Why would this code fail on Vista? (Open file for read using SYstem.Resetraises error 104 on vista)

Warren Postma wrote: > What on EARTH is happening when you call Reset() that causes it to > raise a permission exception on Vista Wild guess: probably a sharing lock. Use SysInternals FileMon to be sure. -- Craig Stuntz [TeamB] ...
Posted On: Tuesday 27th of November 2012 12:57:13 AM Total Views:  320
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Delphi Programming PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Where would Jesus Code?

Folks looking to recruit developers to work on "Trading Systems" might try the "Enron Alumni" group on LinkedIn. Enron used Delphi to create some of the systems with which they performed their little charade - and the real "Smartest in the room" Empowered them. I know because I worked with several former Enron trading systems coders (one was the system's architect, in fact) at ACCH, aka Argent Mortgage, aka Ameriquest... now aka something else. Proud Predators of the American Dream. See, Delphi was one of the tools used to facilitate systemic corruption and fraud within the Sub Prime industry; but Delphi is just a tool - and whether or not the tool is used to achieve good or evil ends depends entirely upon the integrity of the tool's user; and that's YOU. After Argent purchased the source-code for Empower, their loan origination system, changes were made to Empower. Changes like enabling the falsification of FICO scores. Why monkey with the FICO score Maybe because it's the only number of significant value that can be used to verify the credit worthiness of "Liar Loan" borrowers. Those loans were bundled up into securitized packages. Could it be those securitized packages were rated using the aggregate FICO score of the loans contained in those packages Witness AAA securities downgraded to junk... hmmm... what happened there Well, regardless, we are where we are - but this is not a "credit crisis", no, it's an INTEGRITY crisis. The compiler only verifies the integrity of the code - not the integrity of the coder, or the end users. Got Honor, Delphi coders -- or is "See no evil, Hear no Evil, Speak no Evil" your credo Will you facilitate the rape and pillage of your country and Empower these pirates with the tools of their trade - or will you take a stand, and ACT to clean up the systemic corruption that our skills are being used to facilitate Will you clean up the system It's up to you. Nobody else is going to do it. Nobody else can. Your choice. BTW, the folks recruiting for the NyLons should probably add "Quisling' to their list of qualifications. Traders...Traitors...Traders...Traitors... So hard to tell the difference these days. One if by Land, Two if by Sea... and Three if by Wire Transfer.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

What would be the fastest way to stuff strings into a stream (and read them back)?

They are variable length and come from a complicated structure containing TStringHash lists. Theye have to go into a TMemoryStream so that I can write to disk with ZLib compression. I can thinks of two ways 1) Stream a length indication in (4 bytes) then the string data 2) Use delimiters and scan to the delimiters I could implement both and test, but somebody probably already did that ;-) It's not unicode yet (Delphi 6), but I want to be prepared for it (Tiburon).
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

My list D2007 annoyances/todo's I would like to see resolved in D2008

, Now that D2008 is in work in progress and I have used 2007-version for a awhile I have short list of things that are annoying or todo/feature request(s). If someone of these is just product of using the IDE wrongly I hope someone will point me into right direction, and sorry of my bad English... I will not list Obvious, "Faster this, Bigger that" - things. I (Would) think that this is already taken care of by Code Gear it self (hopefully) (And by FastCode and/or .basm dudes). (Would love to see that more efficient containers and some speed ups in object creation and destruction, because these would speed up very many programs "for free") 1. IDE can't find same set of files (Ctrl+Enter) than compiler (complained this some time back in some .Ide group, but all I got that "it should find..." answers, but clearly it will not...) A: Most of the time that I need to open file that is not already Open I try to open it with Ctrl+Enter from uses clause IDE just can't find it. B: This I could live with, but when I go to dir' where the file is I click Open, it still can't find it. Then I have to manually tell that I want to open .pas file with that name (by writing .pas after file name) 2. Containers (TList, TObjectList, TStrings...) should have way to sort with compare function definer as Object method (defined as of objcet). Lack of This leads to extremely weird code. I Can make public (enough) var which is visible to compare function, and the object who knows how the particular list should be sorted is exposed to compare code, and I can go around this (one solution I came up with yesterday). But this is far from beigh thread safe (if sorter is thread it could do this with out any locks etc.) 3. Code Completion-Todo, When you have object/component which you are not too familiar with what you do is that you write C. and hit Ctrl+Space and you browse the list provided, when you find something that is interesting you hit enter. Then maybe go into code/help to see what it actually does. if it was not what you expected, you want to browse the list again. Would be cool that when you would do Ctrl+Space again, and while moving tha cursor to the C.|SomeProperty that SomeProperty would stay selected, maybe by (going left with crtl+Left Arrow etc) so you could continue the adventures of that mysterious class from where you where. 4. Generics, this is requested a very much, and lack of generics makes some code with (for example) TObjectList, with tons of typecasts and is/as operators etc. to make that list safe, or you must make wrapper around that list to make sure that only objects you expect will go into that list, but this adds, in some cases, very much of basically unneeded code 5. Class Completion-enhancement. I would love to give hints how Ctrl+Shift+C should Complete class. by writing property Prop1: Integer; // default I think property Prop2: Integer read F write Set; property prop3: Integer read F write F; property Prop4: Integer read Get; and It would use private member with name F+PropertyName, Get / Set gettera and setters would be automatically created if I specify it now I can make both but can't limit (as far as I know) it at this level I would like.) 6. D2007 will mess up my project files uses clause. (D6 did know how to handle this much better) I have .inc file which tells what to compile into the project. for example I have {$IFDEF USE_FASTMM}FastMM4,{$ENDIF} in the project files. When I add unit to the project all the ifdef-stuff disappears from uses clause. And have to manually fix it again. OO, these I came up with too much thinking, ones I feel are important/annoying, which I need to face almost every day in my work... Hope to get feedback, and even better that most of these are User errors and there already is all/most of this available, I just don't know it -Tommi Prami-
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 24th September 2012
View Replies!

