developing on vista machine

Because it can take two to three hours to install delphi and the upgrades and 3rd party components on vista, I'm hoping someone who is doing it can answer a couple of questions. 1. When working on vista, does uac ...
Posted On: Thursday 15th of November 2012 09:51:45 PM Total Views:  129
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Delphi Programming PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Developing in virtual machine: Recommendations

Okay, I decided to bite the bullet and move all my programming/development work into a virtual machine due to various reasons. I've got required licenses for VMWare Workstation and all versions of Windows that I'm going to support. Basically, I do two kinds of development: (1) Applications. of these are usually developed under the latest version of Delphi/Win32 (currently RAD Studio 2007). They will be used on various flavors of Windows so I'd like to test them on all supported OSes. (2) Component libraries. These are developed under the latest version of Delphi/C++ Builder, but I need to ensure compatibility across various versions of Delphi/C++ Builder since D5 up to RAD Studio 2007 (currently) because that's what my customers use. Furthermore, I'd need to test those components under all supported OSes as well. I've got a printed copy of the Workstation 6 users manual. However it does not answer the following questions: (a) What kind of OS are you running on when developing in a VM (b) How much memory do I need for the VM that will be used for development (c) Do you allow your VM to access the internet If so, do you install the antivirus and firewall there as well If not, how do you apply the updates to the operating system (d) I'm slightly confused about the network connection settings: bridged, NAT, host only, custom, etc. I have two network cards. Normally I use the firts one to access the internet and the other one to access various industrial devices connected to my physical machine (for conducting a communication tests). Regarding the second network card: There are either ethernet-enabled devices connected to this card or there is ethernet-to-RS485 hardware converter connected that is used to access a whole sub-network of RS-485 devices. I also have Lantronix Redirector software installed on my system that comes with a special driver that creates a virtual serial port in the system which is then used for the communication between my apps and the RS-485 network. Could anyone give me an advice how to achieve this setup in a VM (e) How large the virtual disk should be Do you set it to preallocate the whole disk space or just let it grow (f) Do you have any tips regarding how should I lay out the hiearachy of my virtual machines (g) Would you suggest any papers, manuals or tutorials to read (apart from Workstation users manual) (h) Can you give any other suggestion or two regarding the setup of virtual machine you think it'd be worth mentioning Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -- Ivo Bauer
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 21st September 2012
View Replies!

Can't execute internet explorer and inkball on new desktop in vista

Hi all, I tried to execute internet explorer and inkball on new desktop in vista,but it didn't work with error messages 'You must be an administrator to open Internet Explorer on this desktop. To open Internet Explorer, right-click the Internet Explorer icon, and the click "Run as administrator"' for internet explorer and 'InkBall is not working on your computer right now. Restart your computer and then try again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.' for InkBall. I could execute both programs normally on default desktop. Here's my code : program launcher; {$APPTYPE CONSOLE} uses SysUtils, windows; var hOriginalThread : HDesk; hOriginalInput : HDesk; hNewDesktop : HDesk; ProcessInfo : TProcessInformation; aAppName : string; StartupInfo : TStartupInfo; sa : TSecurityAttributes; begin hOriginalThread := GetThreadDesktop(GetCurrentThreadId()); hOriginalInput := OpenInputDesktop(0, FALSE,GENERIC_ALL); hNewDesktop := CreateDesktop('vstDesktop', nil, nil, 0, GENERIC_ALL, nil); SetThreadDesktop(hNewDesktop); SwitchDesktop(hNewDesktop); FillChar(StartupInfo,Sizeof(StartupInfo),#0); StartupInfo.cb := Sizeof(StartupInfo); StartupInfo.dwFlags := STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW; StartupInfo.wShowWindow := SW_SHOW; StartupInfo.lpDesktop := 'vstDesktop'; CreateProcess(nil, 'c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe', nil, nil, false, NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, nil, nil,StartupInfo, ProcessInfo); if ProcessInfo.hProcess 0 then begin WaitForSingleObject(ProcessInfo.hProcess, INFINITE); CloseHandle(ProcessInfo.hProcess); ProcessInfo.hProcess := 0; end; FillChar(StartupInfo,Sizeof(StartupInfo),#0); StartupInfo.cb := Sizeof(StartupInfo); StartupInfo.dwFlags := STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW; StartupInfo.wShowWindow := SW_SHOW; StartupInfo.lpDesktop := 'vstDesktop'; CreateProcess(nil, 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\inkball\inkball.exe', nil, nil, false, NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, nil, nil,StartupInfo, ProcessInfo); if ProcessInfo.hProcess 0 then begin WaitForSingleObject(ProcessInfo.hProcess, INFINITE); CloseHandle(ProcessInfo.hProcess); ProcessInfo.hProcess := 0; end; // Restore original desktop SwitchDesktop(hOriginalInput); SetThreadDesktop(hOriginalThread); // Close the Desktop CloseDesktop(hNewDesktop); end. What could be wrong
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

