

Posted On: Monday 31st of December 2012 01:52:54 AM Total Views:  270
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Photoshop PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Place text on a box's surface??

Please help mee!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Need help with creating text

, Im very new to photoshop and have been messing around learning things here and there. Now I am trying to incorporate text into a picture I edited. What I would like to do is something like this... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v521/Caralvarez8/action=view¤t=textdammit.jpg I can't get text to be that big or make it look like that. If someone could explain this to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Help with font/text issue needed

I have Photoshop 7.0 downloaded on my laptop and my desktop. A while back, I was trying to mess with text qualities for an image and apparently did something wrong that I cannot find how to undo. If I crop an image, suddenly the text size will not go above 18 px. Even if I try to change the font size via the dropdown box at the top, any size I click that is bigger than 18 px will do nothing. If I type in the font size I want (ex. 36) a window comes up saying "A value between 0.00 pixels and 18.0 pixels value is required. Closest Value inserted" The weird thing is, if I don't
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Text wrap inside text

I am trying to wrap some text in other text... Example: Senior shirt where on the back it says "2006" in big bubble letters. Within the bubble letters is a bunch of student names. Hopefully this makes sense...I'm new to photoshop, so please dumb it down for me.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

text a flat line???

I'm trying to add text to a photo... all that happens is a straight line, no letters, what am I doing wrong
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Adding text

Please forgive me if this has already been asked. I've designed my website using Photoshop and saved it as HTML and images everything looks nice and turned out great but when I open the page in either front page or dreamweaver to add text, java script etc. my HTML editors see the template as a sold picture and I am unable to add text. If anyone has any good tutorial links or can explain what I did wrong, I would greatly appreciate any help. See picture for a better understanding of my problem. Taliesin
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Missing text

This problem has been solved.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Problem with the text tool

Okay up until about 2 days ago, the text tool in PS was working fine but now when I try and use it, the little blinking bar is extremely small and doesn't work...I reinstalled PS and that didn't do anything and I also reset all tools...So what could the problem be
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Adding text captions

I want to add captions to my pics. Similiar to cartoon blurbs. Do I have to mae a circle and fill it white and do the text from there, or is there an easier way
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

distorted text on buttons, please help

i am creating some buttons for my site in ps and when i load them into my webpage the text on the buttons are all distorted, anyone know what the problem is
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

I'm having a text issue, please help :)

Hi , I'm new to this forum. I need to learn how to make text be anchored straight on the top, but have the bottom of the letters curve downward as in the photo of this shirt I found: http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/58/58073/astropage1.jpg Can anyone give me a quick pointer
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

how to create animated text gif without any frame using adobe Photoshop cs3

how to create animated text gif without any frame using adobe Photoshop cs3 hi .i am new to this forum .i want to know how to create animated text gif without any frame using adobe Photoshop cs3.i know little bit about photo shop.i create this you see its with in white frame.i want to know how to remove that frame.one of my friend remove that frame and create this.but he didn't tell me how to do it. please tell me how to do it.(i am not good in English)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Logo Design Help - Issue with text

Im trying to design a logo and have the letters linked together. Now to get the deed look I'm after it involves removing/erasing part of another letter, the only way I know to do this is by creating another layer and being extremely careful with the eraser/brush to remove it but it looks a little poor so I need a better way of doing this. There is a logo I have found on Google just to give you an idea called CanyonRacer (im unable to post the image due to being a new member), the A and N are joined together as are the N and R and this is something I need to do, however Im using letters in lower case and the lines aren't straight for the letters like they are in this example. (If you google CanyonRacer logo it's on the 2nd page, yellow logo on a grey background of what looks like a t-shirt) Another example is the CNN Logo where the letters all flow into each other and where the 2 N's join there is no obvious link. And a third and final example, kind of like the well known ebay logo but I don't want the colour overlap, I can get the font to overlap but it's the colour overlap I need to remove. Im using Photoshop CS2 and any help would be greatly appreciated.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

how to do 3d text like this?

