MSSQL vs. MySQL

Does anyone know which is better performance wise I have always thought MSSQL was generally better in terms of speed, scalability, and stability, until I found out that MySQL MaxDB supports a lot of new features including stored procedures/triggers + I saw this graph(s): http://www.eweek.com/slideshow/0,3670,s=1590&a=23120&po=1&i=1,00.asp And since I'm on this topic of performance, what do you think is the best server (IIS, Apache) I would appreciate your 2 cents.
Posted On: Wednesday 21st of November 2012 02:53:19 AM Total Views:  84
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Oracle PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

migrate DATA from mssql to oracle

I need to migrate about 3GB data from MS SQL 7 database to Oracle 8.1.7 database in a Win2K environment. The SQL 7 database is a live production database, while Oracle is just another db platform supported by the application and needs to be tested. Since I do have the schema in Oracle already, which migration tool will allow me to just migrate data from SQL to Oracle Will Oracle Migration Workbench do it I looked at it briefly, and it seems that it will migrate everything --- Data, Schema and application. Is that an option to just migrate data I know I can convert them to text file first and then use the SQL Loader to load them, but I don't really like this option since it's a very tedious process when I did it last time.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 25th October 2012
View Replies!

php to mssql=>> oracle

I heard aobut PHP being used to migrate data from MSSQL DB to ORACLE DB. Does anybody here tried it yet. Can i used ODBC connect to both database via php
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 2nd November 2012
View Replies!

Please help me to convert mssql stored procedure to oracle procedure.

Please help me in this sql procedure as follows...... ALTER proc [dbo].[DMS_BooleanSearchByUser] ( @maximumRows int, @paramselectedvalue varchar(100), @paramvalue nvarchar(500), @sortexpression varchar(100), @size int, @Userid int ) As declare @sql nvarchar(4000) begin set @sql = 'SELECT ID,uploadid,uploadedFilePath,FilePath,uploadedDt as uploadedDate FROM (select TOP '+ cast(@maximumRows as varchar(10)) + ' ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY '+ @sortexpression +' ) as ROW_NUM, * FROM ( SELECT ID,uploadid,uploadedFilePath,FilePath,uploadedDt FROM (select distinct s.ID,u.ID as uploadid,s.FilenamePath as UploadedFilePath, (STUFF(stuff(s.doctype,len(s.doctype),2, reverse(right(s.doctype,2))), LEN(s.DocType)+1, LEN(s.FilenamePath),substring(s.FilenamePath, Len(s.filenamepath)-CHARINDEX('+char(39)+char(92)+char(39)+',REVERSE(s.FilenamePath))+1, CHARINDEX('+char(39)+char(92)+ char(39)+',REVERSE(s.FilenamePath))))) as FilePath, Convert(varchar(20), u.uploadedDate, 103) as uploadedDate,u.uploadedDate as uploadedDt from Parameters_table p, Index_Parameters_Table i,Uploaded_Files_Table u,Scanned_Files_Table s where p.ID=i.Parameterid and p.parameters='+char(39)+@paramselectedvalue+char(39)+' and i.Parametervalue LIKE N'+char(39)+ @paramvalue +char(39)+' and u.Id=i.Uploadedfileid and u.ScannedFileId=s.ID and u.DeleteFlag=0) as a, --and s.ID in ( select DocumentId from Doc_User_Permissions_Table where UserId='+cast(@Userid as varchar(10))+' and FolderId in ( select FolderId from Folder_User_Permissions_Table where UserId='+cast(@Userid as varchar(10))+' and PermissionId6 ) and PermissionsId6) as b where a.id=b.documentid ) as temp) innerSelect WHERE ROW_NUM > ' + cast(@size as varchar(10)) --print @sql exec sp_executesql @sql end
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 2nd November 2012
View Replies!

Scripts vs. Configuration Assistant

I have created a db using Database Configuration Assistant and I choose to save the scripts. After that deleted the database and tried to recreate it using the scripts generated by Oracle. It didn't work. Look what I found in the log files: SQL> startup nomount pfile="C:\oracle\admin\orsp\scripts\init.ora"; ORACLE instance started. Total System Global Area 63729356 bytes Fixed Size 282316 bytes Variable Size 41943040 bytes Database Buffers 20971520 bytes Redo Buffers 532480 bytes SQL> CREATE DATABASE orsp 2 MAXINSTANCES 1 3 MAXLOGHISTORY 1 4 MAXLOGFILES 5 5 MAXLOGMEMBERS 5 6 MAXDATAFILES 100 7 DATAFILE 'C:\oracle\oradata\orsp\system01.dbf' SIZE 200M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10240K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED 8 UNDO TABLESPACE "UNDOTBS" DATAFILE 'C:\oracle\oradata\orsp\undotbs01.dbf' SIZE 200M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 5120K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED 9 CHARACTER SET WE8MSWIN1252 10 NATIONAL CHARACTER SET AL16UTF16 11 LOGFILE GROUP 1 ('C:\oracle\oradata\orsp\redo01.log') SIZE 100M, 12 GROUP 2 ('C:\oracle\oradata\orsp\redo02.log') SIZE 100M, 13 GROUP 3 ('C:\oracle\oradata\orsp\redo03.log') SIZE 100M; CREATE DATABASE orsp * ERROR at line 1: ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced SQL> spool off Could somebody jhelp me with this error message Why it worked when run by Oracle and it didn't from the scripts Thank you.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 7th November 2012
View Replies!