Ghost image of my colleague machine

I just started a new job and my colleague developer uses ghost image to clone his machine to my new machine. We use Visual Source Safe for versioning control. Now I got Delphi 5 nightmare. I don't know its Visual Source Safe or this clone machine's problem, everytime I compile/build the project there is no way to make sure the project is really compiled or build. It seems remeber the last compile/build condition. eg. If the last compiled/build is OK, when I add some dummy characters in the source code and recompile again, it may not detect that error. I tried to save the file, build couple of times and then Delphi may detect that.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

How to embed a vista manifest in EXE?

anyone know how to embed a vista manifest in an existing exe
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Font.color don't change on d2007/vista

What's happening is very strange. On my Delphi 2007 enterprise registered version (updated to the last) installed on Vista Business sp1 I can't change the font color of many standard vcls like TRadioGroup, TCheckBox and others. Anyone who have experienced something like this Suggestions
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

2007 vista aeroglass support? something missing...

, Ok... I played with doing some glass forms over the weekend and while its easy to extend glass beyond the border of a frame.. what good is it... if you place buttons, labels, etc on the form they dont draw correctly. Searching the internet for solutions i read that it has something to do with delphi not using gdi+ or having support for WPF for drawing on the forms correctly. Will D2008 correct this or am i missing something obvious.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

delphi application on vista

Hi I have application made in Delphi 2007 on XP and on XP is working perfectly but on vista it wont start I get the error message Project1.exe has stopped working what should I do
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 29th September 2012
View Replies!

want help for developing Socket server with heavy traffic

Dear I want to two write a Transaction socket server that can handle heavy traffic.I need some advise and help in design. The clients actions are onnect,SendRequestStr,GetResponseStr,Disconnect. Expected traffic is about 300 Transaction per second. Request processing is about 0.5-1 seconds. -What is your advice o implement it -use TSocketServer or TIdTCPServer which have better performance -what value should be set for the thread pool size for above specs -Develop server Application as Win Vcl app or console application -As you know every clinet conection builds a thread to response, in multi processor (dual or quad) how distribute threads between them as single exe application -if I want to use win64 and 64bit computer power,The only compiler for delphi is FreePascal. is it approved for heavy and commercial applications
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 30th September 2012
View Replies!

Delphi and 64 bit machines

I am a hobby developer that has had delphi enterprise versions for years and now am looking to pick up a Vista 64 bit machine. Is there any way I can run Delphi7 enterprise on a box like that with that operating system I'm not looking to develop 64 bit apps. With all of the time I've invested in Delphi is that going to still be a viable environment in the next few years. TIA RT
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

turbo delphi and vista64

stevel I have recently bought a new notebook from Dell with Vista (should have taken the XP option) for 645 inv VAT and have installed both D6 & D2006 on it. Things seem to work OK. Roy Lambert
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 6th October 2012
View Replies!

Application.Terminate doesn't on one machine

I have an app that has a home-grown update-from-the-network capability. It detects when a new setup is available, launches it, then quits, using application.terminate. But on one PC in the office it does not terminate, so the setup (inno) can't replace the exe. The one that fails is XP. It works on my vista laptop and on my win2k desktop. Any thoughts Jeremy
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 9th October 2012
View Replies!

