How to install mysql on mac os x ???

could someone please point me to instructions for installing
mysql on mac os x 10.4.1

the instructions listed on mysql.org and the developers
section of apple.com are not working. every step by step
tutorial seems to print out error messages in the terminal.
i also tried installing/re-installing from the latest pkg file,
before re-trying whatever terminal commands.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
obviously, i'm new to mac / unix, so the more help the better.
Posted On: Wednesday 24th of October 2012 08:58:56 PM Total Views:  147
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF MYSQL PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Please Help! Issues installing MySQL 5.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.6

, I enabled Apache and PHP on my Mac OS X, and they both came up just fine. I then pulled the Mac installer dmg from mysql.com for MySQL 5.1, and followed the installation and post installation instructions in their documentation. The data directory had already been created on my machine, so I assumed that step 2 of the post-install process was not needed. Step three (bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &) failed with the following error: [1] 400 anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro:mysql anuraagt$ 090312 01:08:01 mysqld_safe Logging to '/usr/local/mysql/data/anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro.local.err'. touch: /usr/local/mysql/data/anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro.local.err: Permission denied chown: /usr/local/mysql/data/anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro.local.err: Permission denied 090312 01:08:01 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data bin/mysqld_safe: line 96: /usr/local/mysql/data/anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro.local.err: Permission denied rm: /usr/local/mysql/data/anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro.local.pid: Permission denied bin/mysqld_safe: line 133: /usr/local/mysql/data/anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro.local.err: Permission denied 090312 01:08:01 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /usr/local/mysql/data/anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro.local.pid ended bin/mysqld_safe: line 96: /usr/local/mysql/data/anuraag-tiwaris-macbook-pro.local.err: Permission denied I'm new to UNIX and the Mac OS, so any help on what this is due to would be greatly appreciated!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Data dump from broken install

I have a Linux server running MySQL that is no longer accessible. In fact all the files in the boot folder have been deleted (don't ask ) and the server was reset. My question is, if I can get access to the files on the broken system via a LiveCD or something, it is possible to access the actual MySQL data files, copy them to a working system and dump the data using another install of MySQL If this is possible, how might I found out where the files are and where can I learn how to access them on the working system.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

MySQL - Reset privileges to new install

I'm working on a release of a PHP-based application. The installation script sets up MySQL permissions as defined by the user. Is there any way to easily reset the MySQL permissions to the 'factory' new installation defaults I'm testing the install script and want to rollback the changes, but this isn't really heavy-weight enough to warrant a virtualized test environment with snapshots and all that.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Problem installing myODBC driver

I would like to connect a Windows program to my mySQL database. I am trying to create a DSN (data source name) so that a Windows program I'm using (IGOR pro) can communicate with a mySQL database. I have the database setup and it runs fine. I have installed the appropriate driver "MyODBC drivers" version 3.51.12. When I try to setup a new DSN from the control panel, the driver does not appear in the list of drivers. I am only able to see microsoft drivers even though I have installed the myODBC driver. Can anyone please help me I'm quite new to the world of interfacing windows programs with mySQL databases.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Mysql installation Failed

Guyyyyyy Anyone can help me and I would appreciated. I install mysql on Fedora linux from binary source which i download version mysql 5.0.22 tar.gz starting with this cmmand gave me the error: shell> bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql [root@localhost mysql]# bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql Didn't find /mysql/bin/mysqld You should do a 'make install' before executing this script I did make install and I tried manay time still don't work, any idea and I don't get the right binary source code or any other source code that you can recommanded\t
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Error in installing MySQL

I have the following errorw while i try to execute the MySQL-Front. Any one can tell me about the problem As i have no errors at all before i format my computer, i use the same version of MySQL and MySQL-Front
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

