Update String sql server

How are you I hope you are well. I am developing a program in C# and it's about Business card so whenever I receive a business card I can save it through this application. So I have an issue with the update string it gives me this error:- Invalid column name 'PlaceOfWork' Invalid coulumn name 'POBox'.
And here is the String

String sql = "update BusinessCard set EmployeeName = '" + txt_Name.Text + "', Rank= '" + txt_Rank.Text + "',mobilePhone= '" + txt_mobilePhone.Text + "',MobilePhone='" + txt_phone.Text + "',Fax ='" + txt_Fax.Text + "',Email='" + txt_email.Text + "',PlaceOfWork='" + txt_plcOfWrk.Text + "',POBox='" + txt_POBox.Text + "',Address='" + txt_address.Text + "'where ID = " + txt_ID.Text;

any Help you could Provide in this matter would be greatly appreciate it.

best regards

Posted On: Monday 31st of December 2012 01:15:31 AM Total Views:  279
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Microsoft SQL Server PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Help with update query

Hi. I have no idea how to do following: I have two columns, ident and name. Now i need to update ident with existing ident + following int which must be incremental. Looks like this: ident ident1 ident1 ident2 ident3 ident3 ident3 What i would like to have is: ident11 ident12 ident21 ident31 ident32 ident33 etc. Thx in advance.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 25th October 2012
View Replies!

Database structure update

Hi i m trying to update the structure of 100+ database using the following code declare @name varchar(max) DECLARE db_cursor CURSOR FOR SELECT name FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases WHERE name NOT IN ('master','model','msdb','tempdb') OPEN db_cursor FETCH NEXT FROM db_cursor INTO @name WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 BEGIN /* Run the upgrade script */ DBCC CHECKIDENT ("@name.tInterestCharges", RESEED, 0) FETCH NEXT FROM db_cursor INTO @name end CLOSE db_cursor DEALLOCATE db_cursor GO and i m getting the following error: Could not find database '@name'. The database either does not exist, or was dropped before a statement tried to use it. Verify if the database exists by querying the sys.databases catalog view. this look like it is not using the value @name. did i miss anything
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Which row was last updated ?

hi i want to create a trigger for update in mssql. in my trigger i want to know which row was updated how can i achieve this info
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Cursor update creating nulls

So I've created a bit of code to remove some virus garbage that's been plaguing some of my clients, but it seems since I've tried using a cursor to streamline the process a bit it's just filling in the fields with nulls. Code: use db7021 go select * from products go declare @desc varchar(max) declare @virus varchar(128) set @virus = '' declare @start int declare @end int declare thecursor CURSOR LOCAL SCROLL_LOCKS for select cdescription from products where cdescription like ('%' + @virus + '%') for update of cdescription open thecursor fetch next from thecursor into @desc while @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 begin print @desc set @start = charindex(@virus, @desc) set @end = @start + len(@virus) print cast(@start as char) + ', ' + cast(@end as char) set @desc = left(@desc, @start - 1) + right(@desc, len(@desc)-@end+1) update products set cdescription = @desc where current of thecursor fetch next from thecursor into @desc end close thecursor deallocate thecursor select * from products go Which produces the output: Code: id cname cdescription ----------- ----------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 banana sometext 0.962398 2 apple sometext 1.9248 3 lolcat sometext 2.88719 4 cheezburgr sometext 3.84959 (4 row(s) affected) sometext 0.962398 41 , 89 (1 row(s) affected) sometext 1.9248 41 , 89 (1 row(s) affected) sometext 2.88719 41 , 89 (1 row(s) affected) sometext 3.84959 41 , 89 (1 row(s) affected) id cname cdescription ----------- ------------ ------------ 1 banana NULL 2 apple NULL 3 lolcat NULL 4 cheezburgr NULL (4 row(s) affected) I trimmed out alot of whitespace from the results for the sake of readability, but aside from that this is everything I've got. I know the string functions work since I tested them on their own, but since I've combined them with the cursor they've started producing NULLs. Maybe I've missed something in the syntax for cursors
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Batch updates and Triggers

I am running a statment that updates 248 records in a table. That table has a trigger on update. The First thing that the trigger does is to declare a number of variables and then set them using the values from the inserted and deleted temp tables. This works fine when you are updating one row at a time but when you run a batch update it errors. I believe this is because i am assuming that in a batch update a single row will be updated and then the trigger fired, then the next row and so on. I now know that this is not the case. Is there a way of linking the 3 variables (see Below) so they all return information form a single row. Declare @ApplicantId Int, @NewStatus Int, @OldStatus Int Set @ApplicantId = (Select ApplicantID from Inserted) Set @NewStatus = (Select StatusID from Inserted) Set @OldStatus = (Select StatusID from Deleted) Hope that makes sense
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Convert from Char to Smalltimedate update problem

