Basic Question I think

if i have multiple tables set up with multiple attributes and one common attribute, say email, is there a way for the user to enter once from a site or form or whatever and the email record be filled in all the tables. , that is basically the way it is set up. I guess I should be more specific. In the customer table after all the usual info. I will have three records. one for minutes remaining, hours remaining, and seconds remaining. These numbers correspond to time left to use a website.

Then I want another table for time purchased. I guess it would have hours purchased, minutes purchased, and seconds purchased, as well as the customers email(which Is sort of the unique identifier).

Finally a final table would be used for time used. with the same fields as above except for time used. I have never done a datbase that relys on calculations. Time purchased would be manually entered and then time used and time remaining would have to automatically be inputed.

Does this make any sense
Posted On: Monday 22nd of October 2012 05:57:14 AM Total Views:  249
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Microsoft Access PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Very basic cross referencing help needed!

I am totally unfamiliar with Access and I have a job to do and seek help. I have a database from which I have to extract information to create a diagram. The database consists of the following tables (only listing the ones that I will need): Clients: contains a ClientID, name of the client, country of origin type of production (A/B/C/D/X) Sales: contains name of client, date of selling, units of product sold and price/unit What I need to do is create a diagram that shows the cumulated sales of ONE specific country (on the y-axis), and showing the time of sale on the x-axis. I figure I have to create a new table which would hold the data needed, but I don't understand how to create the proper relations between them. If anyone could explain it briefly, it would be a big-big help.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 17th October 2012
View Replies!

Buttons don't work in 2007... Visual basic?

all! I have a database, on a shared network location, which clients use to report incidents with troublesome patrons. The first thing they see upon opening this database is a form that allows you to choose a search option, and upon clicking a button, the button calls the appropriate search form. This all works fine and dandy in Office 2003... but for some reason if a client with Office 2007 [we've been forced to update some of our clients] opens the database, they can see the initial form but when you click the button, nothing happens. Below is script for one of the buttons, whose purpose is to call the form 'SearchIncidentsByPatron', if this information is useful: Private Sub Open_Search_Form_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Open_Search_Form_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "SearchIncidentsByPatron" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria Exit_Open_Search_Form_Click: Exit Sub Err_Open_Search_Form_Click: MsgBox Err.description Resume Exit_Open_Search_Form_Click End Sub
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 17th October 2012
View Replies!

New to visual basic coding in access

I am not new to Access, however I am just starting to get to the point where I need visual basic to complete some things I want to try. My question is, how do I code a button (or modify an existing one) in my form that will email the same output I get when I use a Print Report button. Here is what I have from my standard buttons: Private Sub Save_Svc_Record_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Save_Svc_Record_Click DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Exit_Save_Svc_Record_Click: Exit Sub Err_Save_Svc_Record_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Save_Svc_Record_Click End Sub Private Sub Prt_Svc_Record_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Prt_Svc_Record_Click DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.PrintOut acSelection Exit_Prt_Svc_Record_Click: Exit Sub Err_Prt_Svc_Record_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Prt_Svc_Record_Click End Sub Private Sub Add_Svc_Record_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Add_Svc_Record_Click DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Exit_Add_Svc_Record_Click: Exit Sub Err_Add_Svc_Record_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Add_Svc_Record_Click End Sub
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 18th October 2012
View Replies!

Access / ASP question

hope this is in the right area! Anyway ive got a largeish access database and im trying to get asp to list the titles of all the records as a hyperlink in one page so if you click one it takes you to a second page which has more detailed information on the record! heres what ive got so far first page: second page: the first page lists the films ok with what appears to be hyperlinks but if you click on the second one for imformation the page is blank!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Beginner VBA user has a simple question

Can anyone teach me the difference between a Sub Previous_Enter() and a Sub Previous_Click()
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

A curly question about Data Filtering/Searching

Hi I have a Select Query that is based on 5 tables. I then have a Search Facility that works as follows: It is a Subform within a Form The subform has the Datasheet view of the Query that is based on 5 tables so essentially it displays everything that are in my 5 tables (joined by a common field). The Form at the top gives 4 Fields (I call them Significant fields) based on which I conduct my searches. So one of my significant fields is STATE if I choose to search by state, it returns every piece of information in the Query as long as the State Column says the State I have chosen in my Search. What I want to know is is it possible to tick a box or click on a button to EXCLUDE data from one (or more) of the tables So the end result should be to display all data for the specific state I have chosen EXCLUDING the columns that belong to the table I have ticked to exclude. Is that possible to do If so any help would be great.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