i have been trying to find a tutorial on how to do this with photoshop, the only one i could find was for this particular style, which is exactly what i want to learn how to do, but i honestly am not trying to buy the membership needed to do so, and all the other tutorials on similar 3d text are started off in illustrator and i am not all that great with doing the steps needed to complete 3d text in illustrator... any help, insight, links would be great!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Action for metallic copper text

Everyone, Does anyone know where to find a photoshop action for a metallic copper text effect I have googled and there are several tutorials, but no actions. Thank you all immensely!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

how to make text fit in the frame

I want to write few lines of text in Photoshop. I know I can use the Text tool to draw a frame and by default Photoshop will fit the text in that frame, I can change the shape of that frame as well. That's how it used to be. But I probably did something and this setting jumped off Now when I write in a frame the text stays only in one line and when it reaches the end of the line it becomes invisible. When I press Return manually, it still doesn't help, because the cursor doesn't go to the next line . How to I restore the default setting
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

How to create a texture background

Hi all, I'm trygin to figure out how to create nice looking textures for backgrounds. Since I can't post links when I'm a new forum member I'll discribe how to find some examples. Go to dribbble dot com and search for two examples: 1. Search for "little boxes" which is posted by Adam Michela. It shows a really nice texture in the big green area. 2. Search for "Web application" by Ricardo Salazar. See the dark grey texture in the menu area.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

How make text look like this?

all Would somebody help me please, I wanna make text look like this: Arial, 19, bold, that's all I know ;( What effects/layers do I need :o
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

HELP! Trying to create a gritty watercolor effect on text :(

I have been trying to replicate this effect on text but I can't figure it out. I even have the Mister Retro Permanent Press filters but nothing seems to come close to getting this gritty high contrast effect. Please let me know if you know how to do this.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

How to remove a text from image?

How to remove the text from a image and put my custom text. It is a wordpress header image from "evening shade" wordpress theme. wordpress.org/extend/themes/evening-shade
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Problem with selectable text in pdf

all - I'm fairly a newbie and am having a big problem. I create something in .psd and have text elements. I am attempting to then save as .pdf but when I do, I lose selectable text. Can anyone please help direct me on how to make this work A huge
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Trouble with getting selected area to color correctly.

The selcted area has a layer beneath it, however it is not the problem. It keeps coloring the selected area with the colors it was originally colored in, instead of coloring it the color I have selected. The brush and paint bucket are both set to Normal mode so I have Absolutely NO idea what the heck is wrong. What do I do to fix this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Polygonal tool .Can't remember

I used to be able to zoom in and out while using the Polygonal tool in previous versions but CS5 doesn't want to cooperate I'm not sure anymore if it's my imagination that I was able to before anymore. Anyone else notice this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Site, Need help

Well, I have a site 'design' as it were, I was wondering how to use Imageready to make a better looking site, something about the slice tool, If anyone has any tuts, thanks in advance. Welll, here it is, still trying to fix the wallpaper tiling problem, if anyone could help, thanks http://bb.domaindlx.com/FR33K (you should be redirected) Note that I know almost NO html, and this took me half an hour to design, please bear that in mind
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Files open up blank in photoshop

I just recently got a new tower and moved all my files over to its hard drive. I installed a new version of photoshop cs5 and when I open up the files I moved over, they open up blank. I can see everything perfectly in the layers panel, but my document is transparent and all the layers are set to visible. I opened up my illustrator files in illustrator cs5 and they opened up perfectly. So I don't think that its cause of me moving the files, but more of photoshop itself. Also when I go to open them in photoshop it shows a preview of how they look, but still opens up blank.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

InDesign CS2: typing other languages

i'm trying to type chinese or even copy and paste chinese articles into InDesign, using the text boxes, but everything just shows up as little boxes, each character is a little rectangular box. How do i make it work i noticed that there were dictionaries in the preferences settings and i tried to change fro the English dictionary to chinese but there isnt' one and there doesn't seem to be an option for not having a dictionary on either. i can type chinese in photoshop as well as Illustrator......what do i have to do with InDesign help is much appreciated ASAP!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Borders

I have a pic all set up in Photoshop and now I want to put in a border...I am looking to either put in a white border like a matter or sort of a cloudy/fuzzy white border that fades into the pic. any ideas on how to do this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Best way to resize an image

What's the best way to resize an image which has been placed on a background, without losing resolution I know there's free transform but is there a way you can just type in dimensions and it automatically resizes
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Copy then paste with specific position?

