Page 2 - Why big guys dont need SEO

Guys I think we don't agree on SEO concept.

Facebook came after myspace and now it overcome. I'm sure there were online shops selling books before or in the same time when amazon started. Still they reached the top. himanshu160 is asking how come they did it without seo. It depends on how you define seo.

This is what I think they did:
- they promoted themself as authority sites and they were targeting on a specific niche(Not all of them were the pioneers of their niche. Even if they were not pioneers probably they had competition, but we don't remember the losers). I think people are calling it branding. As long as it is done through the net some people might call it seo.
- they are linkable and this makes them authority sites. By linkable I mean they offer widgets, apis(amazon) or valuable information that can not be found somewhere else(microsoft).
- they provide a better user experience than their competitors are doing. This is how facebook won the battle against myspace.
- most of them are viral to bring new users. Sites like ebay offered some amount of money for each new subscriber. Amazon is giving you some incentives to link them.
- They keep growing. They became huge and they continue to grow. An google loves it.
- Maybe I should I mention internal linking, but since those days everybody does it does not give you some advantages against competition.

If the things I mentioned there are not representing the quintessence of SEO, then please let me know what seo is. Something that everybody does Submitting to social media Bloggin' about your company Writing content on other sites to get a backlink
Posted On: Tuesday 27th of November 2012 01:01:41 AM Total Views:  253
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Search Engine Optimization PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

A page is attracting visitors for X keywords - should I change the page and add more?

A page is attracting visitors for X keywords - should I change the page and add more content This seems to be one of the basic principles Use Google Analytics to see what pages are bringing in traffic - and then try to optimise and maximise the pages that are working by adding to or changing the content BUT... do search engines like this Surely they don't like it when a page changes and becomes more optimised I'd appreciate hearing back what others think What do you do Does the whole world (SEO experts), and change content ALL the time to re-optimise
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 25th November 2012
View Replies!

Second domain as single page

, My company domain name is a branded name with no keyword relevance. I have the opportunity to buy a few keyword rich domains, but have seen conflicting advice on whether this would even be useful from an SEO perspective. Over in the Yahoo forum, someone said that buying a keyword domain and 301 re-directing it shot them to #2 for the keyword phrase. However, all advice I've seen about alternate domain names is that the alternate domain shouldn't just be linked, but contain relevant content and link back to the main site. The fact is that I "DO" have content that makes sense for the second domain -- a solution guide that discusses better approaches to "keyword phrase." Is this useful If so, just how much structure do I have to put on the second site Is just the page with the writeup -- and links to my main site enough Also, how much better is this than simply having a URL of company.com/keyword-phrase/ with the same content
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Generating list of inlinks for page redirections

I am about to relaunch a site for a client and I need to set up a load of 301 page redirects because the new site will have a different URL structure. I need to create a list of all the pages on the current site that have links to them and then a corresponding list of the new URLs where the same content will be found on the new site. Looking at Yahoo Site Explorer it says that I have 1363 inlinks from other sites to the entire domain. I'm sure that most of them will just be to the home page and the URL for that isn't changing so I don't need to worry about those. But there are still quite a few links to deeper pages and I need to make sure that they are redirected to the new equivalents. Is there a tool that I can use to show all inlinks to pages other than the home page I don't really need to know the referring URL, just where the links are pointing. Many
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Problemas with the relevance of my pages in Serp results

people, this is my first post in this forum and its a question about a problem i have with one of my sites. I will describe the situation: I have a site of wedding in spanish called Hispabodas (www.hispabodas[dot]com). The site is structured in categories of different topics, and this topics are in subdomains, EJ: vestidos-de-fiesta[dot]hispabodas[dot]com. Also we have a company directory for each category organized in regions EJ: vestidos-de-fiesta[dot]hispabodas[dot]com/madrid The problem is that google for the search term "Vestidos de fiesta" shows me the page of the local directory (the one with the /madrid) instead of vestidos-de-fiesta[dot]hispabodas[dot]com. Its a problem for me because the general page contains notes and interesting information about the topic, the content that the people are searching, but the directory only companies for a specific region.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

How many pages in a site?