VBA question in Access 2007

I'm trying to create a dsn-less connection so that I don't get the sql login box when the end user clicks on the Access program icon. I need the code and the steps to make this happen. I mean every step. If I need to get rid of the current odbc connection I have already created then let me know. If I need to add anything or type anything in the properties tab then I need to know that as well. Here is the current code that I have. If I need to make corrections please let me know. Also I have modified the code to hide ip address, passwords and stuff. Option Compare Database Option Explicit Const tmrInterval = 60 Dim Searching As Boolean, Seconds As Byte Private Sub Command44_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command44_Click 'DoCmd.OpenForm "verify", OpenArgs:="Internal_id|" & List33.Value DoCmd.OpenForm "verify" Exit_Command44_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command44_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command44_Click End Sub Private Sub Form_Click() End Sub Private Sub Form_Current() End Sub Private Sub Form_Load() Dim strConnection, conn, rs, strSQL strConnection = "ODBC; Driver={SQL Server};Server= IP Address Here;" & _ "Database=Table Name Here;Uid=Username;Pwd=Password;" Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") conn.Open strConnection Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset") strSQL = "select * from sql table here" rs.Open strSQL, conn, 3, 3 rs.Close Set rs = Nothing conn.Close Set conn = Nothing End Sub Private Sub Form_OnConnect() End Sub Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) Text35.SetFocus End Sub Private Sub FormHeader_Click() End Sub Private Sub List33_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) End Sub Private Sub List33_Click() End Sub Private Sub List33_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) 'MsgBox (List33.Value) End Sub Private Sub Text35_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) End Sub Private Sub Text35_KeyUp(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer) Searching = True [List33].Requery Refresh Text35.SelLength = 0 Text35.SelStart = IIf(IsNull(Text35), 0, Len(Text35)) End Sub Private Sub List33_GotFocus() Searching = True End Sub Private Sub Text59_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) End Sub
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Error 2465 OpenRecordset to MS-SQL (solved, but questions remain)

Ok, based on realizing there'd be an almost total re-write converting the app to .ADP (question I posted Friday). Powers-That-Be decided to keep with Access 2000, for the SQL conversion. Now I'm getting this error pretty much no matter what I do: 2465 "Microsoft Access can't find the field '|' referred to in your expression." Here's what I started with: strSQL = "SELECT * FROM qryScheduledActions_Calendar where ( (ActionDate) >= #" & dteFirstDisplayedDate & "# AND (ActionDate) = '" & aA(1, 2) & "' AND (ActionDate) = #" & dteFirstDisplayedDate & "# AND (ActionDate)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Import text file into table question

I populate my database with records from a text file. Periodically I import this file into a table and would like to automate the process. To import the file I have this code: DoCmd.TransferText acImportFixed, "myTEMP", "mytable", "\\S01\folder\mytxt.txt", False, "" Note that mytemp is the specification name, while mytable is the table into which data is imported. Since I will be sharing this program with others I would like that no one opens th code screen necessary to change the server name or when importing the file the path will not be recognized. Is there a way I do this by using a string I have some code sample that you friends have already help me with to export to word. I use a tablepath with these 2 fields:TemplateID and Template Location. The tamplate id will be the name of the file, while the template Location is the actual path. Can anyone help on this Thank you.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Mdb.FE/SQL server BE questions(s)

OK, hope some people can help clarify some things for me. I'm using an Access 2003 mdb. Frontend and linking SQL Server 2005 tablels to it. The SQL Server db was already developed, with limited functionality (No stored procs etc). At the moment I'm using the mdb to do all the rest of the work including using the Access query designer for list boxes, combo boxes, form record sources and there's plenty of VBA code as well. I understand that it might be more effecient to do more on the SQL Server side. I'd like to know if this is the case also, what is there I could do on the SQL Server side that would be more efficient, if anything If this is the case, can I use SQL Server to design the record sources for the forms would it be Views that I create for this I know T-SQL, my main uncertainty is working with Access mdb with BE SQL Sever tables.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Quick easy question - numbers

, I'm completely new to Microsoft Access, so really sorry if I don't use the correct terminology. One of my data-types is "Number"... in the "Datasheet" view when I try to put in "01" it automatically changes into a "1"...how do I prevent this from happening I don't want to change it into a "text" data-type. Btw, I am using "Design" and "Datasheet" views only. I hope this made sense. Dragonfly
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Access Newbie question - field validation

