How to select a layer inside of a Group, w/ shortcut?

Question: How to select a specific layer inside of a Group, with a shortcut

Need a shortcut command...

I can select an individual layer by holding CTRL and clicking on an area of the image (which is on a layer) in my document. This will direct me exactly to the layer by highlighting it (under layers). This makes it easy to find an area of the art/and the layer it's on.

I am wondering if there is a similar way to select an image that is inside of a Group (in CS3)

When using the CTRL and click on image command, it goes directly to the Group folder the image is in (instead of the exact layer it's on). I would like to have a command that will go directly to the layer in a group.

I do know about right clicking on an image area and getting a list of the layers. I do not want this.

Anyone know about this

Posted On: Friday 26th of October 2012 12:12:27 AM Total Views:  92
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Photoshop PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

selecting only the image on a white background

As you may have guessed, I am new to Photoshop. I am fairly patient but learning something specific can be difficult. Last weekend it took me 4 hours to figure out how to put a radii on the corners of a picture. I want to design a website and I really need to bump the pace up I have a gif with a image and my ultimate goal is to save the image only, change the color of this image and put it on a background image in a repeated pattern. I've been looking at the tile tutorials for the pattern, but the image comes out horribly distorted and without space in between. The background itself is a gradient color (another 2 hour adventure) so I need the image without any background. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. It can be tough looking for tutorials when you don't even know what particular function you need to utilize.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

HELP, pencil tool possessed- applying colors I don't select

I have Photoshop 5.0 LE on my PC. I'm an advanced beginner user of this program. Two weeks ago it started having problems. When I use the pencil tool to change the color of a pixel, it colors black on gray or medium-dark pixels, no matter what is selected in the foreground color box. I can select a color with the eyedropper. But, when I try to apply the color onto a light or medium colored pixel it puts a variety of related colors in each pixel as I move the tool. None of these colors are what is in the forground box. If I go back over the same pixels it applies a darker shade of those same colors. Sometimes it puts on the color from the adjacent pixel. I try to redo the eyedropper to the correct color, but it does no good. I try closing down the program and reopening to no avail. WHAT is going on and how to I fix it the while the spray and paintbrush tool will apply the correct color. It's just the pencil tool.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

[Q] how to select only the "stuff" on a layer

I would like to be able to only select only the stuff that is on a layer. Say for instance I write some text. How do I select only the text That way I can use other tools but only effect a specific area.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

floating selection

hi, is there a way to paste a selection from one image to another as a floating selection like u can in paint shop pro
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Adding selection of separate layer to layer mask?

Hi , I have a stock photo and a separate image file that is the black and white layer mask for that photo, but I cannot figure out how to add the selection of this black and white mask and to the actual layer mask for the photo. It's been incredibly frustrating trying to figure out how to do this as I am new Photoshop and it seems like such a simple problem to solve. I'm very
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Turn selection marquee into an outline?

In Photoshop CS4, when I make a selection, using the Rectangle Marquee tool, or even the Quick Selection tool, is it possible to turn the "dancing ants" into a line...into an outline of the selected area I'll post an example.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

adjustment to selection

There was another thread with the same problem but it didn't seem to be answered for my use. I can use an adjustment such as Brightness/Contrast or Curves to a selection in a picture but if I promote the selection to its own layer, then the adjustments affect the whole picture. How do I make them work only on the selection layer Many
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Coloring within a selected area

I know there is a way to actually brush within a selected area with magic wand. And u can actually color freely without affecting colors out of the border, because colors wont appear out of the border. Anyone have any idea how it is done
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

PS CS4 PROBLEM - pen, zoom, and selection tool problems

Hi all, cannot believe how frustrating this has been for me, especially since it is sporadic, but occurring about 80% of the time: System: OS 10.6.5 PS Extended CS4 Everything updated from OS, to video drivers, to wacom tablet drivers, to PS When my PS is acting up the following probs occur with my tools: Zoom tool - one press of the zoom, zooms the image all the way in. Closing PS, restarting, nothing seems to eliminate prob. Pen tool - pen tool will not accurately display the actual angle of a curve when drawing from anchor point to anchor point. only wants to display 90 degree angles. BUT, if held in the right position, it will jump to the curve i'm looking for after click has been completed. of course its hard to execute anything if you can't see it. Crop tool - one click will create a crop from my point of contact up to the top left corner of my document. no way to change this. Selection tool, Lasso tool - when other tools are not working, these aren't either. can't see them at all. These probs have to be related because when the tools are working, all is fine, when they are not, i can't work at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled PS. I have dumped preferences. I have deactivated OpenGL. Nothing seems to work. PLEASE HELP!!!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Embedded, selectable text pane in fireworks or photoshop???

