orapwd vs OS authentication

Hi all, can any one suggests why one would prefer to use the OS authentication method compared to oracle's own password file generated by orapwd Which method is mostly used by industries

Posted On: Friday 16th of November 2012 03:02:22 AM Total Views:  481
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Oracle PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Unable to find error file (orapwd)

I've made a shellscript which I run as root... Everything works BUT i receive theese 2 error messages when running orawpd command to create a passwordfile. In the script I su to user oracle and then execute orapwd.. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Scenario one: su oracle -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwSID password=***** " Error message: Unable to find error file ------------------------------------------------------------------ Scenario two: su - oracle -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwSID password=***** " Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic February 2000 stty: : Inappropriate ioctl for device ------------------------------------------------------------------ Any clues\t Anyhow my script creates a working password file...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 20th October 2012
View Replies!

orapwd vs OS authentication

Hi all, can any one suggests why one would prefer to use the OS authentication method compared to oracle's own password file generated by orapwd Which method is mostly used by industries
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 20th October 2012
View Replies!

orapwd file (adding entries)

Can somebody review/correct my steps for adding an entry to the orapwd file. Is there an environment variable I need to set to tell it the name of the password file. In addition, how do I get a "user" in the password file when orapwd accepts file, password and entries as paramaters. Does this mean I need to give user "sys" sysdba privs USERNAME SYSDBA SYSOPER ------------------------------ ------ ------- SYS TRUE TRUE /oracle/10.2.0.1.0/dbs> orapwd file=orapwd_pri password=sys entries=50; /oracle/10.2.0.1.0/dbs> ls -tl orapwd_pri -rwxrwxr-x 1 oracle dba 7680 Jul 06 12:09 orapwd_pri /oracle/10.2.0.1.0/dbs> sqlplus "/ as sysdba" SQL> grant sysdba to pbh; grant sysdba to pbh * ERROR at line 1: ORA-01994: GRANT failed: password file missing or disabled SQL> show parameter password; NAME TYPE VALUE ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------ remote_login_passwordfile string EXCLUSIVE
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 2nd November 2012
View Replies!

orapwd.exe executable missing from installation?

I've just installed Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition on a new Windows 2003 server and applied all the security patches etc. Now I am attempting to duplicate a database using RMAN and the first thing I need to do is create a password file on my new server. However, I find that the orapwd.exe file is missing from the %ORACLE_HOME%/bin folder. I've tried copying this executable directly from another server to this one but when I try to create a password file it responds: Unable to find error file %ORACLE_HOME%\RDBMS\opw.msb Has anyone come across this or know how I can proceed I would be grateful for a response. Many
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 2nd November 2012
View Replies!

orapwd

i already created an orapw[SID] file in unix, but when i connect internal in svrmgrl it doesnt ask me a password. what do i need to setup edward
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 2nd November 2012
View Replies!

Unable to find error file (orapwd)

I've made a shellscript which I run as root... Everything works BUT i receive theese 2 error messages when running orawpd command to create a passwordfile. In the script I su to user oracle and then execute orapwd.. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Scenario one: su oracle -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwSID password=***** " Error message: Unable to find error file ------------------------------------------------------------------ Scenario two: su - oracle -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwSID password=***** " Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic February 2000 stty: : Inappropriate ioctl for device ------------------------------------------------------------------ Any clues\t Anyhow my script creates a working password file...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 7th November 2012
View Replies!

Tuning DW vs. OLTP

What is the top 5 tuning differentce between tuning a pretty large DW database and pretty large OLTP database
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 15th November 2012
View Replies!

Transportable Tablespace vs Read only database

Hi , I am seeking information on whether is possible to export the transportable tablespace from the standby database
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

tablespace privs...

... When ever any end user create the DB user, they create it in USERS tablespace, and they import the database dump in USER or SYSTEM tablespace. What i need is.. nobody should be allowed to create DB-USER in default USER tablespace and import anything in USER tablespace. how do we restrict USER /SYSTEM tablespace.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Sun CFS vs Veritas CFS - anyone using?