Public vs. Public Synonym

If we grant privileges on a table to PUBLIC, all database users have access to the table. How does a public synonym differ from that If we create a public synonym on that table, does that make the table available to all users too What is the dierence between a direct grant to public and creating a public synonym
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: DB2 vs. Oracle

Ugh! My company is thinking of switching to IBMs DB2 from Oracle. Obviously, I don't want THAT to happen. Do any of you have any info regarding DB2 How can I sell the company on Oracle vs. DB2 Basically, they wanna go to DB2 because it is SO much cheaper for the liscenses etc. Any info on how bad DB2 is would be greatly helpful! ;-P - Magnus
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Oracle vs. MySql

, First I know this may not be the right place to post the question, but I am hopping that you can help me. I am not asking which database server is better becouse I know the answer about that. I am sure that comparison was made between Oracle and MySql ( real tests - perfomance... ). I am intrested in benchmarks and similar staff. Does anyone knows where could I find that kind of information. I
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Oracle vs. SQLServer vs. DB2

The following is a good link for resources comparing DB2 and SQLServer vs. Oracle: http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid13_gci801069,00.html
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

ISPs and MS SQL vs. MySQL

I'm currently running several MS SQL tables at GoDaddy.com. Soon I'll be running up against their MS SQL limits and will have to either migrate to MySQL on GoDaddy or move to another ISP altogether. Does anybody know of an ISP that offers large MS SQL storage at a reasonable price\t It seems that most ISPs, if they offer MS SQL at all, do so only for very small databases. And if I have to switch to MySQL, can anybody recommend guidelines on how to switch from MS SQL to MySQL\t I have a number of stored procedures that I understand will not run under MySQL.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

configure store procedure in vs.net 2005

I tried to configure a SqlDataSource control to use an oracle stored procedure under an oracle package, e.g. myPackageName.myProcedureName, in vs.net 2005. I couldn't see my package or my procedure in the dropdown list of Procedures in Configure Data Source window. I am wondering if it's possible. If yes, how to
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Oracle Package vs. Client-Side statement

Can someone point me to some facts on the advantages of using an Oracle Package vs. a client-side statement on a webpage that is sent to Oracle We're trying to write a justification for putting all of the client-side statements into packages on our Oracle server and calling them that way as opposed to sending a select statement string to oracle.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle

I want to connect to an Oracle database, and I understand that I can use either the OleDB.Net data provider or the ODBC.Net data provider for my connection. Does it matter which one I use What are the advantages and disadvantages of each Would appreciate any input.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Join Two Tables from mysql and mssql

Hi i use vs2010 and c# there is a grid with a sqldatasource there a table on a mysql server and one table on a mssql server. is it possible to join them on sqldatasource .. best regards
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

insert,update & delete problem for oracle db from vs.net2005 using c# & object data source

how i can refer to the varchar2 data type from vs.net 2005 how i can update, insert & delete the database ENTRY How i can oracle stored procedure from vs.net2005how can i pass parameters
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Tuning DW vs. OLTP

What is the top 5 tuning differentce between tuning a pretty large DW database and pretty large OLTP database
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 15th November 2012
View Replies!

tablespace privs...

... When ever any end user create the DB user, they create it in USERS tablespace, and they import the database dump in USER or SYSTEM tablespace. What i need is.. nobody should be allowed to create DB-USER in default USER tablespace and import anything in USER tablespace. how do we restrict USER /SYSTEM tablespace.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

SQL in Development vs. Production

We have a sql statement that is taking 2 minutes to run in Develeopment as opposed to much longer in production. The execution plan is the same in both instances. What could be reason why it is taking much longer in production The difference in number of rows is minimal. Here is the plan. Rows Execution Plan ------- --------------------------------------------------- 0 SELECT STATEMENT GOAL: RULE 0 SORT (ORDER BY) 0 FILTER 0 TABLE ACCESS GOAL: ANALYZED (FULL) OF 'ME_SLGL_COA_MASTER_MAP' 0 SORT (AGGREGATE) 0 TABLE ACCESS GOAL: ANALYZED (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'ME_SLGL_COA_MASTER_MAP' 0 INDEX (RANGE SCAN) OF 'COA_MASTER_MAP_AP_ACCT' (NON-UNIQUE)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Physical DBA vs. Development DBA

Thoughts Comments This is week 3 at my new job as a remoteDBA, so I should change my handle as I never took the gig requiring air travel. As I do this job I feel it is about all of the things Oracle is trying to automate and that the DW work I used to do was closer to the business. I think that puts you in a better position to do more value-add work. This article talks about how the DBA must move towards the business and away from the low level tech chores. http://66.102.7.104/searchq=cache:f...utsource&hl=en Anyone agree Disagree
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 16th November 2012
View Replies!

C# vs. PL/SQL performance difference?

I am working on an ASP.NET project that has significant backend processing existing in PL\SQL. I was wondering if I re-write this code properly in C# can I get similar performance results or is the PL/SQL code going to beat my C# code every time
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 20th November 2012
View Replies!

MyODBC vs. .NET Connector [Performance]

all, I have a few applications that rely on my base project which utilizes your typical Business->Data approach. Now, the Data layer is currently using a provider agnostic approach (.NET 2.0), and right now everything is targetting the MyODBC quirks such as non named parameters (everything has to be and follow exactly the list of params according to how you want the 's to match up to the actual params) as well as some others. Performance wise, I'd like to switch over to the .NET Connector. In the beginning I didn't go with the .NET Connector because one of the developers here was saying the .NET MySQL Connector had a problem with connection pooling as well as closing connections, however, I never thought that was the case, but just went with it as truth. Does anyone know anything about this\t The main reason for this thread is to ask if there is any quantifiable evidence out there regarding performance tests of the MyODBC Connector vs. the .NET Connector Gut reaction is that the .NET Connector would be faster as there doesn't have to be that ODBC layer.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 21st November 2012
View Replies!