The problem... A new value is inserted automatically with (convert(smalldatetime,getdate()103)) to a smalldatetime field (date) into a new row in the db Existing data needs to be updated via an html form in the format dd/mm/yyyy - I get this when I try: Error The conversion of char data type to smalldatetime data type resulted in an out-of-range smalldatetime value Obviously the db field doesnt like trying to update a smalldatetime field with a char type value. As the date field needs to use some SQL later with DATEADD, I cant change the date field to char. (The date feild accepts dd/mm/yyyy if I use Enterprise Manager and type it strait in but not via the update on a web page) The question... How do I change the update SQL to convert from Char to Smalltimedate to accept dd/mm/yyyy ( I am using MS-SQL and ASP3 JS and new(ish) to MS-SQL)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

table Self-joins with updates

table = PEOPLE Name Money Type ----- ----- ---- Steve 400 R Steve 100 R Paul 500 R Paul 100 R Matt 500 R Matt 200 R Matt 0 T Steve 0 T Paul 0 T I'm trying to add-up all of the Money values for each Name and store them into their names, but under Type 'T'. after the update command it should look like this Name Money Type ----- ----- ---- Steve 400 R Steve 100 R Paul 500 R Paul 100 R Matt 500 R Matt 200 R Matt 700 T Steve 500 T Paul 600 T
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

across server update and select issues

everybody. I am attempting the following relatively simple SQL. UPDATE Server.db.dbo.table1 SET Value = @Value WHERE Id IN (SELECT Id FROM table2) This update is taking up to 1 minute. However if I remove the select and replace with actual values the update is completed instantly ie UPDATE Server.db.dbo.table1 SET Value = @Value WHERE Id IN (id1, id2, id3) The select is also instant if executed in isolation. But when these two statements are combined time taken is too long Please note that the update is occurring on a different server and that table1 does contain update triggers. Any ideas on why this is happening Cheers!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Automatcaly create and/or update Table link from Access

I'm aware of how to create a function that automaticaly update my Table links from my Access FrontEnd to tables in a MS-SQL database : Public Sub RefreshLinksSQL() On Error GoTo RefreshLinks_Error Dim X As Integer, tbds As TableDefs Set tbds = CurrentDb.TableDefs For X = 0 To tbds.Count - 1 Select Case tbds(X).Attributes Case dbAttachExclusive, dbAttachSavePWD, dbAttachedTable, dbAttachedODBC tbds(X).RefreshLink End Select Next X Exit Sub RefreshLinks_Error: MsgBox Err.Number & ":" & Err.Description, vbCritical End Sub ----------------------------------- How do I create a link to another MS-SQL database (a subscriber with the same tables). Either by pointing to another database (System DSN) and just let it change the table links to this, or by writing a code with the name of each table I wornt to link. If this is posible, is there then a way where at the same time can point out what is the key in each table (or view) Romanov
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

changing one field updates 3 other fields, use a join?

i currently have a table like this.. Code: user_id username app_id app2_id app3_id app4_id 1 john 3 4 5 6 2 mike 4 5 6 6 3 manager 4 5 6 6 4 vicepres 5 6 6 6 5 ceo 6 6 6 6 6 board 6 6 6 6 the basic pattern is... a user has approvers, and those approvers have approvers as well... i have 4 columns of approvers.. and if my first approver is the manager, then my second approver will be the managers approver and my third approver will be the managers approver's approver and so on.. on my actual page, i have select fields for the app, app2, app3, app4 and i need it so that when i change the very first app, it'll automatically update app2, app3, and app4 any ideas how i would do this im pretty new to sql but im thinking i would use some type of join
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 26th October 2012
View Replies!