Trying to install

i was using the instuctions here http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/mybasic.htm#startclient and everythign went well up to starting up mysql. i type in mysql -u root mysql and i get this back: error: Found option without preceding group in config file: C:\my.cnf at line: 1 Fatal error in defaults handling. Program aborted heres my my.cnf NOTE: This sample file puts 4.1.x on the default port (3306), 5.0.x on 3350 and 4.0.x on 3340. These port numbers will be used throughout the rest of the tutorial. So, if you change anything in your my.cnf file, you will need to adjust all of our commands accordingly. On the command line, MySQL uses the -P flag to tell the client which port to connect to, for example -P 3340. # This config file contains settings for MySQL versions # 5.0.x, 4.1.x and 4.0.x. Be aware that only one server # instance can be on a given port. This sample puts # version 4.1.x on MySQL's default port, 3306. Adjust # the port numbers to suit your situation. [mysql] # Displaying the version number in the prompt # helps when running multiple instances. prompt = mysql\\_\v>\\_ [mysqld-5.0] port = 3350 basedir = C:/Program Files/mysql50/ datadir = C:/mysql50/data/ innodb_data_home_dir = C:/mysql50/ibdata/ innodb_log_group_home_dir = C:/mysql50/iblogs/ innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend # Make table names case sensitive. # Ensures portability when moving applications to other os's. set-variable = lower_case_table_names=0 [mysqld-4.1] port = 3306 basedir = C:/Program Files/mysql41/ datadir = C:/mysql41/data/ innodb_data_home_dir = C:/mysql41/ibdata/ innodb_log_group_home_dir = C:/mysql41/iblogs/ innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend # Make table names case sensitive. # Ensures portability when moving applications to other os's. set-variable = lower_case_table_names=0 # If you're running versions < 4.0.14, change the next line to [mysqld] [mysqld-4.0] port = 3340 basedir = C:/Program Files/mysql40/ datadir = C:/mysql40/data/ innodb_data_home_dir = C:/mysql40/ibdata/ innodb_log_group_home_dir = C:/mysql40/iblogs/ innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend # Make table names case sensitive. # Ensures portability when moving applications to other os's. set-variable = lower_case_table_names=0
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 12th October 2012
View Replies!

i can't install SQL on my computer windows 7 home premium

please help me how install SQL on my computer windows 7 home premium need alot of help :(
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 17th October 2012
View Replies!

Please Can Someone Tell me how to Totally Uninstall MYSQL

I will like to Uninstall MySQL so that when I reinstall it, I can have Chance to Choose New Password..
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 21st October 2012
View Replies!

Help installing mysql 5.1.40 on my ubuntu plz

I,m reading the book called "build ur own database drive web site with php and mysql 4th edition" trying to install mysql database manually on my ubuntu system and here is what happens. I downloaded mysql 5.1.40 and extracted it due to the guide in the book made a shortcut to it named "mysql" as written also added groups and user for the mysql like in the book PHP Code: root@machine:/usr/local/mysql#groupaddmysql root@machine:/usr/local/mysql#useradd-gmysqlmysql root@machine:/usr/local/mysql#chown-Rmysql. root@machine:/usr/local/mysql#chgrp-Rmysql. Then i have gone to mysql dir and tried to continue following the book instructions PHP Code: root@machine:/usr/local/mysql#scripts/mysql_install_db--user=mysql and here is my own terminal code for this last step: PHP Code: root@killer-desktop:/usr/local/mysql#scripts/mysql_install_db--user=mysql FATALERROR:Couldnotfindmysqld Thefollowingdirectoriesweresearched: \t\t/usr/libexec \t\t/usr/sbin \t\t/usr/bin Ifyoucompiledfromsource,youneedtorun'makeinstall'to copythesoftwareintothecorrectlocationreadyforoperation. Ifyouareusingabinaryrelease,youmusteitherbeatthetop leveloftheextractedarchive,orpassthe--basediroption pointingtothatlocation. root@killer-desktop:/usr/local/mysql# And i dont know what to do plz help me solve this problem i,m very new ubuntu user btw so plz try to be give me details as much as u can and
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 21st October 2012
View Replies!

Wanna help a newbie with install? Here r the errors...