Im trying to create a DB with some field validations. I have a field named Value and a field named Doubled. Value is in a currency format. Doubled is in a Y/N format. I want a to create a rule that prevents the value Yes from being entered in the Doubled field IF the value in the Value field is greater than .60. How do I do that I entered "[Value]< .6" but that wouldnt allow me to put any value in the Value field it popped an error every time.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Crazy pipe dream of a question

Ok so I have my employee database and each employee has a bunch of different professional credentials that expire at different times. In layman's terms, Is there a way that I can set something up to automatically e-mail the employee to let them and their manager know that their credentials will be expiring within a couple of months
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Report question... I think

I've created a bunch of tables with dates and other various values. I now need to export them to a csv format....BUT. I'd like to export the dates in a different format. eg) they are currently saved as mmddyyyy but I need them to look like mm/dd/yy. and there are some other formatting changes that I need to make. How can I go about doing this Thx
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Need help with basics

I have a little experience with Access. But thats only really the basics. Basically my database is very simple. It holds data about customers, names, addresses, etc. Along with a review date. Plus it holds information regarding the location (in a filing system) of important papers for that customer. Basically the system is used to find out where the customers papers are located. As well as a query that can be ran on any review date, and the address taken from those records (that match) and shoved into word in a list. My problems are these, 1) If a query returns back with no results. How can I make it so that a message box appears explaining so 2) When editing a record in form view. Is there anyway of creating a 'cancel' button that will undo any changes that have been made to the record It seems that as soon as you close the box it doesnt ask if you want to save the changes 3) How do I create a delete button so that I can delete a record 4) And lastly, what would be the best method of going about getting the address's out of records via their review date as mentioned above I have a query that will allow you to enter in the review date you are looking for, but after that I am lost lol. I know these might sound like very pathetic questions to ask lol, reading the forums you all seem so knowledgable on these things so I really hope you can help a newbie lol.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Novice question about forms...

, I am pretty new to Access. I am able to create simple forms that will interact with tables, reports, etc.. I am trying to go a little farther and customize a form that will automatically be displayed when the user opens the file. I have read that you must have 'modal' properties set to yes. I have done this and when I enter then .mdb file, I still see the default menu. Do I have to write an expression within the properties And if so, on which command Also, I would like to become more familiar with customizing forms. Is anyone familiar with a web based step-by-step tutorial out there that will walk a person through the process I am not satisfied with the Help menu.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Super easy newb question/s

I am brand new to Access/VB as of Thursday. I am an aspiring programmer still in college. My proficiencies are more to the c++/HTML side of things right now, but I am in dire need of some assistance. I was recently given a series of projects to determine if I am qualified for a particular job. I have completed them all but one. I am modifying an invoice form in Access. I have accomplished all but two of the tasks on this last project. I need to modify the invoice form so that whenever a payment amount is entered, the payment date box I created populates with that date. I know I'm really close to it, but I keep getting errors and the only thing populating the box is #Name. I also need to open up the print/preview mode of the invoice report when I click the print button as opposed to the current form it opens up to print from right now. If anyone could offer any assistance/advice on anything...even a tutorial that might point me in the right direction that would be excellent. I have until Tuesday to figure this out =)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

2 questions 1, move record to a new table 2, prevent changes to design

1) HOw can I move a record from one talbe to another when a specific drop-down option is selected. Example: a combo box with "Active"; "Pending"; "Closed" I want all closed recoreds in a table just for closed records to reduce clutter. They're not going to be referenced often if ever, we just want them so we have them if we do need them. 2) How can I prevent changes to the design of a form/query/report/etc.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

To upsize or not to upsize, that is the question

I have a dilema, my db is hosted on our shared drive, and with +-15 users at any given time there shouldn't be a problem. However, quite often the users get the message that they cant log on because the file is already in use. This will pose a bigger problem very soon, because there will be about 100 users total at any given time. My question is this; should I upsize or not I haven't found much written on the subject, so I don't know if that would solve my problem or not. If it is a good idea, can someone tell me if it's possible with a split db And since I'm new to this portion of Access, can anyone tell me what I should be aware of (unforseen brick walls).
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Query question

Is it possible to use a drop down menu to pick a customer that I want to use for the query Customer criteria to run a query for an invoice report Right now I have 4 different queries for 4 different customers to print 4 different invoices but I realized that I will be adding a new query and report for every new customer. If it is possible, it will save me a lot of unnessessary work!!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!