General PS question

I just went back to college and I'm getting a bachelor of fine arts, computer imaging degree. Will traditional art classes like drawing, painting, and sculpture help me in PS The degree also specializes in indesign and publisher.
Posted On: Monday 29th of October 2012 09:10:55 PM Total Views:  325
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Photoshop PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Two general questions !

First off i read the thread about the free and easy programs and my first question is this what program would be highly recommended to start off with or should i just choose one and run with it Secondly, i was wondering what the term "Image has been compressed to JPEG twice" means or if any of you have even heard that term before
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 12th September 2012
View Replies!

Cloud shading? Or clouds in general.

. I'm completely new to Photoshop (only started yesterday), but I've been playing with it and it's fun. My problem is that I've tried creating a picture, but the clouds I made don't exactly look much like clouds. What I did to make them was to render clouds, then adjust levels to create cloud shapes, and transformed perspective. Then I set it to 25% opacity against a red/orange background. However, as you can see, there are no shadows on the clouds, and it looks kind of bad in general. My question is: how would I go about shading the clouds And if the clouds are extremely bad, how would I go about making more believable ones Also, is there anything else about my picture that I can/should improve Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I'm new at this kind of thing.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 12th September 2012
View Replies!

Please help (albums and general instruction)

, yeah basically Im a some what a noob with photoshop...Im from computerforums, if any of you are from there, wassup..Yeah Im preetty good with computers, but now Im trying to get some photoshop Cs 2 going..Anyow, Im gonna be working for my dads friend, he does profesional photogrpahy, for weddings and such...Just wondering, he showed me a 11*12 album today, and some stuff was amazing..anyhow, does anyone know of a site, where I can get some album layouts ect Is anyone here into this type of work Or is it just all sigs, logos, website lyouts for you ..Heh
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

A general question about Drop Shadows

As I learned how to make graphics, I found great use with the Drop Shadow ability. Especially when used with text; a nice soft, lighty blurred drop shadow would do wonders for the overall image. But too many times do I see graphics with that ugly, heavy, and greatly offset dropshadow. Sure enough it actually DETRACTS the realism from the image. To say something like this is probably shortsighted. I'm new here, so I wanted to ask you , "Do you ever have any use for dropshadows that are heavy, offset by large differences, or the like"
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

need help creating a vector file / eps. Please!

I've created a flyer for someone and they have asked for the file to be sent to them as an eps. I see that I can select this option in photshop, but Ive heard bad things about ps's capability to produce a good vector file. Is that true Also, I see a bunch of options to select prior to saving. Things like ASCII85, halftone screen, PostScript Color Mgmt... Can someone help me know what I should be doing I have a deadline of today, so any help would save me.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Post Apocalypse

[img][/img]
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Changing a.psd to a .jpg image

I have been trying to make an invitation card for a birthday. I used the measurements from an old one I had, W 8.213 inches - H 3.827 inches. When I create a .jpg from the .psd the dimensions change to W10.267 inches - H 4.783 inches. I have flattened the layers then saved the original .psd file, so could anyone please help me out with this.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Rookie here...Need some quick tips

, A total rookie here. I just purchase PS, AI, etc... I have a small business and I am working on making brochures, catalogs, etc. for my products. One of our main products is a safety flag. That is, it has a steel base at one end of a fiberglass rod, long a fiberglass rod, and flag at the other end of the long fiberglass rod. It is very difficult to take pictures of a product that is this "long" and "skinny" and expect good resolution. Therefore, I instead took closeups on each end of the safety whip i.e. the steel mounting base, and the flag at the top of the rod. I used PS on these 2 images to remove the background and clean around the edges. So, now I have 2 images. One of the steel mounting base that is clean and one of the flag that is clean. I need help to "re-construct" a fiberglass rod which I can place the clean picture of the steel mounting base at one end and clean flag at the other. How do I "re-make" a fiberglass rod that is white and looks somewhat realistic That is, the rod should lay horizontal, but look like it has a "roundness" to it (not just a long white rectangle). I assume that I need to do this with shadowing to simulate that the rod is round and not just a white rectangle that I created\t To complicate it slightly more is that the base end of the fiberglass rod is slightly larger than the top end of the fiberglass rod. What I mean is that the rod is "tapered" from the base end to the top end. Is this a PS challenge Or, should I be using AI I know that this is probably very simple, but I am not sure how to do this. So, any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance! Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

What steps to take? Need help.