Fulltext index key issue

my stored procedure to create a table: Code: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_AddContents] @strDB varchar(50) AS BEGIN DECLARE @strSQL nvarchar(4000) SET @strSQL = 'CREATE TABLE ' + @strDB + '.dbo.contents ( [idkey] [bigint] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT FOR REPLICATION NOT NULL, [contents] [varchar](max) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [tags] [varchar](max) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [userID] [int] NULL, [hiddenTags] [varchar](max) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [title] [varchar](255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [theDate] [datetime] NULL, [timekey] [varchar](max) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, CONSTRAINT [PK_contents] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ( [idkey] ASC ) )' EXEC sp_executesql @strSQL END and this is my code so far to enable fulltext indexing: Code: 'enable new database for fulltext indexing dbConn.Execute("exec sp_fulltext_database 'enable'") 'create full text indexing on contents 'sqlFullContents = "exec sp_Fulltext_Contents '" & serverName & "'" 'dbConn.Execute(sqlFullContents) catName = serverName & "_contents_catalog" dbConn.Execute("exec sp_fulltext_catalog '" & catName & "','create'") dbConn.Execute("exec sp_fulltext_table @tabname='contents', @action='create', @ftcat=[" & CatName & "], @keyname=[PK_idkey]") my error: Code: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14' [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]'fullID' is not a valid index to enforce a full-text search key. A full-text search key must be a unique, non-nullable, single-column index which is not offline, is not defined on a non-deterministic or imprecise nonpersisted computed column, and has maximum size of 900 bytes. Choose another index for the full-text key. C:\WEBSITES\GHAAP\../global/connections/dbCreate.asp, line 106 line 106: Code: dbConn.Execute("exec sp_fulltext_table @tabname='contents', @action='create', @ftcat=[" & CatName & "], @keyname=[PK_idkey]") I don't have clue what to do to fix the error, as i don't even understand it Shem
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 7th November 2012
View Replies!

Impersonate user in executing stored procedure

I want to execute a stored procedure as another user.For that , I'm using the following syntax: EXEC as 'user' The error I'm getting is: Incorrect syntax near ' as'.Am I doing something wrong
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 10th November 2012
View Replies!

We are perparing the exam please solve some questions answer

What is the maximum value that can be stored for a datetime field a. Dec 31, 9999 b. Jun 6, 2079 c. Jan 1, 2753 d. Jan 1, 2100 What is the correct SQL syntax for selecting all the columns where the "LastName" is alphabetically between (and including) "Hansen" and "Pettersen" a. SELECT * FROM Persons WHERE LastName > 'Hansen', LastName < 'Pettersen' b. SELECT LastName > 'Hansen' AND LastName < 'Pettersen' FROM Persons c. SELECT * FROM customers WHERE LastName > 'Hansen' AND LastName > 'Pettersen' d. SELECT * FROM Persons WHERE LastName BETWEEN 'Hansen' AND 'Pettersen' Which of the following statements is not true about the table object in SQL Server a. A table can have only 1024 columns b. Multiple Tables with the same name can be created within the same database c. A column in a table can have the same name as that of the table d. statements are true e. statements are false You should avoid the use of cursors because: a. They are very difficult to implement b. Programs with cursors take more time to run, hence performance degrades c. programs with cursors are more lengthy, hence they consume more space/memory d. No, you must maximize the use of cursors because they improve performance Consider the following queries: 1. select * from employee where department LIKE "[^F-M]%"; 2. select * from employee where department = "[^F-M]%"; Select the correct option: a. Query 2 will return an error b. Both the queries will return the same set of records c. Query 2 is perfectly correct d. Query 2 would return one record less than Query 1 Which of the following options is correct about identity(seed, increment) a. The increment parameter can never be negative b. The increment can be 0 c. More than one columns in a table can be assigned the identity property d. The identity property value for a column assures uniqueness of a row e. None of the above Which of the following is not a global variable a. @@colcount b. @@error c. @@rowcount d. @@version e. are valid global variables Consider the following two tables: 1. customers( customer_id, customer_name) 2. branch ( branch_id, branch_name ) What will be the output if the following query is executed: Select * branch_name from customers,branch a. It will return the fields customer_id, customer_name, branch_name b. It will return the fields customer_id, customer_name, branch_id, branch_name c. It will return the fields customer_id, customer_name, branch_id, branch_name, branch_name d. It will return an empty set since the two tables do not have any common field name e. It will return an error since * is used alone for one table only Which of the following is not a valid Numeric datatypes in SQL Server a. INT b. SMALLINT c. TINYINT d. BIGINT e. MONEY Which of the following datatypes is not supported by SQL-Server a. Character b. Binary c. Logical d. Date e. Numeric f. are supported Which of the following are false for batches (batch commands) a. Statements in a batch are parsed, compiled and executed as a group b. None of the statements in the batch is executed if there are any syntax errors in the batch c. None of the statements in the batch is executed if there are any parsing errors in the batch d. None of the statements in the batch is executed if there are any fatal errors in the batch
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 11th November 2012
View Replies!

Select Into

Hiya, I'm thinking of copying data from multiple tables in one DB to a single table in another DB, then set this up to happen every 10 minutes or so My only concern with SELECT INTO, is that I can't seem to overwrite the data in the target table without first deleting it. Is there a way round this. I would need people who are currently loading data from the target database to not loose connectivity. Or is there another way to do this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 20th November 2012
View Replies!