How to determine the number of pages in a site. not google cached pages
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Holding / Parking pages for spare domains

Hi , The domain name of our website is our brand name. It's not keyword specific, but it does very well in terms of SEO for our chosen keywords. A couple of years ago we bought around 20 keyword-rich domains with the idea of using them as link-through pages to our main site, but decided not to implement this after reading that Google may penalise the ranking of our main site for doing so. We therefore have a number of domains that we don't necessarily need, but are reluctant to let go as their keyword 'richness' could work against us if they were to end up in the hands of one of our competitors. I'd like to point each domain at a single holding page that simply displayed our brand logo, but don't want to do anything that could be detrimental to the ranking of our main domain. On the other hand, perhaps they could be used to enhance the ranking of our main site ... I'm not sure. Should I include our main brand name in the title of these holding pages Should I include a link to our main site Should I include any text within these holding pages, or just embed any text needed within the logo image to stop the robots reading it Should I stop the robots indexing these holding pages by using a noindex line Any advice on parking these domains under the banner of our ownership would be appreciated!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

The methods to reduce the percentage of similarity page

, ! Please help me! How to reduce the percentage of similarity page I have a website, I want to duplicate the home page, how can I lower the percentage of similarity page
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Noindex for articles on more than 1 page?

Hi everybody, a couple of months ago a SEO consultant recommended a noindex for articles/content that is located on several pages. Of course the first page should not use noindex but all the following pages. Since were using a CMS I remember the recommendation was due to the fact that we would have the same page titles and header information for more than one page indexed. Unfortunately my IT colleagues do not believe the above mentioned reasons and I become uncertain, either. What do you say best regards! Olli
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

This page look SEO'd for these keywords?

Guys, Can you tell me if i have this page SEO'd pretty good Im targeting the following keywords: Chicago firewall setup Chicago Watchguard support Chicago Linksys Support Chicago Sonicwall support here is the page: http://fastsupportonline.com/chicago_firewall_support.html ps: the "other chicago services" links dont work yet.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Blog=Content on Homepage?

I originally posted this in the blog section but it probably relates more to SEO. I run a website that sells a service where individuals can purchase an exam package, take exams and upon passing receive a certification card. We want our our hompage to be simple and straight forward without bogging visitors down with tons of content. That being said it doesn't leave much for SE to crawl and use to up our rankings. Would it be possible to have a blog/news feed at the bottom of our homepage and have the content of the blog count towards our homepage A good example of the type of feed I am talking about can be seen on BackBase's site (I'm new so I can't post the url) under their "news and events."
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 27th November 2012
View Replies!

SEO for js Photo Album page

Im building some pages with photo albums. When I visit the primary photo album URL, you are redirected to the URL that consists of the primary URL + # and the image URL. I am concerned about how this might affect my SEO for the page and would appreciate any thoughts you can share.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Do framed pages count as links for ranking?

Generally, if a page on my site is heavily used by others inside a frame on their page, does this increase (or decrease even) my pagerank
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Dynamic websites: How do they affect page ranking / search engine crawling?

all! I'm working on a dynamic site with php, and I want to make one page called "news.php." What this page will do is read information from a mysql database and print it. "Page 1" has say 10 news articles, and all clicking page 2 does is tell the php script to load articles 11-20, though you're still technically on "news.php." My question is this: Will google and other search engines recognize "page 1" and "page 2" of my news.php page as two separate pages and read the content from both, or will it only see 1 news.php and completely ignore all of my other articles beyond the 'first page' of news.php
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Static HTML pages - are they better that PHP or ASP?

Newbie question: HTML pages, are they better than generated pages like PHP or ASP From what I've read, the answer seems to be yes (I haven't done excessive research though - only one or 2 things I've read here or there) The problem I have is: creating HTML only pages is slow and harder to do - as opposed to having an easy to use CMS website Why should a CMS website be penalised
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

How important are page titles?