I am trying to make a icon like this one (listed below) but I do not know where to start start. If someone can tell me the step or give me a link to a tut for it that will help.(want to do the work myself)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Time lapse image (non-animated)

I'm a total noob in PS, so you might want to explain each step if possible... I would like to make a single time-lapse image like this one: The images contain moving characters and mostly stable background. I have the images in an .MOV, and I can import them into PS distributed in layers (400 layers/1680x1050 for the win). I tried some stuff with 5 frames, and I was able to make them all 20% transparent... Is there a way to reduce the impact of the background Because it stand out too much... Is there a way to make them all a certain amount transparent at once I've been selecting them individually, because the menu turns grey when I select them all. If this isn't possible I'll write a macro for it... I hope one of you is online now... Thank you in advance ;)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Steps that could be taken to do this?

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1904/conansmall.jpg So I would like take that image, remove all the Conan title and create background to fill in the white space it will leave, get rid of the bar code, and then add text behind and above his head as a mask so that i could use the texture of the background masked by text to create letters of a different hue with the same texture...so it would look like part of the painting... advice steps
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Error with ps cs4

I got some trouble with my new photoshop and i can't findout why so i hope someone can help me. all the pics i open i like a grid pattern and unclear and when i start a new one its just a white background with black triangles. so its kinda annoing since i can't use it then.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Should a photograph be reduced in steps or all at once?

I've heard that when making a photograph smaller in Photoshop the results are better if it's done in steps instead of all at once. If this is true how much should it be reduced each time and should the change in pixels per inch be done before reducing the image My camera saves at 300 ppi at 3872 pixels wide (sometimes they are cropped which makes them smaller) and for the web I need about 500 pixels wide at 72 ppi.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Creating web pages in ps

Fairly new at this, but gonna have a go at creating a home page in ps. Just unsure of size to work from that is the correct size in web browser. Understand a little on slicing it up and optimizing it so a little help appreciated a lot, and sorry if im being a little lazy here sooty
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

"Transfer" in brush options keeps checking itself

I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet, and I'm trying to get better at drawing in Photoshop CS5. Recently, all of a sudden, the "transfer" option in the Brush options/presets keeps on checking itself. I don't want the brush opacity to be set by pen pressure, but whenever I uncheck it or even change around some of the options in there, it goes back to being checked when I start drawing. I really don't want to have my pen pressure determine the brush opacity! Please help! This is really giving me problems. If you need more details or screenshots, just ask.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Photoshop type dropshadow in Illustrator?

, Ok got Illustrator CS at work and was wondering how I could create the following effect in it http://www.yduk.net/imgtest.gif That was created in Photoshop using the following Drop Shadow options: Blend Mode: Normal Distance: 0 Spread:100 Size: 10 Now, in Illustrator you just get blur - it doesn't quite work the same, I have no idea why they don't just use the tools found in photoshop to allow you to change all of this Reason I'm asking is because I want to import these words into flash and I want to be able to scale them without losing quality. Flash has the most basic tools I have ever seen for graphics so I can't see it being able to be done in there. Anyone know how to replicate this in Illustrator so I can use it as a vector in flash Cheers, Chris
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

i cant delete .psd files

my computer wont let me delete or move .psds. says a program is using it right now.. but photosop is not open...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Converting Bitmaps to Vectors.

Hi can anyone tell me how to convert bitmaps to vectors. I have both Photoshop and Illustrator, is there any plug-ins to achieve this or any online tutorials that will help.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Adobel PS CS User with Epson Photo Sylus 2200

I'm a relative novice with PS but have had it since PS 4.0. However, have procured Epson's 2200 for my photo printing and note some variances of monitor view versus printer view. I wonder if there are others who are experiencing similar setup problems with the Color Settings feature of PS CS, or for that matter PS 7.0, et al. Would be interested in other folk's comments or suggestions.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!

Advice & tips please (sin city look)

I am so frustrated right now. Last night i spent 5 hours searching for and going through as many tutorials as i could find on the sin city loko, But every one i do looks sh*t No matter how i change my levels they dont look anything good. Or if i use 'artistic/cutout' it looks horrible. After giving up last night i got my book out this morning and rewent through the level chapters to refresh my mind. My fav of them all is http://www.dphclub.com/tutorials/sin...oshop-tutorial But as i said i cant get my levels right, Also what is annoying is he dont go into much detail with the rain effect, Which is the most important aspect of the photo. Also when ever i do the rain ther eis way to much. but i'm following the tutorial\t\t : Has any one got any suggestions or advice for me Or maybe point me in the direction of getting a better rain effect. like the sin city pictures. I will keep trying today. got all daya s in bed ill :/
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 29th October 2012
View Replies!