Developing in virtual machine: Recommendations

Okay, I decided to bite the bullet and move all my programming/development work into a virtual machine due to various reasons. I've got required licenses for VMWare Workstation and all versions of Windows that I'm going to support. Basically, I do two kinds of development: (1) Applications. of these are usually developed under the latest version of Delphi/Win32 (currently RAD Studio 2007). They will be used on various flavors of Windows so I'd like to test them on all supported OSes. (2) Component libraries. These are developed under the latest version of Delphi/C++ Builder, but I need to ensure compatibility across various versions of Delphi/C++ Builder since D5 up to RAD Studio 2007 (currently) because that's what my customers use. Furthermore, I'd need to test those components under all supported OSes as well. I've got a printed copy of the Workstation 6 users manual. However it does not answer the following questions: (a) What kind of OS are you running on when developing in a VM (b) How much memory do I need for the VM that will be used for development (c) Do you allow your VM to access the internet If so, do you install the antivirus and firewall there as well If not, how do you apply the updates to the operating system (d) I'm slightly confused about the network connection settings: bridged, NAT, host only, custom, etc. I have two network cards. Normally I use the firts one to access the internet and the other one to access various industrial devices connected to my physical machine (for conducting a communication tests). Regarding the second network card: There are either ethernet-enabled devices connected to this card or there is ethernet-to-RS485 hardware converter connected that is used to access a whole sub-network of RS-485 devices. I also have Lantronix Redirector software installed on my system that comes with a special driver that creates a virtual serial port in the system which is then used for the communication between my apps and the RS-485 network. Could anyone give me an advice how to achieve this setup in a VM (e) How large the virtual disk should be Do you set it to preallocate the whole disk space or just let it grow (f) Do you have any tips regarding how should I lay out the hiearachy of my virtual machines (g) Would you suggest any papers, manuals or tutorials to read (apart from Workstation users manual) (h) Can you give any other suggestion or two regarding the setup of virtual machine you think it'd be worth mentioning Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -- Ivo Bauer
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 16th October 2012
View Replies!

2007 vista aeroglass support? something missing...

, Ok... I played with doing some glass forms over the weekend and while its easy to extend glass beyond the border of a frame.. what good is it... if you place buttons, labels, etc on the form they dont draw correctly. Searching the internet for solutions i read that it has something to do with delphi not using gdi+ or having support for WPF for drawing on the forms correctly. Will D2008 correct this or am i missing something obvious.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

application startup shutdown slow on dev. machine

I have a delphi 32 bit c/s app that connects to sql server and everything works fine, but some time ago it started to take a long time on startup and shutdown on my dev. machine (a couple of minutes), while on other computers that have significantly less resources than my dev. machine it starts up very quickly. I suspect it's one of the standard updates like acrobat or other tools that was installed and now this causes this. Other than the slowdown for my app there are no problems. Does anybody have any idea on how to troubleshoot this and find the problem Are there any tools Thank you Vadim
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Test rigs, dev machines and psychic debugging

I got a cool new dev machine from my Boss as a sort of late Xmas present a few months ago. After all the fun of installing Delphi on it, and getting all of my custom components to work to the point where I could rebuild a project successfully, I ran into a bit of a lazy block where I couldn't be bothered installing some of the additional software that it provided by other parties, and that our software relies on. In the past, my dev machine has been capable of doing anything that a client machine would be able to do, but this new machine is much cleaner, can't do a bunch of stuff, and I am pretty happy about it. In the worst-case scenario, I can fire up a VM that is fully specced and try to figure out problems that way. This happens rarely. More often, I'll write a driver that emulates what the 3rd party stuff is supposed to do, and leave it up to the testing dept to do end-to-end checks. I decided a while ago that my dev machine should not also be a test- rig, so that leaves me with only psychic debugging as a way of tracking down most bugs. The thing that I have found most beneficial about this approach is that it is way more productive/effective than anything I did earlier. I've found that debugging most issues ends up being an exercise in solving problems by thinking about them, in much the same way that you might try to solve a Sudoku puzzle without looking at it. Maybe there's also an element of being able to "hold a program in your head". Gone are the days of swearing at the IDE debugger and the way it throws focus around indiscriminatley (using BDS2006 here). Instead, I can just go to bed and sleep on the problem, secure in the knowledge that in finding the bug, I might also find a good re-factoring opportunity or algorithm improvement. The systems that I work on are large and complex. There's nothing really psychic about trying to understand every part of what the system is doing simultaneously, but I do find that the restriction of not being able to single step through what it is up to has helped me enormously. It can, however, be a bit mind-bending. The testers and customers think that I am psychic. Do you work this way Would/could you work this way Scout
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Unique key per machine / instance

In my client / server application I need a unique key for each instance of the application on all machines in a local network. I thought about a combination of the local IP address and the Application.Handle. Is this ok ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 10th November 2012
View Replies!