I am webmaster for a medium sized association. I am working with a Content Management System that does not allow unique page titles. The page title is pulled from the main headline on the page so often page titles are as informative as "Sponsorship", Chapters", etc. I felt this was a problem and asked the CMS manager to allow for unique page titles. His answer was that you could put data in the Meta Description tag and was that enough As far as SEO I wasn't sure. How important is the page title Given that this site is a nonprofit and that the people who need the site seem to find it well enough. Is their an importance for the page titile, other than SEO reasons Any reasons I can use to justify the cost in changing the system to allow for unique page titles Tom
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Indexd pages gone missing

My indexed pages have dissappeared on google. Can someone enlighten me please What tools can I use to find out what I did wrong
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Linking the same page in multiple sitemaps

everybody. I've been lurking for a few weeks, this is my first post. This is a great forum, it's been very helpful to me so far The retail site I'm working on right now uses numerous sitemaps submitted to google - one for categories, one for manufacturers etc. It also has several different product maps, each one for products from different manufacturers, as well as a products sitemap that links all the product pages. Then all the product pages are also listed in sitemap.xml. So a lot of product pages are referenced 2-4 times between all these sitemaps. Is this a problem I don't imagine it helps much, and probably causes the pages that are referenced only once or twice to get crawled less than those that are referenced 3-4 times. I was wondering if anybody had any insights into whether this actually makes a difference. Does having multiple links between all our sitemaps hurt anything Does it make us look spammy to Google or Yahoo I was thinking of keeping all these sitemaps, and taking everything out of sitemap.xml and replace it with sitemap tags pointing to the rest of the maps. Would this have any impact on how the crawlers treat our maps/pages
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Local SEO - City List on web page

, First post here and wanted to get your suggestion. I run a local service business in a city with many smaller cities around it. I want to get business in each city. Currently I have my cities that I service in a list on the left hand side of all my pages. 1. Am I getting any benefit out of listing each city on every page 2. Am I better off just listing this on my homepage Other posts have suggested creating a seperate page for each city, but I feel that this may confuse my customers. My site is www azbouncepro com if anyone has a suggestion. Thx.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Updating old SEO knowledge - specifically off-page factors

Gentlemen (and ladies - no dounbt...) My site is ranking quite well. I have a static page which has undergone a number of revisions over the years in order to take advantage of changing SEO conditions. Now it is time for a revamp. Currently I have a number of pages ranking quite well in their niche fields - and non-niche too, actually. As a company reselling imported industrial equipment, I outrank my supplier's sucky websites by quite a margin - and forward numerous inquiries to them, a nice "boost" to our reputation with them I'm sure!. Now - I need (want, must-have, whatever) to change over to a CMS, my previous efforts being your usual html files loaded via dreamweaver. I need no help here. Most of the on-page stuff (as per the excellent sticky in this forum) is already in place, Drupal has been selected (I've done a few sites using Drupal), with all the usual bells-and-whistles such as clean URLs yadayada. I've even found a clean, lightweight source-ordered theme (OK - S/O is not a big deal, but I'm on a winning streak with my S/O html site so I dont want to rock the boat). I even have a dedicated IP!!!! (hooray for me - it might not make any difference but it was cheap, so I got one). There's been no black-hat on-page shenanigans, just a decent, well written and informative pages, with good titles, keyword density (I know you all reckon KWD is BS but it still seems to work against my equally PR'd competitors - and yes, I know PR is "dead"). Now- off-site is another matter, and I'd really appreciate your help. I have some places linking to me, but I could do with more. I understand the concept of link-bait & just writing good stuff (content is king, baby) that people just want to go and visit. For this exact reason have I chosen a CMS since it makes the procedure of writing content easier so I can just write MORE and I don't have to stuff around with UL/Dl of a flat html site. I plan to include many more instructional/demonstration videos posted on YouTube since the existing ones we have are proving useful. I'm also planning selling a low-cost range of items on ebay related to my normal range and I have found a few good well-ranked local directories. DRUPAL will output an RSS feed, so I have that covered. I also have the social bookmarking thing covered - since drupal has digg etc. modules I can easily add. What else do I need to consider What other general strategies are worth considering. Has anyone got any FAQ/Sticky type information on off-site optimisation strategies I can devour Hungry for info -
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Is this consider doorway page

I was wondering is it legal / ethical to have website that only have list of other people affiliates If you search for web hosting, most of the sites is displaying other affiliate sites. Is this consider doorway page for those hosting company
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!