I'm batching my signature onto a bunch of photos at the bottom righthand corner. I put my preferences to percentage rather than pixels so I could try things for most sized-photos. My dilemma now goes like this: I record, open my signature, copy & paste to the other image (works fine). The signature shows up in the middle of the other image and rather than moving it manually where it'll be different for vertical and horizontal photos, is it possible to align right and bottom or get specific with entering numbers such as 90% horizontal and 90% vertical placement Basically, when you copy & paste to a different open file, is there a way to specify exactly where it should go when you paste it, or do you have to manually move it
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

I think it's a perspective question

I'm beyond newbie I think, but I don't even know where to begin. How would you change it so that instead of looking dead on at the center it was more of a side view If that's possible all the help, discounting mental, would be appreciated.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Brushes - What are they?

I've seen so many people talking about brushes... can someone actually tell me what they do and show me what can be done with them I have a fair knowledge about photoshop and I just want to advance my skills by finding out what other sort of stuff you can do with photoshop...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Reducing highlights

I have taken a photograph with land in the foreground and sea in the middle and far ground. I was shooting into the sun and sea has too many highlights on it. What is the best way of reducing the intensity of these highlights. I hope I have explained the problem OK. If not let me know.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Katrin Eismann DVDs

With an 8 hour runtime, the DVD shows how to restore and enhance antique and contemporary images with Adobe Photoshop CS2. the images featured on the DVD are included, allowing you to work along with me. For a complete outline and session description please visit: http://www.software-cinema.com/disc_...phpdisc_id=71 As a special promotion we are offering a 15% savings through January 31st. When checking out please use the code KE06 which is valid on ALL Software-Cinema DVDs.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Using photomerge without mixing colours?

Hi ! I would like to use photomerge to blend two pictures together. The only thing is, when I put them together, the colours mix, which I do not want to do. Basically, there is a red image and a blue image that I would like to join together, where in between them, there is a gradual change of colour. Is there a way of doing this I am pretty sure that I am using the wrong method of doing it, and that there is an easier way of doing it. could someone please enlighten me on this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

settings question

I want to move my text over just a couple of pixels from where it was created, but when I attempt to move it of course, it jumps about 20 pixels. When I try to move it back, it again jumps back into the spot in which it was created. I'm sure is a fairly regular question, but I couldn't find the answer via the search feature.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Driving on Water!

fellow ps'ers, I am trying to achieve an effect of tire tracks on water, as if a bus had just driven over it. I'm having a hard time making it look effective....at the moment the best i can do has turned out looking more like snow tracks more than anything else...would anyone have any ideas on how i might achieve this effectively Its supposed to be for a large poster so it has to look pretty good. I hope someone might have some ideas Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Color Range-Sampled Colors is not working.

Since upgrading to CS6: When trying to make a selection with Color Range-Sampled Colors, it just doesn't select anything, even with the fuzziness maxed out. If I'm trying to select black, nothing whatsoever shows up in the preview box in the dialogue box. If it's a lighter color, it appears to barley be working (in the dialogue box preview) with the fuzziness all the way up. But then it gives me the warning that no pixels were more than 50% selected. Anyone have any ideas what is going on.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 30th December 2012
View Replies!

Random shadow appearing on 3d sphere

, not sure how I managed this but I have a random shadow appearing when I made my sphere no idea what setting caused this you can see the shadow on the far right http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...ome_page-3.gif
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Changing the Color in this Image

Is there a way I can change the blue color (see attached image) to teal The PMS color is 328 (teal). I have Photoshop 6.0.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

I would like help recreating this background.

, once again. I am posting again to ask your advice and to ask for your help recreating an effect. The effect is to recreate the white, bright sheen and/or gradient contained in these pics. I already know how to crop out characters, but I need help recreating the colored background. Here's two images along with red lines around what I want to recreate. If you need more clarity, ask me and I'll try to explain it again. But I
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 31st December 2012
View Replies!