Reminder: PyCon proposals due in a week

The deadline for PyCon 2006 submissions is now only a week away.
If you've been procrastinating about putting your outline together,
now's the time to get going...

Call for Proposals:
http://www.python.org/pycon/2006/cfp

Proposal submission site:
http://submit.python.org/

--amk
Posted On: Monday 5th of November 2012 03:59:03 AM Total Views:  129
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Python Programming PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Need help with python poker game, project must be complete in 2 weeks

I'm using Python vers. 2.5.2 and I desperately need help here. Some of you may have seen my previous thread but I have scrapped that code since learning a little about lists/arrays in Python. This is to be my final project for an intro to programming class and we haven't actually covered arrays yet, but I jumped ahead in my book and lab manual. Since it is 'technically' homework if you don't want to give me the answers outright I understand, just perhaps tell me what I'm doing wrong on the sections of the code that need work. I appreciate it very much, . What I want my program to do is: Ask the player if they want to play a hand of five-card draw, if they input 'y' the program should deal 5 unique cards to the player. In my previous code I could get five random cards without using a list but I couldn't seem to code them in a way that they were all unique, I would sometimes get repeats. After the initial deal, the player should be able to enter the numbers of the cards he wants to discard and redraw, or if he wants to stick with the initial 5 cards he can enter '0.' The program will then figure out which kind of hand he has (straight, two pair, etc.) and display this. No score is to be kept unless I get really ambitious between now and when the project is due. So I'm stuck at the beginning. I can get the module I have right now to deal 1 random card, but I guess my understanding of arrays is not correct. Please see the code and output error below: (Toggle Plain Text) import random def main(): getCards() firstCard = i[0]+j[0] secondCard = i[1]+j[1] thirdCard = i[2]+j[2] fourthCard = i[3]+j[3] fifthCard = i[4]+j[4] print "Your cards are: " print firstCard, secondCard, thirdCard, fourthCard, fifthCard def getCards(): for i in range(5): i = random.choice(['A', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', 'T', 'J', 'Q', 'K']) return i for j in range(5): j = random.choice(['c', 'd', 'h', 's']) return j main() import random def main(): getCards() firstCard = i[0]+j[0] secondCard = i[1]+j[1] thirdCard = i[2]+j[2] fourthCard = i[3]+j[3] fifthCard = i[4]+j[4] print "Your cards are: " print firstCard, secondCard, thirdCard, fourthCard, fifthCard def getCards(): for i in range(5): i = random.choice(['A', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', 'T', 'J', 'Q', 'K']) return i for j in range(5): j = random.choice(['c', 'd', 'h', 's']) return j main()
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 21st October 2012
View Replies!

Memory error due to the huge/huge input file size

Everyone, I need to read a .csv file which has a size of 2.26 GB . And I wrote a Python script , where I need to read this file. And my Computer has 2 GB RAM Please see the code as follows: """ This program has been developed to retrieve all the promoter sequences for the specified list of genes in the given cluster So, this program will act as a substitute to the whole EZRetrieve system Input arguments: 1) Cluster.txt or DowRatClust161718bwithDummy.txt 2) TransProCrossReferenceAndSequences.csv -> This is the file that has all the promoter sequences 3) -2000 4) 500 """ import time import csv import sys import linecache import re from sets import Set import gc print time.localtime() fileInputHandler = open(sys.argv[1],"r") line = fileInputHandler.readline() refSeqIDsinTransPro = [] promoterSequencesinTransPro = [] reader2 = csv.reader(open(sys.argv[2],"rb")) reader2_list = [] reader2_list.extend(reader2) for data2 in reader2_list: refSeqIDsinTransPro.append(data2[3]) for data2 in reader2_list: promoterSequencesinTransPro.append(data2[4]) while line: l = line.rstrip('\n') for j in range(1,len(refSeqIDsinTransPro)): found = re.search(l,refSeqIDsinTransPro[j]) if found: """promoterSequencesinTransPro[j] """ print l line = fileInputHandler.readline() fileInputHandler.close() The error that I got is given as follows: Traceback (most recent call last): File "RefSeqsToPromoterSequences.py", line 31, in reader2_list.extend(reader2) MemoryError I understand that the issue is Memory error and it is caused because of the line reader2_list.extend(reader2). Is there any other alternative method in reading the .csv file line by line sincerely, Suprabhath
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Sep 9)

