Permanent 301 redirect

i am trying to redirect a entire site to a new domain, i tried using a basoc 301 redirect which works fine for the index page but for any deep linked pages it will append the new url with the structure of the old URL.

I simply want to move one site to another with a 301 redirect, including all sub pages!

Anyone
Posted On: Tuesday 27th of November 2012 01:00:10 AM Total Views:  45
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Search Engine Optimization PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Organic Ranking evaporated - Could be temporary / permanent?

I manage SEO for one of my clients who has PR 6, which I think defines that the website is well authorized in Google. However, since last couple of days, I see a lot of fluctuation in many keywords on which I have been working on, which were used to stay at the top for the most competitive phrases. I'm unable to share the website URL since I need to keep it confidential but you can consider it as competitive as Web Design or SEO niche is. To deal with the fluctuation and to know the reasons, I checked Google Webmaster Tools but there wasn't anything major that can cause to this sudden ranking fall. I also did a site search in Google and found that all the pages are as is in the Google index so I think that the website hasn't got banned by Google and hasn't been removed from Google index. But I'm not sure what could have been the other reasons. On top of this, I cross verified with all the link building promotion that I did but there is no suspicious link found. I'm facing this problem for the first time and not sure how should I react on this because this is my first experience. Has anyone experienced this kind of major downfall in the rankings and found the reason / got recovered after working on such kind of activities Your experience would be really helpful to help me out. I need to get the things to normal ASAP as my client is generating all the leads through Organic Search only. I'm looking forward to your suggestions and recommendations. PS:- I posted the same question in Quora and got 3 answers that I think you've got to read them if you'd like; http://www.quora.com/One-of-my-clients-rankings-fallen-down-majorly-Could-be-temporary-or-permanent PPS:- It has been a week but there is no positive movement found in the ranking. , Quote: Originally Posted by DarrenHaye How bigger drop in rankings its hard to say really without knowing more.. could you share the site but with a URL shortner or no.. Did you get a warning message in webmaster tools The drop is different from keyword to keyword, some went from 1st page to no where, some from 1st position to around 50th position, some went off from 100, 200, 300, 400 etc. I know that it won't be possible for me to get more analyzed answer without sharing the website URL but my hands are locked there, not possible for me to share the URL. Also, I haven't received any warning in the webmaster tools, we have sent message to Google and are waiting for the feedback from them. Let me know if you have experience of this kind of issue or if someone in your friends know about this. It would be really helpful.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 30th September 2012
View Replies!

How to set up 301 permanent redirect on my bolg www.example.blogspot.com to example.

how to set up 301 permanent redirect on my bolg from www(dot)picxy(dot)blogspot(cot)com to picxy(dot)blogspot(cot)com. i had scanned my blog using website grader and found that there is no 301 redirect hxxp://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5076/301hj[dot]jpg How do i set up 301 redirect
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 16th October 2012
View Replies!

302 temporarily or 301 moved permanently?

Hi I have recently realized that my we site needs alot of seo.I'm relying on a friend to help me, armed with the invaluable help of from forum members and alot of reading I now no enough so when my friend changes something I understand what he is doing. I passed comment to my friend about the server header checking tool, of which he had never heard of.I used the tool and it came back with 302 Found the requested resource resides temporarily under a different URI. Since the redirection might be altered on occasion, the client SHOULD continue to use the Request-URI for future requests. My url was Location: http://www.picnics4fun.com/index.php My friend advised me that this was not good. I have been gathering links from link directories to my web site. As I under stand with good content (articles) on my web site and plenty of links I'm increasing the chances of being noticed all part of the long process of SEO and optimizing my site. My friend changed my url as he recons it was a waste of time me putting www.picnics4fun.com in my links as google was looking for www.picnics4fun.com/index.php . He changed it to a HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 00:50:15 GMT Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.4.7 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7a Location: http://www.picnics4fun.com/index.php Connection: close Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 I really am lost with what this change means is it good as I read on one of the threads that a member would not recomend a301 . Can some one please offer any advice or guidance
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 16th October 2012
View Replies!

