My site got hacked - how to restore backups

Yesterday one of the sites I'm responsible for was hacked.

The hacker replaced all news headlines in the database with some "Hacked by blablabla" text. That's all the damage he did (that I'm aware of).

My last backup of the database with the correct headlines is a month old (we do manual backups... sad but true). Since then we've had about 50 more news story which I don't have a backup of the headlines. I'll have to correct them manually.

So now I have have two backup files:
1. backup-2007-07-07.bak - containing all news stories up until then with the correct headlines.
2. backup-2007-08-19.bak - I made this after the site was hacked so it contains the 50 additional news stories since july 7... but all headlines are messed up.

On to my problem...

There is only one table that needs to be restored. Is this possible to do with the .bak-fileHow do I restore the backup in the best way

Any kind of help would be absolutely lovely... Please tell me if I'm not explaining this matter well enough. If so I'll try to clarify more.

(I have almost no experience with SQL Server... my level of knowledge is pretty low. I've been working with LAMP-projects the last 5-6 years so most of my old knowledge of ASP/IIS/SQL Server are forgotten )

Posted On: Sunday 11th of November 2012 09:14:20 PM Total Views:  174
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Microsoft SQL Server PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Free tool to Backup/restore Databases via the web?

Hi i've tried a few remote administration tools including Microsofts own Web Data Administrator for SQL server... but none of them seem to do what is essential to me and that is backup/restore databases to a file. Could I perhaps do it using stored procs and asp.net Or does anyone know of a free tool that can just backup/restore databases. I dont really want to have to use export/import data as things like triggers get lost when using it with these remote programs.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 15th November 2012
View Replies!

SQL Server 2000 - Move databases to new site

I want to move 8 databases from sql server that support my website to a new ip address,new sql server ... Can i export the database as a package and ftp to the new site then import it .. I tried the DTS but i didnt help me much ..is there a way, if it is DTS or copy database or backup and restore ... please illustrate
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 20th November 2012
View Replies!

Move ASP website with MSSQL

, I have a website in ASP with MSSQL, which I want to move to another server. I have moved the files but I dont know how to move the database. Can anyone help.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Setting up user permissions to view and edit website

, I have a website connected to a MS SQL database via ASP connection strings. I want the general public to be able to view the data pulled out from the database and displyed on the website whilst also allowing the site owner to be allowed to edit the inventory in a domain.com/admin/ folder. What permssions and roles do I need to allow. I have created two users in my Helm control panel usera and userb I want usera to only be able to view the website (not edit/delete etc.) and userb to be able to have full admin rights. As it stands both have db_owner privilleges. Do I keep userb on this but amend usera to be just db_datareader and nothing more In my code I would then link to two different connection paths (one for live site, one for /admin)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Why can't I restore?

I have a clustered SQL Server 2000 sp4 on Win2003sp1 with a SAN array to hold the databases and the backups. The DB's are on S: drive, the backups are on R: drive. I can run a backup via enterprise manager to r:\backup\subfolders, but when I go to enterprise manager to restore a backup, R: drive is not accessible. But, if I go to query analyzer, and type the following: Code: restore database dbname from disk = 'R:\backup\somfile.bak' The restore runs just fine Any ideas
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

8 websites application using 1 SQL server database

I have 8 websites , each application of these websites has about 15 tables in database, and each websites daily has about 15000 Hit / day I am using just one SQL Server database for all of these 8 web sites I mean in one database I have about 130 tables, and all of these different web sites use this database, ok, now I want to know is that ok to continue this way, using one database for all of my websites I am using this way because managing of these web sites from one database is easier for me . How many web sites can connect to one database, and how maximum how many tables can I create under one database
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Folder security for backup/restore

What folder security do I need for SQL Server to be able to backup and restore databases from the folder Is SQL Server using a specific user name I have a folder with my login as the only user allowed to access it, and when I try to backup a database to that folder I get an error message, and I can't see the backup files that are there already. when I change the security to Everyone (Full Access) I can backup and restore to that folde. I don't want to let access to that folder so what user name can I use
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

website triggered by a database

dear everybody,i have a project about a website that is triggered by a database. it has a log-in page using SQL server. mynstructor also required that there be a "session" so that it does no goes directly to the HTML. i also would like to know about a HTML which connects to a database.i really don't know where to start.please help me ASAP
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 21st November 2012
View Replies!

Table slowing down site

Hi I've been having performance problems with a site of ours, mainly on the gallery page, immediate thought is images slowing down the site so i just took the out of the loop, while there was a slight increase in speed, the performance was still poor I then removed the call to the media table(holds image paths etc) and BANG page loads... So the theory is that there must be something wrong with that table, so my questions is, how do i find out what's the problem Shemzilla
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 26th November 2012
View Replies!

Backup and restore SQL database

i have a website that is on my local machine and i want to move it to online server. i moved the files with no problem, but i have problem with moving the database to the host. i have the IP / username / password of the database and the DSN also. and the same for the local machine which tool can i use or what steps should i follow to backup the database from the localserver and move it to the online server any help would be appreciated
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 26th November 2012
View Replies!