"Gabriel Genellina" writes: > QOTW: "So why am I supposed to care about SOAP again Oh yes, the > wizards I can use to generate 'web service end-points' from > programming language code. My years in the SOAP trenches just > makes me laugh myself half to death at that notion: I would > probably have been twice as productive if every time I reached for > a SOAP toolkit I instead just coded straight XML in HTTP. And this > represents experience with Python, Java and C WS tools." - Uche > Ogbuji It looks as if that Large Hadron Collider is having ill effects already. A week has been stretched into 6 years. ;-) http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-de.../msg00259.html -- Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent pete.forman@westerngeco.com -./\.- the opinion of Schlumberger or http://petef.22web.net -./\.- WesternGeco.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

Tremendous slowdown due to garbage collection

In an application dealing with very large text files, I need to create dictionaries indexed by tuples of words (bi-, tri-, n-grams) or nested dictionaries. The number of different data structures in memory grows into orders beyond 1E7. It turns out that the default behaviour of Python is not very suitable for such a situation, as garbage collection occasionally traverses all objects in memory (including all tuples) in order to find out which could be collected. This leads to the sitation that creating O(N) objects effectively takes O(N*N) time. Although this can be cured by switching garbage collection off before the data structures are built and back on afterwards, it may easily lead a user not familiar with the fine details of garbage collection behaviour to the impression of weak scalability, which would be a pity, as the real problem is much more specific and can be cured. The problem is already clearly visible for 1M objects, but for larger numbers it gets much more pronounced. Here is a very simple example that displays the problem. > python2.5 -m timeit 'gc.disable();l=[(i,) for i in range(1000000)]' 10 loops, best of 3: 329 msec per loop > python2.5 -m timeit 'gc.enable();l=[(i,) for i in range(1000000)]' 10 loops, best of 3: 4.06 sec per loop > python2.5 -m timeit 'gc.disable();l=[(i,) for i in range(2000000)]' 10 loops, best of 3: 662 msec per loop > python2.5 -m timeit 'gc.enable();l=[(i,) for i in range(2000000)]' 10 loops, best of 3: 15.2 sec per loop In the latter case, the garbage collector apparently consumes about 97% of the overall time. I would suggest to configure the default behaviour of the garbage collector in such a way that this squared complexity is avoided without requiring specific knowledge and intervention by the user. Not being an expert in these details I would like to ask the gurus how this could be done. I hope this should be at least technically possible, whether it is really deable or important for a default installation of Python could then be discussed once the disadvantages of such a setting would be apparent.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

Re: problems with opening files due to file's path

Alexnb wrote: > Okay, so what I want my program to do it open a file, a music file in > specific, and for this we will say it is an .mp3. Well, I am using the > system() command from the os class. [...] > > system("\"C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\My Documents\My > Music\Rhapsody\Bryanbros\Weezer\(2001)\04 - Island In The Sun.wma\"") > [...] Try os.startfile() instead. It should work better. -- Gerhard
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