Multiple 301 Redirects ... .htaccess REDUX

Very confused here... trying not to be penalized by Google. I have a main domain to which I want to point about 10 other different domain names. This other domains will not host content, it's just for advertising purposes. The other domains are registered at GoDaddy.com. I have web space for the main domain on another host. of the other domains are pointing to the correct host. I've setup my .htaccess file as such for each additional domain: Code: RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^otherdomain.com [NC] RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.otherdomain.com/$1 [L,R=301] RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.otherdomain.com [NC] RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.otherdomain.com/$1 [L,R=301] ...but I get nothing. My host told me I need to setup add-on domains for each but from what I've read, "parked" domains sounds more like it. But I thought just adding the above to my .htaccess would work. So what am I missing to get this to redirect & not be dissed by Google Appreciate any help.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 22nd November 2012
View Replies!

301 redirect : IIS vs. .Net

Please forgive my ignorance, as I'm not a programmer, but I spoke with a colleague, and he mentioned that it is not necessary to create a redirect at the IIS level (i.e. creating a record for website.com, then redirecting it to www.website.com). It can apparently be done at the 'application begin request level' by entering code into the global.asax file located in the site. My question is, will this method still register with search engines as a proper redirect Will the site benefit or be penalized This is for a website coded purely in .Net and hosted through IIS.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 Redirect and Backlinks

If I do a redirect from www.1234.com to www.5678.com should I continue to acquire backlinkds to 1234 or 5678 My current 1234 site has great ranking but its time to change the domain to adjust to the industry. What is the best way to maintain and exceed my current rankings with backlinking, article submission, etc I am changing to a SEO friendly WordPress theme so hopefully any negative will be compensated by the positive new theme Thank you
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 redirect for IIS 6.0 Server (non-www to www)

I am using HTML on an IIS 6.0 server. I need URL redirect option Site Header Information: Current Date and Time: 2006-04-24T02:35:18-0700 Server Response: http://www.example.com HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.1 200 OK Content-Length: 19845 Content-Type: text/html Content-Location: http://www.example.com/index.html Last-Modified: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:53:50 GMT Accept-Ranges: bytes ETag: "d6451a9b7c67c61:1091a" Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0 X-Powered-By: ASP.NET Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:35:10 GMT Connection: close I need non-www to www pernamnent redirect For example: http://example.com to http://www.example.com Please help me and give me a solution Senthil
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Chained 301s

I'm curious if anyone has any experience & feedback regarding back to back 301 redirection and if there's any unfavorable effects with major search engines. The exact situation as this would be applied: A forum/blog with rewritten urls (example.com/this-is-our-canonical-url.html), links to pages generated as base 62 urls (xmpl .cm/tabc). Bots/users click the base 62 tiny url, which redirects to example.com/page.phpid=12345, which itself then 301s to the deed example.com/this-is-our-canonical-url.html The tiny url service used here is custom for zero API call (no remote connections to slow main site/server) so the service itself does not know of the final url, just knows the actual script location and sends a 301 with the translated value. So, the tiny url requested runs through 2 301s before the user/bot finally gets to render a page. Does anyone have any experience/advice to share on chained 301s
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Help Need with 301 Redirects

I have redirected an old domain to a new domain using a 301 redirect. However, I have noticed an increase in the number of 404 errors due to old pages not being found. Eg. olddomain.com/oldpage/ This produces a 404 error on the new domain as I don't have a page or folder named 'oldpage'. What should I do
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Need 301 Redirect advice for entire domain

I'm hoping to get some advice from those who have a lot of experience with redirecting entire domains to another. We currently have a domain that is focused on a niche market of products. It does very well for 1 particular category which happens to be a keyword that is contained in the domain name. I am sure that the keyword rich domain name is a factor in the rankings (Though a lot of it is probably due to links having the same keyword). What we are considering is expanding to a very diverse product line, at which point the domain name we currently use will not be appropriate any more. I'd like to create a new domain with a better generalized name, move all content to this domain, and then 301 redirect the old domain over. My understanding is that if done correctly, most of the link power will transfer to the new domain. But what will be the impact of switching the actual domain name itself Should I expect the rankings to drop for that one niche product category since the phrase will not be included in the domain name any longer
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 Redirect for whole site?