Executing Stored Procedures

I have a stored procedure that when exected does some inserts etc which works fine and at the end of the procedure it executes another stored procedure and i would like to pass a parameter @TON2 to this other stored procedure as shown below. @TON2 is a variable that is created from another variable previously passed to this stored procedure '@TON' then adding 2 to it. @TON+2. DECLARE @TON2 Int SELECT @TON2= @TON+'2' EXECUTE dbo.TestOrderProcessExtra '@TON2' When executing the stored procedure from the browser i recieve the following error. Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. Can anyone help with this one
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Max no of column in data table

Hi , i am building an data table in sql 2005 , anyone aware or know that how many number of data column can i have in data table. Since no of fields which i want to store in data table is around 8000 , as far as i know its only some 1274 columns may be i am wrong. kindly suggest is it possible. is there any limitation for row also if yes , what is the limitation.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Working with dates in SQL strings

, I wonder if you could help, I am trying to extract records from my database which are BETWEEN two dates. The date field in my databse contains the dates in Short date format, like dd/mm/yyyy. The SQL string I am using is as follows, but it just does not seem to work! It doesnt give any errors, but just doesnt extract any records (which definitely exist). ...FROM Advertisers WHERE Paid = 'yes' AND (dateAdded BETWEEN " & formatDateTime("01/01/05",2) & " AND " & formatDateTime("01/01/06",2) & ")" I am new to working with dates so there is obviously something I am doing wrong ( Your help would be so much appreciated, manyyyy
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

All I want for the Holidays...

The feeling of the holiday season is in the air: people are whistling, the birds are migrating, and Old Jack Frost has decided to pay a visit once more. Of course, when youre in South Florida, that means that the air outside has dropped to a nippy 22 degrees Celsius, that is. Yes, the sweater inducing room temperature is almost too much for us Floridians to handle, but we get through. When it gets this nice and cool, one cant help but be happy, think about music, love, and look nostalgically back at sitting down in front of a warm glow, taking in some of those wonderful holiday treats: Cookies, Cocoa, and HotJava. In fact, this time of year makes me think of that wonderful holiday classic, The Night Santa Went Crazy, by the masterful Al Yankovick; its what I like listening to on the long drives from Ft. Lauderdale to the frozen tundra of Tampa, FL, where my family takes residence. Its always interesting to pull up next to the house and see them there, enjoying the weather next to their Igloo. Holiday traveling: theres nothing in the world like it. Of course, the feeling of the holiday season isnt just about temperatures, travels, and things remembered. To a great many of us, this is the season for giving kind of like celebrating a month long birthday party. Of course, we here at Developer Shed are always in the giving spirit towards our readers, which is why this month were giving away a FREE Sound Blaster MP3+ USB External Sound Card. Thats right, folks, you no longer have to sit through those long flights and drives with nothing more than the crappy sound card your laptop or PDA came with. This nice little item allows you to have high quality sound in even the most aurally challenged portable devices. This is truly a highly deed item, by man and beast alike! But how, pray tell, do you enter this months giveaway The rules are simple: 1) Write and submit an article to norbert@developershed.com, with the subject "Developer Shed MP3+ Contest" for publication in any of our websites and win this awesome device, featured in an upcoming review. (Don't worry. The review was written before our marketing monks came up with the contest, so the review's content has not been affected.) The article, a tutorial, hardware review, tech-oriented personal experience tale, or news-worthy report on a tech related field (no corporate business coverage of X, Inc. is suing Y.com, please), must be about one of the topics covered on one of the following websites: Dev Shed, ASP Free, Dev Articles, Dev Hardware, and SEO Chat. This pretty much covers all aspects of development and todays technology. The article must be at least 1500 words in length, subdivided into at least 5 pages of information. (Check out http://www.devhardware.com/hardware/how-to/809,1/ for an example of what were looking for.) 2) The Contest runs until December 31, 2003, so your article must be in by that time. Articles may be submitted in the following formats: DOC, SWX, RTF, TXT, and HTML (please do not use the Save as HTML function in MS Word or Star Office). If there are images in the story, please send them in a .ZIP file containing both the pictures and the article. Articles (and inquiries) should be sent to norbert@developershed.com, with the subject "Developer Shed Contest Entry." 3) Judging will look at subject matter, quality of content (so make it interesting), and grammar. In fact, chances are that if we have to edit it, you ain't winning. It might still be published, so not all is lost! You may yet still have the chance at the fame and geek chic that comes with having your writings read by millions worldwide. I don't want to have to spend three days correcting grammatical mistakes, though - I'm not your English teacher, daing it! By submitting an article you agree to give Developer Shed exclusive publication rights to the story. the credit for genius, however, will stay with you, so no worries about my placing our grubby little name on the story and claiming that its our brainchild. The winner will be announced on the website and via phone call, or e-mail, or IM which ever is easiest to reach him/her at. Start your typing!!! Gnorb P.S. Check this posting once in a while in case there's something which needs to be changed in the contest rules.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Spid auto clearing time