Solaris - 9.2 Is anyone using Sun Clustered File Systems with RAC Is anyone using Veritas Clustered Files Systems with RAC If so, how's it going http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=35141 got no answer and roukie_dba was advised against CFS on windoz in another post. My question is strictly with Sun boxes.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

SQL in Development vs. Production

We have a sql statement that is taking 2 minutes to run in Develeopment as opposed to much longer in production. The execution plan is the same in both instances. What could be reason why it is taking much longer in production The difference in number of rows is minimal. Here is the plan. Rows Execution Plan ------- --------------------------------------------------- 0 SELECT STATEMENT GOAL: RULE 0 SORT (ORDER BY) 0 FILTER 0 TABLE ACCESS GOAL: ANALYZED (FULL) OF 'ME_SLGL_COA_MASTER_MAP' 0 SORT (AGGREGATE) 0 TABLE ACCESS GOAL: ANALYZED (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'ME_SLGL_COA_MASTER_MAP' 0 INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF 'COA_MASTER_MAP_AP_ACCT' (NON-UNIQUE)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Solaris 7 vs 8 and version #'s

Ok I always forget what the different versions of Sun/Solaris are, and now I really need to know uname -a on our machine gives SunOS irad-rms 5.6 Generic_105181-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250 From what I understand that's Solaris 2.6, is that also what they call the Solaris 7 environment Is the Solaris 8 environment 2.8 The issue is that we're upgrading our machine and will hopefully be able to swap the disks and have our apps run on the new machine, I want to make sure the OS's are at the same level. When ordering a new machine from sun it gives the options of Solaris 7, and Solaris 8. I got from Oracle that Applications is supported on 2.6 and 2.8, but not 2.7. Can anybody help clear up the the versions
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

scripts for granting privs on thousands of objects

Hi , My user just ask me to grant select privilege on thousands of objects to him. Anyone has script to do it
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Rule vs Choose

I've queries works fine whith Rule hints. Without Rule hint they r very slow. The schema is analyzed (tables and indexes). With witch hint can i replace the rule Bensmail
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

roles and privs

, What view do I query to in order to know what roles and privileges have been granted to users; I know the view v$pw_passwordfile only shows users who have been granted the sysdba and sysoper role, but what about the others
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Restrict user privs

I have some tables that have grant select to public. So, by default, when I create a new user, the user is allowed to select data from these tables. Now business rules have changed. I need to give select priv to on only selected tables, but these tables have grant select to public priviously assigned. Without revoking this grant, is there any way that I can restrict selected users not to select data from these tables
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 16th November 2012
View Replies!

Redo Logs -recreate vs add new groups

, I have 3 groups redo logs every group has one member (80 M). Seems that this are too small. What you rather do, recreate them bigger or add new groups. And what would be the reason you chose one option versus the other one.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

plsql vs VB

Hi Friends, I understand that Visual Basic Programs can access,process,do matching on two tables in separate databases (e.g. Oracle and Sqlserver) thru ODBC. Can Oracle PL/SQL or Forms do the same
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Physical DBA vs. Development DBA

Thoughts Comments This is week 3 at my new job as a remoteDBA, so I should change my handle as I never took the gig requiring air travel. As I do this job I feel it is about all of the things Oracle is trying to automate and that the DW work I used to do was closer to the business. I think that puts you in a better position to do more value-add work. This article talks about how the DBA must move towards the business and away from the low level tech chores. http://66.102.7.104/searchq=cache:f...utsource&hl=en Anyone agree Disagree
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Performance Windows 2003 32bit vs 64bit

Because I would like to use without any problem more the 2 or 3 GB of RAM I was thinking to migrate from Windows 2003 32bit to Windows 2003 64bit. I would then also migrate from Oracle 10gR2 32bit to Oracle 10gR2 64bit. Are there any performance impacts when I migrate Windows and Oracle from 32bit to 64bit
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!