Hi Client of ours has just launched a new website but it is still in beta. Therefore when you go to the website you are brought to clientsite.com/beta We will be in beta for a bit longer - a couple of months - but what happens to our ranking when we are no longer in beta and we simply have the domain clientsite.com Assuming we put in a 301 redirect for all links to what was in the site before - although this is a directory database driven site so there could be/will be tens of thousands... - are we going to lose all of the organic SEO love from before Will we need to start from scratch with the search engines
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 23rd November 2012
View Replies!

Can you have TOO MANY 301 redirects?

2 companies near me just merged, and they built a new website to replace BOTH of their old websites. Which means it is time for 301 redirects! Each company has 3 separate domains. Why I don't know. But all 6 total domains now need to redirect toward ONE new canonical domain. The question: Is there SEO danger in 301 redirecting SIX distinct domains toward one That is, is it possible that the search engines would penalize the new site for having TOO MANY incoming 301 redirects I do not know the answer. Anyone have thoughts or experience
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 Redirect or Canonical URL tag?

I'd like to know how YOU handle this situation. I am trying to avoid duplicate content by pointing all of these URLs: www.mysite.com www.mysite.com/index.html http://mysite.com/index.html toward this canonical URL: http://mysite.com I am doing this now for the www.mysite.com versions by using a 301 redirect. For http://mysite.com/index.html, I am using a 301 redirect PLUS putting the Canonical URL tag in my site's .htaccess file. My question: what is the best practice here Am I overkilling by using both 301 and the Canonical tag to fix the http://mysite.com/index.html What do you do in these situations
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 Redirect a directory to a new site

I've got two domains (little-persia.com and love-rugs.com) little-persia.com is an up and running site and love-rugs I'm in the process of making. love-rugs is on a directory in the little-persia root directory as it is shared hosting. How do I 301 redirect /love-rugs to www.love-rugs.com I've tried Redirect PERMANENT /love-rugs/ http://www.love-rugs.com but it didn't do anything. I've currently got: Quote: AddType x-mapp-php5 .php AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.little-persia\.com [NC] RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.little-persia.com/$1 [L,R=301] In the .htaccess if that helps with the proper code
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 Redirect --- How to

If I will redirect domain.com/abc to domain.com/xyz, will all urls like domain.com/abc/1.html to domain.com/xyz/1.html and the page rank and other attributes will retain
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 redirect help

, I have googled for this info and searched around here on the forums with no answers... Problem: whenever I add a / to the end of the url on all my internal pages it doesn't seem to display any pictures or css. How would I use a redirect to fix this problem
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Multiple Domain Names - 301 redirect