Font.color don't change on d2007/vista

What's happening is very strange. On my Delphi 2007 enterprise registered version (updated to the last) installed on Vista Business sp1 I can't change the font color of many standard vcls like TRadioGroup, TCheckBox and others. Anyone who have experienced something like this Suggestions
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

2007 vista aeroglass support? something missing...

, Ok... I played with doing some glass forms over the weekend and while its easy to extend glass beyond the border of a frame.. what good is it... if you place buttons, labels, etc on the form they dont draw correctly. Searching the internet for solutions i read that it has something to do with delphi not using gdi+ or having support for WPF for drawing on the forms correctly. Will D2008 correct this or am i missing something obvious.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

delphi application on vista

Hi I have application made in Delphi 2007 on XP and on XP is working perfectly but on vista it wont start I get the error message Project1.exe has stopped working what should I do
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 29th September 2012
View Replies!

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)

Please help me to fix problem: Last days my D2007 (update 3, december update) cannot run any project from inside IDE (F9). I ALWAYS receive this errror: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) This happens under both delphi and BCB personality. This happens with all projects (including empty projects with one empty form). This happens with any project settings (debug and release). But all projects runs fine outside IDE (if I run it manually by clicking Project.exe). So, this problem happens ONLY if I run program from IDE. I was try to un-install D2007 and manually delete all RAD Studio related files and folders from Common Files, Documents and Settings, Application Data, etc - then re-install Delphi from beginning - not helps. Still receive this error with all projects. It's looks like Windows/registry problem but I can't locate and fix it... Please help.... --- With best regards, Max Terentiev. Business Software Products. AMS Development Team. support@bspdev.com
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 29th September 2012
View Replies!

Date Comparison fails

with CodeGear Delphi 2007 for Win32 Version 11.0.2902.10471 I have following code , debug stops on if line and after jump to last line outside the block. No code inside block is executed. edate is TDatetime ( I tried also with TDate) LG_DtStr_1 is TDate if ((edate >= LG_DtStr_1) and (edate
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

CodeGear WWW Pages via Proxy do fail?

since about 2 month we do have problems to access the CodeGear webpages via our Proxy-Server. No other areas in the WWW is (as we notice) today a problem. For further details please see my raised issues: http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,8805.0.html http://www.squid-cache.org/bugs/show_bug.cgiid=2342 has anybody noticed similar problems and if yes does have a workaround regards Gnther
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: What would you use?

On 2008-04-22, Kevin Powick wrote: > Paul Hughes wrote: > >> This is a very general question. I'm trying to get a feel for the >> current trends and practices that you others would follow given the >> following situation. > > For a database, PostgreSQL - Completely free, powerful, stable. How do you interface with it from Delphi
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: It would be nice to develop for the EEPC

On 2008-04-14, D-Fan wrote: > With most of the miniature laptops that are coming out and are presently > out it would be nice to develop applications for them. Few will run XP, > but most will run Linux. Don't know. The first did, but more and more seem to be changing to Windows. Including Asus. > These devices like lean applications not the kind of applications that > you will find on Vista and even the performance of the ".Net" environment > can be a factor here. Lets not keep our heads in the sand. We need RAD > tools here please. Use D2.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

CreateFileMapping failing

The following code is failing. GetLastError returns 5. Any idea what's going wrong
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 5th October 2012
View Replies!

