im a newbie help!

You can do almost anything you'd like with Python except programs that rellly heavily on GUIs such as 3d games and photo eiditing software. But, you can do just about anything you can think of.
Posted On: Friday 28th of December 2012 05:28:14 AM Total Views:  190
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Python Programming PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Error messages when using the Console Module

I am developing code using the effbot Console module, which gives control over the Windows terminal settings. My problem is that while this module redirects standard output to a new console window, it seems to redirect standard error messages to ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 25th November 2012
View Replies!

Truncated postings

, Over the past 24 hours or so, all of my Python-List e-mails have been truncated to subject list only. No posts. Are others experiencing this problem Or is it just on my end
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

ANN: Leo 4.4.6 final released

Leo 4.4.6 final is available at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=29106 Leo 4.4.6 fixes several recently reported bugs, all minor. Leo is a text editor, data organizer, project manager and much more. See: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/intro.html The highlights of Leo 4.4.6: ---------------------------- - Fixes all known ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Email module, how to add header to the top of an email?

I have been using the Email module and Message class for awhile, however I have been unable to find a way to add a header to the top of the email similar to what is done with Received: headers... the ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

time.gmtime

we know that time.gmtime(secs) takes a parameter secs. what does this secs suggest \tWhat is it's significance \t...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Bit Scan Forward and Reverse

I'm writing an app in python, and I'm storing some a lot of data in bitmaps. I need a way to find the first or latest set bit in a 64bit number, and for that I've implemented a small ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: -fno-strict-aliasing turned off when cross compiling

> Does anyone have an idea why -fno-strict-aliasing is turned off when > cross compiling Because detection of -fno-strict-aliasing is made through running the compiler output (AC_TRY_RUN, see configure.in instead). For cross-compilation, running the program isn't actually possible, so a ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

*** AMERICAN BASTARDS DESERVE TO BE RAPED ***

The yank bastards deserved to be raped for their crimes against the world. What goes around comes around. Herbert Walker Bush was alleged to be a pedophile. MOSHE KATSA raped numerous JEW and ISRAELI WOMEN. DICK FACE CHENEY's daughter is ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Converting a bidimensional list in a bidimensional array

Hi First of all, I must apologize for my poor english I'm starting with python and pygame and for testing (and learning) purposes I wrote an small "Map Editor" for a small game project I'm going to start next month. ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

SQLObject 0.9.3

! I'm pleased to announce the 0.9.3 release of SQLObject. What is SQLObject ================= SQLObject is an object-relational mapper. Your database tables are described as classes, and rows are instances of those classes. SQLObject is meant to be easy to ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Any interest in an SQS alternative???

I'm a big fan of Amazon's SQS web services. However, I think their SQS is simply too expensive. I was doing some tests in python using SQS and created 1,513 messages in just a few minutes. Then I looked at ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 26th November 2012
View Replies!

Blasting new year

Wishes for the new year http://newyearcards2008.com/...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Finite State Machine GUI editor in python?

I have spent some time googling and on wiki and came up with pyFSA in python. It may end up being useful, but it is not directly what I am looking for, as there is no GUI that I can ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

an Invitation to be Involved in a Survey on Developing ScientificComputing Software

If you are involved in the development of scientific computing software, you are invited to participate in a survey on developing this kind of software. If you have already received this request, I apologize for the cross-posting, but I am ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: Monitoring the output of an external program

On 12/13/07, Caleb Marcus wrote: > > I'm writing something that has to invoke an external program, and every > time the external program prints something, update a UI. How would I go > about doing this > Use ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Add speller to Python application

I need to add spell checking to my Python application (for Windows). Any ideas on where to start
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: Zipf test in Python

When you start a new topic, you should start a *new* thread/post/message (depending on your news client) rather than responding to an existing thread. This will not be seen by anyone with a modern newsreader that collapses threads to one ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

>>>>>>>>>> Make BILLIONS Online Without Investment

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Interested in Building Online Business Empire Without Investing Single Dollar!! Explore The Best Online Income Opportunity On The Internet Today - Absolutely FREE! For More Details Check the Links Below: http://accessmoneyonline.blogspot.com/ P.S - The Key To Making Money Online ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

simple question on persisting variable values in a list

I am an unabashed noob. I am trying to build a list to store values that are generated through a loop. However, every time I append the variable to the list, I'd like to reset the variable, but have ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Distributed RVS, Darcs, tech love

When i first heard about distributed revision control system about 2 years ago, i heard of Darcs, which is written in Haskell. I was hugely excited, thinking about the functional programing i love, and the no- side effect pure system ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

RE: How to evaluate the code object returned byPyParser_SimplePa rseString function?

Thanks this is helpful. -----Original Message----- From: Gabriel Genellina [mailto:gagsl-py2@yahoo.com.ar] Sent: 15 November 2007 12:26 To: python-list@python.org Subject: Re: How to evaluate the code object returned by PyParser_SimplePa rseString function En Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:20:14 -0300, Borse, Ganesh ..
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

re: mpmath puzzle

Dick Moores wrote: > For 1234 ** 10.9, why the wrong result from mpmath.power() > > ======================================== > #!/usr/bin/env python > #coding=utf-8 > from mpmath import * > > mpf.dps = 32 > > x = mpf(1234) > y = ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Google's tolerance of spam

On 13 Nov, 23:03, Ben Finney wrote: > > Their messages are an abuse of Google Groups's terms of service, and > Google will likely act on complaints that include a *full* copy of the > offending message. Unless ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Bitmap editor and File-saving

In my Python program (using Tkinter), I would like to have a window where the user will be able to draw a simple picture. I don't know where to begin.. can somehow give me a general idea how to do ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Only one week left for PyCon proposals!