Hi Guys I am new to this form, so please forgive me if i have posted this in the wrong section or someone else already has posted a similar query. I plan to host a local property maintenance website on a domain, for example, hampshire-pm.co.uk However, I dont think that this domain name will be very SEO-compliant as any search engine will not know what the "pm" bit stands for. Therefore, I was thinking about purchasing a few other similar but very descriptive domain names as well like: hampshire-property-maintenance.co.uk and using 301 redirects to point to the main site. I understand that most of you might say that the second domain hampshire-property-maintenance.co.uk is probably more suited to effective SEO as the domain actually contains keywords relative to the website/business, but I think it is too long to use everyday on business cards, sign written vans etc, so i would prefer to use the shorter hampshire-pm.co.uk domain for the website. Therefore, would it be an option to host the website on the hampshire-pm.co.uk domain, and use a 301 redirect to direct the second more seo-friendly domain name hampshire-property-maintenance.co.uk to the main site Would this help with SEO if someone googled "property maintenance in Hampshire" If 301 redirects assist with SEO, then I would quite like to build up a portfolio of other property maintenance domains to all point to the one website, but is this a viable option to help expose and rank my website, or is it all a waste of time Do 301 redirects really work seo-wise My main worry would be if hampshire-pm.co.uk does not rank very well as no search engine understands what the "pm" bit is all about. Therefore, I want to try and find some work arounds, and make sure that the search engines know hampshire-pm.co.uk is a property maintenance website in hampshire etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards, , Quote: Originally Posted by DarrenHaye a good thoughtful first post. Redirecting just domain names will not help with your main sites rankings. Google knows what your site is about from it's content.. it won't matter you have the PM in your domain name. Just think amazon.. bing.. ebay etc do just fine and their domain names have no relation to what they are. many thanks for your quick reply. I understand what you have suggested. I have wrote good meaningful content (whilst dropping in some valid keywords etc throughout). I just wasn't sure if the domain name itself (i.e. a lack of the words "property" and "maintenance") would be the downfall of the website and it's rankings in Google et al.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 25th November 2012
View Replies!

Using 301 redirect for new domain

I just acquired a new domain that contains the precise search terms that I am competing for... much more relevant than my existing domain's component words. Now, to use the new domain, I think the the most effective option is for me to back up my site, rehost on the new domain, and do a wildcard 301 redirect from the old domain to the new. However, I'm curious. What if instead I do a 301 redirect from the new domain to the old, and then start building up links to the new domain I know it's usually done the other way around, but how will Google and other search engines view that Will my old domain start appearing more relevant for my search terms
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 Redirect Question

My current host is The Planet. I am switching to GoDaddy and using a nice WordPress theme for my new site. I have strong rankings with my current site and want to know the proper order to redirect my stuff... Should I do a 301 redirect in my current cPanel before I do anything else After that, can I point my current server to GoDaddy and build my site using the slugs in the post to reflect the redirect Do I absolutely need htaccess files and do I need to embed anything in my new WordPress theme.php.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Site deindexed after 301 redirect

I recently moved my site to a new domain. I read up about modrewrite and 301 redirects extensively, and thought I had everything figured out. However, after the redirect my site is completely gone from the google index, and webmaster tools shows 0 pages indexed (375,000 indexed on the old domain, the site is a large vbulletin forum). Here were the goals in the redirect: move mw3forum.com to cod247.com/forum redirect cod247.com homepage to cod247.com/forum redirect non-www to www The code.. .htaccess file on old site: Code: RewriteEngine On RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.cod247.com/forum/$1 [R=301,L] .htaccess file on new site (root directory): Code: RewriteEngine On RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.cod247\.com$ RewriteRule (.*) http://www.cod247.com/$1 [R=301,L] RewriteRule ^(/)$ forum [L] Functionally, everything works correctly as described in the goals section above. Also, I used some 301 checker tests like Redirect Checker which all showed correct results. However, as mentioned both sites are now gone from the google index. Please help, I can't have this site disappear into oblivion like I've had when I botched 301 redirects in the past! What did I mess up , Quote: Originally Posted by DarrenHaye I'm not so hot on technical aspects of SEO so I probably shouldn't try and help you with this.. But I can tell you the simple thing that putting this into google .. site:cod247.com returns about 60,000 results, so you are still are in the index.. Is traffic down. Hmmm, google webmaster tools shows 0 pages indexed (showed 375,000 on the old domain before the switch) and a search for just "cod247.com" itself returns no results from the actual domain. I'm not sure which to believe, heh. To the last question, yes, traffic is way down.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 27th November 2012
View Replies!