Hi hope you can help. I've designed a website using fireworks (including roll overs etc) and would like to have a frame or pane set into the designed page that allowed the items such as text to be shown and to be selectable or ideally HTML based. Essentially i want the buttons that i have designed in fireworks to open the frame on an internal pane or frame so that the whole page does not need to be reloaded just the frame or pane. Hope that makes sense.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

selecting trapezoid, would like to stretch

I have a picture that is slightly a rhombus. I would like to select the four corners using the polygon lasso tool, and would then like to paste it, but stretch the corners so it becomes a perfect square. I have been trying this with the perspective, but am not having any luck. I am using the Photoshop 6 for windows.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

How to change colour in a selection, affecting all layers?

I have this picture with 10 layers... normal, masks etc.. all sort of stuff..now, I want to change the colour of a selection of the picture, but I dont want to flatten it first... how to I do that I tried a replace colour mask, but that seems to apply to only 1 layer....
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Save in PSD and keep selected area intact, how?

I have a little dilemma at the moment. I've spent a good half an hour or more using the Lasso tools to select a bunch area's while in a very high resolution so I can use a filter on certain areas. Well that filter is bugged for some reason. And I need to restart Photoshop. But when I save it as a PSD. And open it again. My selection is gone and I'm left with my unselected image. So, Does anyone know how to save your project, while still keeping the selection lines intact Please & Thank you.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Problem! (color selection)

HI! i have got this really anoying problem with photoshop. when i am using the colour sample tool to get a colour the colour goes to the bottom colour not the top colour! any help please
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 13th October 2012
View Replies!

making selections around hair

hi, I'm having problems with sillouetting around people's hair. i want to put a different background behind this little girl and I can't get it work around her hair.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

contract/smooth selection not working on image edge

I think this screen shot will explain what's happening... The selection modifications are not working on the edge of the selection that's on the edge of the image. Why is this How do I fix it
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

CS 2 help..layer selecting

I have CS 2 at work and home...at work I can select multiple layers by holding down shift and clicking the mouse..and I can link them in the layer pallette but on CS2 at home I cannot do this..is there something I am missing Do I need to turn something on to do this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

how do I copy a selection

What I mean is, how do I make a duplicate of the selection outline Say, for example, I used the magic wand to select a circular shape, and then I wanted another selection of the exact same shape somewhere else in my canvas. How would I copy the first one I know how to copy the contents of the selection (select move tool, position over selection, hold down ALT, and click and drag), and I know how to move the selection area itself (select the marquee tool, make sure it's on "New selection", position over selection, click and drag), and I know how to save and load a selection (but as soon as I load it, all current selections dissappear), but how do I duplicate the selection area (not the selection contents) , ctrl + j
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

perfectly selectin something

I was looking at diff posts, such as the car chopshop and the "removing the background" -or soemthing liek that post. I was just wondering how u could just remove the background so perfectly, or just take out the car so cleanly. I read that u could use a quick mask, paint around edges, invert, delete, etc. is there any other way to remove a background or to select a specific part of a pic Also, i read that "masters use the pen tool" could anyone elaborate on this wat do tehy use the pen tool for could u provide an example thx
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

question about select marquee

um yeah i keep havin this problem on big selections is there some way I can like stop for a sec or something or even pick up my mouse do pens have a button you can press , Quick mask mode allows you to paint the selection using a transparent Rubylith type overlay, the deselected areas are appear coated in red, and selected areas appear without the red coating. Make a rough selection and then enter Quick mask mode by pressing "Q" and youll see the sellection turn from marching ants to the rubylith, then grab your brush and paint with white to add to the selection and black to subtract fromthe selection. Pressing "Q" again takes you back to standard mode where you will find your new selection of marching ants. The good thing is you can use any kind of brush to create soft or hard edges of the selection....sweeeeeet , Way to go el Brujo and vogonpoet; thanks for helping. el_Brujo: Excellent tutorial/information! Great job. Let me echo vogonpoet and say "nice guitar" as well. Stevos: Does this help illuminate the process for you That's what's so great about this community, always someone willing to help another out. Great job ! Rick
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!