I'm newbie with a PHP/MySQL project. I'm using the sitepoint book by Yank. I already had MySQL installed and running from the Fedora 11 DVD install. I installed Apache from the book, its still workin. Then tried to install PHP and everything was in the wrong place. When I located the mysql_config it would not work for PHP install ./configure file. OK. so I went through yum'n out mysql. I'm going to redo it from scratch as per the book (gee, I hope Apache 'll be ok with that). Right now, mysql is not processing the install script on page 35= [root@xtian mysql]# scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql scripts/mysql_install_db: line 205: ./bin/my_print_defaults: cannot execute binary file Neither host 'xtian' nor 'localhost' could be looked up with ./bin/resolveip Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname. If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with the --force option Naturally this didn't bother me cuz there is no host yet. I'm using local host and Apache is fine with that right now. I try it with the --force option [root@xtian mysql]# scripts/mysql_install_db --force --user=mysql scripts/mysql_install_db: line 205: ./bin/my_print_defaults: cannot execute binary file Installing MySQL system tables... scripts/mysql_install_db: line 351: ./bin/mysqld: cannot execute binary file Installation of system tables failed! Examine the logs in ./data for more information. You can try to start the mysqld daemon with: ./bin/mysqld --skip-grant &I'm not comfortable doing that yet. especiall since I can't find any explanation in a forum search for the previous problems. and use the command line tool ./bin/mysql to connect to the mysql database and look at the grant tables: shell> ./bin/mysql -u root mysql mysql> show tables Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths. Using --log gives you a log in ./data that may be helpful.Nope, no mysql --help The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at newbiecantposturls Please consult the MySQL manual section: 'Problems running mysql_install_db', and the manual section that describes problems on your OS. Another information source is the MySQL email archive. Please check all of the above before mailing us! And if you do mail us, you MUST use the ./bin/mysqlbug script! So I tried the manual pages for mysql. According to my install there is a man directory in the mysql directory. It just doesn't work... [root@xtian mysql]# man mysql No manual entry for mysqlWhatever! So maybe it really started and this is all just trying to get on my nerves! No and Yes (^_^)...... [root@xtian /]# /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root status bash: mysqladmin: command not found[root@xtian /usr/local/mysql/bin]# find ./ -name 'mysqladmin' ./mysqladminAppreciate anyone who wants to explain whats going on step by step. More kudos for what to do next . Xtian
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 21st October 2012
View Replies!

Jrew not working in oracle installation

Thanks in advance. I tried to install Oracle 9i in vista home edition .My installation was aborted with the error message as jrew not working.Please assist me if any one has an idea of it. Thank you
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 21st October 2012
View Replies!

Please help newbie with MySQL installation

I hate to harass you with a completely newbie question, but I've battled with this for several days. Please lend a hand. I'm following Kevin Yank's book, "Build Your Own DB-Driven Website, Using PHP and MySQL". I installed PHP on my (Windows XP) computer and tested it - worked fine. Then I installed MySQL 5.0 all went well, including the final window of the installation wizard, which said that the installation was successful. Problem occurs when I open mysqld.exe. The "command prompt/dos" window opens, but does not accept any input (keystrokes, etc.). After about 15 seconds, it spontaneously closes. I can open it as many times as I like, but it behaves the same. Now the PHP no longer responds to the date tutorial, which worked previously! Ahhhh! Since then, I've reinstalled the 5.0 and 4.1 versions - on 2 machines several times (after uninstalling each time), reinstalled windows XP on this machine, read this forum for hours, etc. Please could someone put me on the right path or in touch with someone who could help me
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 21st October 2012
View Replies!

mysql install problem on mac os x 10.4.8

I'm
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 22nd October 2012
View Replies!

Resetting MySQL Root Password / Uninstalling

Folks, I'm looking for a straight forward way to change a forgotten root password ..... or is there a way to uninstall it completely and i'll just reinstalled it again. I dont have any databases setup on it that i need to keep so its ok to uninstall it, as long as i can reinstall it again later. Any ideas Ref: I'm getting this message ... Quote: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 24th October 2012
View Replies!