pycon matplotlib tutorial deadline tomorrow

I will be presenting a tutorial on matplotlib a this year's pycon. If you are coming to the conference, are are already in the Chicago area, you may want to consider signing up for the tutorial http://us.pycon.org/2008/tutorials/ Tomorrow (Monday Feb 18th) is the deadline for registration. Here are some snippets from the proposal which covers the topic list and some additional info: = Intended audience = Tutorial attendees should be familiar with the basics of python and numpy. = Format description = The tutorial is a 20-30 minute overview of matplotlib capabilities, where the presenter will work interactively while explaining the main features and capabilities of matplotlib. After that, the rest of the tutorial will be interactive, hands on, exercises, that are will be a mix of "type-along" tutorial with students working through examples with help from the instructor. = Promotional summary = Matplotlib is a python 2D plotting library which produces publication quality figures in a variety of hardcopy formats and interactive environments across platforms. matplotlib can be used in python scripts, the python and ipython shell (ala matlab or mathematica), web application servers, and six graphical user interface toolkits. The tutorial will cover basic plotting from the python shell, and advanced topics like object oriented matplotlib, using matplotlib in a user interface or web application server and interactive event handling. = Tutorial outline = * 30 min: overview of capabilities and type along * 30 min: interactive graphics from the python shell * 30 min: object oriented matplotlib, web application servers and embedding matplotlib in GTK, Qt, Tk, FLTK or WX * 30 min: user interaction and event handling in matplotlib * 30 min: advanced topics * 30 min: question and answer = Presenter = The presenter is the original author and lea developer of matplotlib. After many years in academia, where he developed scientific python software for human intracortical epilepsy recording, he recently departed the confines of academia for the financial industry, where he continues to develop python based solutions for data ****ysis, modeling and visualization. = Previous presentations and tutorials = * SciPy 2004-6 : matplotlib presentations * PyCon 2005 : matplotlib presentation * SciPy 2006 : led tutorial on data ****sysis and visualization with Fernando Perez * ChiPy : matplotlib presentation to the Chicago Python User's Group * UIC : scientific computing in python tutorial at Univ of Illinois Chicago * Py4Science : with Fernando Perez, teach 2 day seminar on scientific computing in python. Sessions at Los Alamos, UC Berkeley, Univ of Michigan, Claremont Colleges Hope to see you there! Let me know if you have any questions or topic requests JDH
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Feb 18)

>>>>> "Gabriel Genellina" (GG) wrote: >GG> "Given this indispensable process and architecture issue, isn't it obvious >GG> that it's totally irrelevant to the system's overall safety whether the >GG> compiler has performed the further smattering of semantically puny >GG> 'verifications' allowed by mandatory-declaration, stating-typing >GG> languages" - Alex Martelli I couldn't find the original of this. I would like to see it in its context. Googling didn't reveal anything but this Python-URL. -- Piet van Oostrum URL: http://pietvanoostrum.com [PGP 8DAE142BE17999C4] Private email: piet@vanoostrum.org
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Oct 22)

Gabriel Genellina wrote: > "I actually do a lot of unit testing. I find it both annoying and highly > necessary and useful." - Steven Bethard > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....f60bdff72540cb That quote is actually due to Dan McLeran. A very good quote though. Steve
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Only one week left for PyCon proposals!

There is only one week left for PyCon tutorial & scheduled talk proposals. If you've been thinking about making a proposal, now's the time! Tutorial details and instructions here: http://us.pycon.org/2008/tutorials/proposals/ Scheduled talk details and instructions here: http://us.pycon.org/2008/conference/proposals/ The deadline is Friday, November 16. Don't put it off any longer! PyCon 2008: http://us.pycon.org -- David Goodger PyCon 2008 Chair -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (Darwin) Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org iD8DBQFHNSxarqIPjB1FxosRA3jCAJ92ns7uhdthR/Mo2NtNCYYlecRXyACffNrP Q9eUyWT4iqW3R4JbYc9Ab6w= =XcuL -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

APL2007 reminder: early (cheaper) registration ends Thursday 9/13

On-line registration is through the OOPSLA registrar http://www.regmaster.com/conf/oopsla2007.html APL 2007 home page http://www.sigapl.org/apl2007.html
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Re: [pyconuk] pyweek is happening august 02 - august 09