everybody, We tries to connect to the database, a new process (SPID) is created. Even when we close all connections properly, the SPID remains and it is automatically cleared after some time locally. On our hosting server we see that the SPIDs are not cleared for quite long time. any SPs/functions idea on finding out the clearing time
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

database structure help

ok need a bit of help with creating a database for the structre of my company, the attached image is an example of the hierachy in my company (ignore the names) I'm ok with the staff table but my main problem is with the department table. This is how I had it at first DeptID (primary key) DeptName DeptHead (staff members id - foreign key) Level Parent In the image you should see the level number beneath the dept name, fairly obvious what I thought here. And again Parent refers to the parent field directly above, for instance in this case the parent of the Hats Department would be Candles, parent of Candles would be Bakery, parent of Bakery would be board..... now onto the problem.... With this example if I wanted to list in the hats department I could use an SQL statement roughly like this SELECT * FROM Staff,Department WHERE (Department.Dept=hats or Department.Parent=hats) AND (Staff.DeptID=Department.DeptID) now what this would return would be in the hats and fishmonger department....however I also need to list in Candles, Bakery and Board....don't think this is possible with my structure kinda stuck, anyone faced this problem before
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Please help with Update query

Hi ! Please help... How I can write a query in which I update some text in column. I have a column with long text(not only one word),in this text I only want to update x to y ,for example.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

SQL connection question

Hi , so far i'm only using MS Access database, and i'm also using the following connection: Code: my question is, if i decide to move to MySQL, can i still use the same connection as above, and if not what should be changed also does the Access database need to be converted to MySQL database and how can i do that Finally i'm using 7host.com to host the asp files and the database, how can i upload the MySQL database and access it from the asp files also would the code in the asp files change if the database is changed, like( SQL commands) thx in adv..
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Calling User defined functions

I have created a user defined function that takes a string as input. EG: Create function func_new(@str varchar(20)) returns varchar(20) begin ...... //whatever code ..... return @str1 end @str is a table column(col1) How do I call this function so that all columns in the table get manipulated by the function\t Do i have to write a stored proc to call this function or something else has to be done
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 26th November 2012
View Replies!

Query problem with 2 FK in table

, I have a problem with a query... and 2 tables I want to associate each travel with a departure and an arrival port. I keep all the ports in another table TravelsTable - Travel_ID(pk) ; DeparturePort(fk) ; ArrivalPort(fk) PortTable - Port_ID(pk) ; PortLocation my two foreign keys in the TravelsTable are linked to the Port_ID in the PortTable... so I have records like this in the Tables Travel_ID=1 DeparturePort = 1 ArrivalPort = 4 Travel_ID=2 DeparturePort = 3 ArrivalPort = 2 Travel_ID=3 DeparturePort = 4 ArrivalPort = 5 Port Table Port_ID=1 PortLocation= London Port_ID=2 PortLocation= Le Havre Port_ID=3 PortLocation= New York Port_ID=4 PortLocation= La Rochelle Port_ID=5 PortLocation= Zeebrugge ---------------- What I need is to have a list with the Name of the departure/arrival ports... I need something like this Travel_ID Departure Arrival 1 London La Rochelle 2 New York Le Havre .... Can you help me writing this query, in SQL I read about joins but I can't seem to put things together... I'm not even sure is the way to do it
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Comparing two colums in different tables using a join to find non match?

and gals, I have two tables and need to delete some strays in two related tables. The column names are idProduct and Product_id. I wrote an asp script to import and reverse an import except I had forgotten to reverse one of the two tables. So consiquently there are 151 stray records that I need to find. How would I write a join, or not to find these strays and delete them Thank you so much in advance. cbadchris
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Inputing a date into a database(Access 2000)

just hoping that someone could helpi am trying to input a date into my data base but it won't accept it i have the format saved as ShortTimeand this is my code for it to be placed into the db which is Access 2000:p_date = Replace(Request.form("p_date"),"'", "''") SQL = "Insert Into Nutrient(Date)Values('"&p_date&"')" Mycon.Execute(SQL) This is the code for the input screen: INPUT TYPE="number" NAME="p_date" size="60"
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!