Which version of mysql do I install? [was: Need Help]

Guys, I need some help regarding MySQL. I have a laptop with Core2Duo 2.o ghz and 1 GB RAM. Earlier I was installing Oracle 11g but it is not suitable for the meagre ram size and the processor power in my laptop with windows 7. Pls Let me know which version of MySQL is right for me to learn the DCL and DML on SQL creating multiple databases and query usage on this without much taxing my system.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

How to install MySQL on window 7 ?

Hi.. How to install MYSQL on window 7 .. Could somebody help me Thank you, Baharin
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

MYSQL installation problem

Hi . I am not sure if I am in the proper place but this is the only one I can find, so if I am not suppose to ask here for advise let me know where and I will repost. Now here is the problem I am unsuccessfully trying to install MySql on window 2000 server.. I need to run my test sites for php and mysql before they are published, plus some samples as well that requires db. I used to have 2003 server but it had died and I need quick temporally charge made and only server i have is 2000 iis5, I ma trying to install and at the end of the installation I get security 1045 ( the security settings could not be applied). I know that it 2003 server I insert port 3306 in to window firewall and it solve the problem, what do I do with win2K Any suggestions will be appreciated Thanx Lev
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Problem in installing MySQL Connector

I have successfully installed the MySQL client program in my machine, When I try to install the mysql connector [mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.15r409], I get the error, configure: error: Could not use the single thread MySQL client library, please check config.log for errors during the ./configure. How to resolve this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Problem on installing MySQL

Hi folks, Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 MySQL 5.0.38 On installing MySQL and coming to; $ sudo mysqladmin -h ubuntu.xyz.com root password myrootsqlpassword Code: mysqladmin: connect to server at 'ubuntu.satimis.com' failed error: 'Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111' $ hostname -f Code: ubuntu.xyz.com $ ps aux | grep mysql Code: root 4557 0.0 0.0 3860 572 S 20:35 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe mysql 4599 0.0 1.0 160556 21992 Sl 20:35 0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-external-locking --port=3306 --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock root 4600 0.0 0.0 3768 576 S 20:35 0:00 logger -p daemon.err -t mysqld_safe -i -t mysqld satimis 5133 0.0 0.0 5028 828 pts/1 S+ 21:15 0:00 grep mysql $ cat /var/log/daemon.log | grep 111 No printout $ cat /var/log/messages | grep 111 Code: Oct 23 08:54:28 ubuntu kernel: [ 24.857900] ata2.00: ATA-7: Maxtor 6V160E0, VA111900, max UDMA/133 Oct 23 08:54:28 ubuntu kernel: [ 33.667111] i2c_adapter i2c-1: nForce2 SMBus adapter at 0x1c40 Oct 23 09:50:31 ubuntu kernel: [ 23.021112] io scheduler cfq registered (default) Oct 23 09:50:31 ubuntu kernel: [ 25.185695] ata2.00: ATA-7: Maxtor 6V160E0, VA111900, max UDMA/133 Oct 23 09:50:31 ubuntu kernel: [ 27.717111] sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda Oct 23 09:50:31 ubuntu kernel: [ 33.805111] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [AAZA] enabled at IRQ 21 Oct 23 19:05:48 ubuntu kernel: [ 25.327627] ata2.00: ATA-7: Maxtor 6V160E0, VA111900, max UDMA/133 Oct 23 19:43:21 ubuntu kernel: [ 22.142111] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNK8] (IRQs 5 7 9 10 11 14 15) *0, disabled. Oct 23 19:43:21 ubuntu kernel: [ 25.058170] ata2.00: ATA-7: Maxtor 6V160E0, VA111900, max UDMA/133 Oct 23 19:43:21 ubuntu kernel: [ 33.379111] i2c_adapter i2c-0: nForce2 SMBus adapter at 0x1c00 Oct 23 20:35:27 ubuntu kernel: [ 24.573772] ata2.00: ATA-7: Maxtor 6V160E0, VA111900, max UDMA/133 Please advise which log file I have to check How to fix this problem TIA B.R. satimis
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!