, On 04/08/07, Laura Creighton wrote: > 00:00 UTC 2007-09-02 to 00:00 UTC 2007-09-09 exactly. See > www.pyweek.org > > PyconUK is happening. http://www.pyconuk.org/ 8th and 9th September. > > This means that those of us who generally do not see each other but are > going to PyconUK could put together an entry and then sprint together > on it before PyCon UK. There would be this terrible torment -- do > I attend the con or get my game to work -- but it is still the > best chance some of us have to work together yet. > > Talk to me if you are interested in maybe making a PyconUK pygame > team. I think that this could be a lot of fun. Sign up on > www.pyweek.org if you think so, as well. But mail me. > > John -- assuming we want to meet up _before_ PyConUK -- can that > work Yes, we'd really like to see you at PyCon UK, and the games! We have sprint facilities available for two days before and two days after PyCon UK. They are at 95 Broad Street, about ten minutes walk from the Conference venue. There is a fat pipe internet connection. There are three rooms available, one has 10 high spec workstations which can be pre-installed with the o/s of your choice, for the other rooms you'd need your own laptops. There are places nearby to buy cheap food (a local supermarket and the usual fast food and sandwich shops). > Can you point us at a cheap hostel for a few days Looking at http://www.pyconuk.org/accommodation.html : The budget buys are the Etap (conference hotel) and Birmingham Backpackers, they are also furthest from the sprint location, say 25 and 30 minutes walk respectively (I haven't timed these). Basically, you can stay at either of these for less than 20 if you share. Also worth considering are the Comfort Zone serviced apartments, the ones in Townsend Street are about ten minutes walk from the sprint venue, less to the conference. The nearest hotel is the Novotel (where we're holding the conference dinner) at 70 Broad Street, 2 minutes from the sprint and 10 from the Conference. You should be able to get an online deal for about 69 for a double room. Just behind the Novotel is the Premier Travel Inn, slightly less at say 65 for a double. There are two Travel Inns in the area, sprinters would want the Birmingham Broad Street (Brindley Place) one. A good compromise between cost and convenience for the sprinters would be the Travelodge, just across the road from the sprint at 230 Broad Street, where you can get a family room (sleeps 3 adults plus one child, 4 adults at a push) for 66. One of the PyCon UK delegates has been finding cheap accommodation in the area, and I'll ask him to contact you directly, Laura. Best wishes, John --
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Re: [pygame] pyweek is happening august 02 - august 09

Laura Creighton wrote: > 00:00 UTC 2007-09-02 to 00:00 UTC 2007-09-09 exactly. See > www.pyweek.org > > PyconUK is happening. http://www.pyconuk.org/ 8th and 9th September. > > This means that those of us who generally do not see each other but are > going to PyconUK could put together an entry and then sprint together > on it before PyCon UK. There would be this terrible torment -- do > I attend the con or get my game to work -- but it is still the > best chance some of us have to work together yet. > > Talk to me if you are interested in maybe making a PyconUK pygame > team. I think that this could be a lot of fun. Sign up on > www.pyweek.org if you think so, as well. But mail me. > > John -- assuming we want to meet up _before_ PyConUK -- can that > work Can you point us at a cheap hostel for a few days > > Laura Creighton > Laura - Pyweek is happening the first week in September, not august.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Re: [pygame] pyweek is happening august 02 - august 09

In a message of Sat, 04 Aug 2007 14:25:29 CDT, Luke Paireepinart writes: >Laura Creighton wrote: >> 00:00 UTC 2007-09-02 to 00:00 UTC 2007-09-09 exactly. See >> www.pyweek.org >> >> PyconUK is happening. http://www.pyconuk.org/ 8th and 9th September. >> >> This means that those of us who generally do not see each other but are >> going to PyconUK could put together an entry and then sprint together >> on it before PyCon UK. There would be this terrible torment -- do >> I attend the con or get my game to work -- but it is still the >> best chance some of us have to work together yet. >> >> Talk to me if you are interested in maybe making a PyconUK pygame >> team. I think that this could be a lot of fun. Sign up on >> www.pyweek.org if you think so, as well. But mail me. >> >> John -- assuming we want to meet up _before_ PyConUK -- can that >> work Can you point us at a cheap hostel for a few days >> >> Laura Creighton >> >Laura - Pyweek is happening the first week in September, not august.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Jun 11)