StringReplace fail to replace chr(13) + chr(10) to chr(10) only (#$D#$A to #$D only)

CRLF := chr(13) + chr(10); //#$D#$A CR := chr(13) + ''; //#$D ALongDesc := trimRight(ALongDesc); stringReplace(AlongDesc, CRLF, CR, [rfReplace, rfIgnoreCase]); // after stringReplace, AlongDesc still contain chr(13) + chr(10), why //'#$D#$A' , "kei" wrote in message news:4805cb13@newsgroups.borland.com... > after stringReplace, AlongDesc still contain chr(13) + chr(10), why Because you are ignoring the String that StringReplace() returns. Your code needs to be more like this instead: ALongDesc := TrimRight(ALongDesc); ALongDesc := StringReplace(ALongDesc, CRLF, CR, [rfReplace, rfIgnoreCase]); Or: ALongDesc := StringReplace(TrimRight(ALongDesc), CRLF, CR, [rfReplace, rfIgnoreCase]); Gambit
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 5th October 2012
View Replies!

turbo delphi and vista64

stevel I have recently bought a new notebook from Dell with Vista (should have taken the XP option) for 645 inv VAT and have installed both D6 & D2006 on it. Things seem to work OK. Roy Lambert
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 6th October 2012
View Replies!

2007 vista aeroglass support? something missing...

, Ok... I played with doing some glass forms over the weekend and while its easy to extend glass beyond the border of a frame.. what good is it... if you place buttons, labels, etc on the form they dont draw correctly. Searching the internet for solutions i read that it has something to do with delphi not using gdi+ or having support for WPF for drawing on the forms correctly. Will D2008 correct this or am i missing something obvious.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 16th October 2012
View Replies!

CodeGear WWW Pages via Proxy do fail?

since about 2 month we do have problems to access the CodeGear webpages via our Proxy-Server. No other areas in the WWW is (as we notice) today a problem. For further details please see my raised issues: http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,8805.0.html http://www.squid-cache.org/bugs/show_bug.cgiid=2342 has anybody noticed similar problems and if yes does have a workaround regards Gnther
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Compile fails: Unable to rename xxx.~pas

> Seen exactly the same here. A pity, as I would really like to have my > .PAS files indexed. I just stop Copernic, finish Delphi, and restart > Copernic. > > Have you reported the problem I feel someone should. Never seen the point of indexers - a full text search of files on my c: drive doesn't take that long Cheers, Chris , Chris Morgan wrote: >> Seen exactly the same here. A pity, as I would really like to have my >> .PAS files indexed. I just stop Copernic, finish Delphi, and restart >> Copernic. >> >> Have you reported the problem I feel someone should. > > Never seen the point of indexers - a full text search of files > on my c: drive doesn't take that long Does it give you the results before you're even finished typing the word you want to search for Google Desktop Search does. -- Rob , "Rob Kennedy" wrote in message news:475875dc@newsgroups.borland.com... > Chris Morgan wrote: >>> Seen exactly the same here. A pity, as I would really like to have my >>> .PAS files indexed. I just stop Copernic, finish Delphi, and restart >>> Copernic. >>> >>> Have you reported the problem I feel someone should. >> >> Never seen the point of indexers - a full text search of files >> on my c: drive doesn't take that long > > Does it give you the results before you're even finished typing the word > you want to search for Google Desktop Search does. But thats google not coppernic. Besides, indexing basically boils down to a list of files which is continually monitored for changes to files, filenames etc. It isn't really fiar to call it a true search like the windows search feature which does it live in real time. , >> Never seen the point of indexers - a full text search of files >> on my c: drive doesn't take that long > > Does it give you the results before you're even finished typing the word > you want to search for Google Desktop Search does. > Why do I need that I'd rather wait 30 secs when I need to search for something, rather than have the constant overhead of an unecessary file monitor running all the time. Cheers, Chris
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

developing on vista machine

Because it can take two to three hours to install delphi and the upgrades and 3rd party components on vista, I'm hoping someone who is doing it can answer a couple of questions. 1. When working on vista, does uac ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 15th November 2012
View Replies!

Assertion failure bkpt.cpp at line 39

Delphi 5 delphi3.exe Assertion failure: "(removed)" in ..\win32src\bkpt.cpp at line 39 Continue execution [Yes] [No] Just letting people know. i have no steps to reproduce. i know it cannot be fixed. i'm not asking for a fix....
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 22nd November 2012
View Replies!

Indy 10 Delphi 5 fails

Can't load package C:\Program Files\Indy 10 for Delphi 5\LibD5\dclIndyCore50.bpl. Cannot load package 'IndySystem50.' It contains unit 'FileCtrl,';which is also contained in package 'Vclx50' Fortunatly Indy 9 still works....
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 22nd November 2012
View Replies!