Pages vs. Categories with Podcasts..what is best for SEO? (I tried Search first)

Hi all!

I have been working very hard on my site, although I am still very much a rookie.

It's about parenting advice with humour & fun. My problem is the following:

1) I have read that static pages are better than use categories for SEO. If this is true, then why don't most people do that Almost every popular blog out there uses Categories From what I've seen anyhow. My site would certainly look better if I stuck to pages only. Currently I have been using a page widget that order pages into "parent" and "child". As my site and content grows, will this still be suitable

2) My articles/posts are focused on relevant and profitable keywords. They took a long time to write well and would certainly constitute "static". I won't be changing them frequently. How should they be structured Just simple slugs that match the keyword

3) My bread and butter will really be podcasts. However, the show notes from the podcasts will often be centered around the same keywords, although not identical content of-course. How would I best place these show notes on my site Could I use the Category widget and organize them that way What would be most effective from an SEO standpoint

I am very grateful for any help!

Thank you!!

Jayce
Posted On: Thursday 22nd of November 2012 11:27:47 PM Total Views:  72
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Search Engine Optimization PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Sub pages on same URL or not?

SEO experts, My website has several sub pages with articles. For instance: article1.html article2.html article3.html On each page I have a "tell a friend"-link. This links to the file tell-a-friend.php and the php script automatic finds out what page the user came from (and what URL the friend should be told about). My question: Would it be better to have a "tell a friend" URL for each sub page Like this: article1.html links to tell-a-friend-about-article1.php article2.html links to tell-a-friend-about-article2.php article3.html links to tell-a-friend-about-article3.php Will this help to improve the relevancy of the article pages If article.html for instance was about SEO, then tell-a-friend-about-article1.php could have the following text: "Tell a friend about this article on SEO". This way the article pages links to a sub pages which contain their keywords. Would this be better than my current solution
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 16th October 2012
View Replies!

Deindexed pages?

I just found that I've gone from having about 1200 indexed pages in MSN and Yahoo to having barely 200... Is there any way at all to figure out why.... Also, some of my indexed pages in Yahoo shouldn't be getting indexed - this is not a robots.txt issue though... I need to figure out which of my pages is linking to the page I don't want indexed. ie. http://www.domain.com/a/bc=d yields a legitimate (non-404) page BUT not one that I want indexed. I need to see how the robot got there (from which page on my site). Is there some combination of allinurl: domain: etc. I can use to see which page is pointing at the offending page
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Do we optimize the index page or all pages?

I am trying to optimize my site. It is a very long process and time consuming. I was wondering do we optimize just the index page of every page within the site
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

One site with SEO'd pages, or a network of sites?

I'm working on a concept and some content, and am wondering what the SEOchat illuminati would think would be preferable in terms of ease of SERP ranking: 1) A network of sites, all in different IP blocks, cross-linked to eachother, covering musical instruments (for example), with: 1 site about drums 1 site about trumpets 1 site about pianos 2) A single site about musical instruments, with: 1 subsection about drums 1 subsection about trumpets 1 subsection about pianos
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 Redirect and pages are dropping out of index

Need some help please We moved our site to a new domain name: http://www.pastorgraphics.com the old site was: http://www.pastorpowerpoints.com When we did this, both sites contain the exact same pages and we did a .htaccess 301 redirect. The problem we ran into was the 301 redirected normal people but many of the 301 checkers were returning 200 ok. So for the past 4 days we think google might have been seeing duplicate pages instead of doing a 301. Today, we undid the .htaccess and put the 301 redirects in PHP files to fix the issue. The site redirects fine now and shows a good 301 in all the checkers too. Our problem is, today the amount of pages indexed by google has dropped to 870 pages for www.pastorpowerpoints.com but www.pastorgraphics.com still remains to have only 3 pages indexed. (using site:www.pastorgraphics.com) What do we need to do to get google to spider the correct site and index it. We are afraid when the old site disappears, the new site may not get indexed like we hoped for. Any ideas and advice
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Keywords for subpages

Is is better to pick 50 keywords and post them on every single page of your website, or should I use different sets for separate pages. I am talking about websites where separate pages providing information of different services.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Number of indexed pages reduced

My website was having over 4500 pages indexed in Google. of a sudden the number of pages indexed was reduced to 1000 pages few days ago. What may the possible reason behind that Any clue will be highly appreciated.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 17th October 2012
View Replies!