Gabriel Genellina wrote: > QOTW: "That's the Martellibot for you. Never use a word where a paragraph > with explanatory footnotes will do. > > Sigh. I miss him on c.l.py." - Simon Brunning Funny -- didn't Simon write this in 2005 referring to an essay of mine that I had posted in 2002, Longest "week" on record, unless I'm missing something!-) Alex
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Reminder: call for proposals "Python Language and Libraries Track"for Europython 2006

Registration for Europython (3-5 July) at CERN in Geneva is now open, if you feel submitting a talk proposal there's still time until the 31th of May. If you want to talk about a library you developed, or you know well and want to share your knowledge, or about how you are making the best out of Python through inventive/elegant idioms and patterns (or if you are a language guru willing to disseminate your wisdom), you can submit a proposal for the Python Language and Libraries track """ A track about Python the Language, all batteries included. Talks about the language, language evolution, patterns and idioms, implementations (CPython, IronPython, Jython, PyPy ...) and implementation issues belong to the track. So do talks about the standard library or interesting 3rd-party libraries (and frameworks), unless the gravitational pull of other tracks is stronger. """ The full call and submission links are at: http://www.europython.org/sections/t...-for-proposals Samuele Pedroni, Python Language and Libraries Track Chair
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

PyCon reminder: register now!

Remember, Monday January 15th is the last day for early-bird registration for PyCon 2007 (February 23-25, in Addison Texas). For registration, go to . If you're interested in the tutorials you should register as soon as possible. One tutorial is nearing its maximum size; when that limit is reached, registration for that tutorial will be closed. Hurry!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

ANN: OSCON 2006 (Python 14 Conference) Proposals due Feb. 13th

OSCON 2006: Opening Innovation http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2006/ Save the date for the 8th annual O'Reilly Open Source Convention, happening July 24-28, 2006 at the Oregon Convention Center in beautiful Portland, Oregon. Call For Participation ---------------------- Submit a proposal-fill out the form at: http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs...create/e_sess/ Important Dates: * Proposals Due: Midnight (PST) February 13, 2006 * Speaker Notification: March 27, 2006 * Tutorial Presentation Files Due: June 12, 2006 * Session Presentation Files Due: June 26, 2006 * Conference: July 24-28, 2006 Proposals --------- We are considering proposals for 45 minute sessions and 3 hour tutorials. We rarely accept 90 minute proposals, as most general sessions are 45 minutes in length. Your proposals are examined by a committee which draws from them and which also solicits proposals to build the program. Proposals are due by midnight (PST), Feb. 13, 2006. The OSCON Speaker Manager, Vee McMillen, emails notification of the status of your talk (accepted or otherwise) by March 27, 2006. Unless the content of your talk is particularly timely (e.g., features of a product that will be launched at OSCON), you are required to send us your slides several weeks before the conference begins. Submit proposals via the form below. Some tips for writing a good proposal for a good talk: * Keep it free of marketing: talk about open source software, but not about a commercial product--the audience should be able to use and improve the things you talk about without paying money * Keep the audience in mind: they're technical, professional, and already pretty smart. * Clearly identify the level of the talk: is it for beginners to the topic, or for gurus What knowledge should people have when they come to the talk * Give it a simple and straightforward title: fancy and clever titles make it harder for people (committee and attendees) to figure out what you're really talking about * Limit the scope of the talk: in 45 minutes, you won't be able to cover Everything about Widget Framework X. Instead, pick a useful aspect, or a particular technique, or walk through a simple program. * Pages of code are unreadable: mere mortals can deal with code a line at a time. Sometimes three lines at a time. A page of code can't be read when it's projected, and can't be comprehended by the audience. * Explain why people will want to attend: is the framework gaining traction Is the app critical to modern systems Will they learn how to deploy it, program it, or just what it is * Let us know in your proposal notes whether you can give all the talks you submitted proposals for * Explain what you will cover in the talk NOTE: presenters whose talks are accepted (excluding Lightning Talks) will receive free registration at the conference. For each half-day tutorial, the presenter receives one night's accommodation, a limited travel allowance, and an honorarium. We give tutors and speakers registration to the convention (including tutorials), and tutors are eligible for a travel allowance: up to US$300 from the west coast of the USA, up to US$500 from the east coast of the USA, up to US$800 from outside the USA. Registration opens April, 2006. If you would like to be notified by email when registration opens, please use the form on our main page. CONFERENCE INFO =============== The O'Reilly Open Source Convention is where coders, sysadmins, entrepreneurs, and business people working in free and open source software gather to share ideas, discover code, and find solutions. At OSCON 2005, more than 2,400 attendees took part in 241 sessions and tutorials across eleven technology tracks, learning about the newest features and versions from creators and experts. A record number of products launches and announcements were made, and sponsors and exhibitors from a wide range of companies filled the largest exhibit hall in OSCON's history. We anticipate that OSCON 2006 will be even more successful, and continue to be the place for the open source community to meet up, debate, make deals, and connect face to face. OSCON 2006 will take place at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland, Oregon July 24-28, 2006. OSCON 2006 will feature the projects, technologies, and skills that you need to write and deploy killer modern apps. We're looking for proposals on platforms and applications around: * Multimedia including voice (VoIP) and video * AI including spam-busting, classification, clustering, and data mining * Collaboration including email, calendars, RSS, OPML, mashups, IM, presence, and session initialization * Project best practices including governance, starting a project, and managing communities * Microsoft Windows-based open source projects including .NET, Mono, and regular C/C++/Visual Basic Windows apps * Enterprise Java techniques including integration, testing, and scalable deployment solutions * Linux kernel skills for sysadmins including virtualization, tuning, and device drivers * Device hacking including iPods, Nintendo, PSP, XBox 360, and beyond * Design including CSS, GUI, and user experience (XP) * Entrepreneurial topics including management for techies, how to go into business for yourself, and business models that work * Security including hardening, hacking, root kits (Sony and otherwise), and intrusion detection/cleanup * Fun subjects with no immediate commercial application including retro computing, games, and BitTorrent Tracks at OSCON will include: * Desktop Apps * Databases, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Ingres, and others * Emerging Topics * Java * Linux Kernel for SysAdmins * Linux for Programmers * Perl, celebrating the 10th year of The Perl Conference! * PHP * Programming, including everything that's not specific to a particular language * Python * Security * Ruby, including Ruby on Rails * Web Apps, including Apache * Windows
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

PyWeek Challenge #2: write a game in a week

The date for the second PyWeek challenge has been set: Sunday 26th March to Sunday 2nd April (00:00UTC to 00:00UTC). The PyWeek challenge invites entrants to write a game in one week from scratch either as an individual or in a team. Entries must be developed in Python, during the challenge, and must incorporate some theme chosen at the start of the challenge. REGISTRATION IS NOT YET OPEN -- In order to reduce the number of unnecessary registrations, we will open the challenge for registration one month before the start date. See the competition timetable and rules at: http://www.pyweek.org/ PLANNING FOR THE CHALLENGE -- Make sure you have working versions of the libraries you're going to use. The rules page has a list of libraries and other resources. Make sure you can build packages to submit as your final submission (if you're going to use py2exe, make sure you know how to use it and that it works). If you don't have access to Linux, Windows or a Mac to test on, contact family or other competitors to find someone who is able to test for you.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!