Best way to handle redirect/landing pages ?

The situation is as follows: Company A got bought by company B, so the URL of A now to points to URL of B (a 301 redirect). However, since company A customers seem to be confused about the acquisition, they want to remove the redirect and do a "landing page" where they talk about the acquisition and provide links to different sections in website of B. How would you go about this SEO wise I am worried that link "juice" might be lost by adding an intermediate page. Or should I not be worried
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 17th October 2012
View Replies!

Does number of pages on the website affects search engine ranking?

Just wondering does having a lot of webpages and content on the website actually help the search engine ranking on google For example, a listing of hundreds of pages of different product , no, a large number of pages just means more seo work, because you should have some backlinks to all your important pages, and if you have many of them you need to work a lot to get links to all of them...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 10th November 2012
View Replies!

Hubpages and Link Building

I have heard about Hubpages, but never tried it. Recently , I have decided take a look at it. My question is that, - Can I use the same articles from my blog to hubpages Would that create a duplicate content Should I write separate articles for hubpages If that is the case, isn't it better to write on your own blog rather than on hubpages What is good way of link building using hubpages Any good resources\t I am really confused with this. So please help.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Do SEs penalize for duplicate pages?

I renamed some pages on my site to be more SE friendly, but I want to keep the original pages there because I know other sites link directly to them. Will I get penalized for having duplicate pages with different names Maybe I should keep the old ones with a "This page has moved" message\t Also, same question for mirror sites on subdomains. For example, mydomain.com and services.mydomain.com. TIA!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Some pages dropped to rank 950

Hi Before the 28th Sept I had about 10 pages on my site rank in the top 10 google for their keyword now I only have 1 page and the rest are ranking at 950 +. I have no messages in WMT, Reconsideration request came back saying no manual penalty. Any thoughts / suggestions/
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 15th November 2012
View Replies!

Same image across different pages using different names - duplicate content or not?

I have hundreds of town pages on my local business site, each page related to particular city. I use unique written content on each of those pages. I also use a set of 8 images on each of those pages. On every page images have different filenames reflecting town name. So basically I use same 8 images but under different names. Question: Can this lead to any sort of duplicate content issues
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Indexd pages gone missing

My indexed pages have dissappeared on google. Can someone enlighten me please What tools can I use tofind out what I did wrong
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Position of pages in my site - Does this effect SEO

, I have a fairly simple question and was wondering if anybody could help me out. Basically I have written an article and done some on-page optimisation for a particular keyword. I am now in the process of building up backlinks to that article. However the article is buried four pages deep from the homepage. I.E The navigation path is 4 pages deep into my site. My question is, will this hamper my SEO efforts If I write an article and do some on page optimisation and then implement a back linking strategy, where is to optimum place to position the article I hope this makes sense.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

301 Redirects- When is it okay to take down old webpages from server?

About a year ago we did a redesign on our website. We 301 redirected all of our old URLs to the new URLs. Now that a year has gone by, and the search engines have fully indexed our new site and removed our old site, when is it safe to remove the old URLs from our server
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 22nd November 2012
View Replies!

Getting all 500 pages indexed

Hi Everyone A site i have build over the last few months has 500 pages. Google has indexed 174 but has stopped indexed more over the last few weeks The content amount is fine per page, a clean wordpress template I do have some good links to the site, but would I need more to have the site completely indexed I will be linkbuilding more anyway but not sure if that will also help index all the site Many
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

New contents or new pages?

newbie here wanna know, it is better to add new contents to an old page or keep adding new pages just from SEO's point of view any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Will Search Engine Penalize for similar pages?

I have just one site for me two work on The site ranks poor on search engines and also has poor PR value and Poor link popularity, Google doesnt shows a single backling for the site. Every page of site is having two copies one with HTM and other with .ASPX eg www[DOT]sitedomain[DOT]com/services[DOT]htm and www[DOT]sitedomain[DOT]com/services[DOT]aspx both pages have similar content but differ slightly in design and aspx version is having an submit form My query is will google or any other search engine penalize the site for duplicate content
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Doorway pages

What are doorway pages Should we use doorway pages.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!