There is only one week left for PyCon tutorial & scheduled talk proposals. If you've been thinking about making a proposal, now's the time! Tutorial details and instructions here: http://us.pycon.org/2008/tutorials/proposals/ Scheduled talk details and instructions here: http://us.pycon.org/2008/conference/proposals/ The deadline is ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

help

i am working o my first real program, a strategy game when i ran a part of it and it said invalid syn tak and hilighted the colon on line 15 hers the code (Toggle Plain Text) import random,pickle,easygui level=1 money=1000 lives=10 class War: def __init__(self,numsol,tysol,posol,strengh,risk): self.numsol=numsol self.tysol=tysol self.level=level self.money=money self.lives=lives self.posol=posol self.strengh=strengh self.risk=risk def Save: pickle.dump(War,open("savedata.p","wb")) easygui.msgbox("your data has been saved") def Load: class War=pickle.load(open("savedata.p","rb")) easygui.msgbox("game has been loaded level: %l money: %m lives: %d" %l level %m money %d lives) import random,pickle,easygui level=1 money=1000 lives=10 class War: def __init__(self,numsol,tysol,posol,strengh,risk): self.numsol=numsol self.tysol=tysol self.level=level self.money=money self.lives=lives self.posol=posol self.strengh=strengh self.risk=risk def Save: pickle.dump(War,open("savedata.p","wb")) easygui.msgbox("your data has been saved") def Load: class War=pickle.load(open("savedata.p","rb")) easygui.msgbox("game has been loaded level: %l money: %m lives: %d" %l level %m money %d lives)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 27th November 2012
View Replies!

how to draw a centered triangle?

all. I need some homework help. I have been task to draw a triangle using user inputed row values and fill values. I can draw the triangle, however I am stuck on how to center the triangle. It is always left justified. here is the code I have come up with so far.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Python Programming 3.2.2 Homework Help

! I'm currently taking CSC 111, and I have a 3-part problem that I'm having some trouble with. The problem is as follows: Problem #3a Create a program that uses the same list as in Problem #1 and that outputs the names in this fashion (names on left hand side of box): (Toggle Plain Text) |Sleepy | |Sneezy | |Bashful | |Happy | |Grumpy | |Dopey | |Doc | +------------------+ |Sleepy | |Sneezy | |Bashful | |Happy | |Grumpy | |Dopey | |Doc | +------------------+
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

HELP me with using the Nested For LOOP to generate a combination sequence

Just a brief description of my question The exercise is to define and test a program, full-names that will help parents avoid such unintended clashes by listing, in full, every possible first-name/surname and first-name/middle-name/surname combination that can be formed from the names that the parents are actively considering. For instance, let's suppose that the Doyles' list of possible first names included Emily, Lindsey, Carrie, and Sarah, and the possible middle names are Anne, Lynn, and Lucy. Your program should read from the user: 1 surname, 3 middle names and 4 first names. It should then print the combination of names as follows: "Emily Doyle" "Lindsey Doyle" "Carrie Doyle" "Sarah Doyle" "Emily Anne Doyle" "Emily Lynn Doyle" "Emily Lucy Doyle" So far, I have written the code but everytime i try to run my code, I have an Error. Please what am I doing wrong. I have attached a copy of my code below. I also included comments Python Syntax (Toggle Plain Text) mid = {}last = {}first = {}def main():# I created a string arraysfor i in range(3): first[1]=raw_input("Please Type the next First name:")for i in range(4): mid[i]=raw_input("Please Type the next middle name:")for i in range(1): last[i]=raw_input("Please Type the next last name:")# I am trying to use nested loops to generate the combination sequence. This is were I have the major pronblemfor i in first[1] :for i in mid[1] :for i in last[1] :main() mid = {} last = {} first = {} def main(): # I created a string arrays for i in range(3): first[1]=raw_input("Please Type the next First name:") for i in range(4): mid[i]=raw_input("Please Type the next middle name:") for i in range(1): last[i]=raw_input("Please Type the next last name:") # I am trying to use nested loops to generate the combination sequence. This is were I have the major pronblem for i in first[1] : for i in mid[1] : for i in last[1] : main()
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Code not working

This is a code sample that i got from the web,the code is supposed to show some animation(basically a stripchart). But when i run it shows only a plain plotting widget,any help would be appreciated. (Toggle Plain Text) # -*- coding: utf-8 -*- import gobject import matplotlib matplotlib.use('TKAgg') import numpy as np from matplotlib.lines import Line2D class Scope: def __init__(self, ax, maxt=10, dt=0.01): self.ax = ax self.canvas = ax.figure.canvas self.dt = dt self.maxt = maxt self.tdata = [0] self.ydata = [0] self.line = Line2D(self.tdata, self.ydata, animated=True) self.ax.add_line(self.line) self.background = None self.canvas.mpl_connect('draw_event', self.update_background) self.ax.set_ylim(-.1, 1.1) self.ax.set_xlim(0, self.maxt) def update_background(self, event): self.background = self.canvas.copy_from_bbox(self.ax.bbox) def emitter(self, p=0.01): 'return a random value with probability p, else 0' v = np.random.rand(1) if v>p: return 0. else: return np.random.rand(1) def update(self, *args): if self.background is None: return True y = self.emitter() lastt = self.tdata[-1] if lastt>self.tdata[0]+self.maxt: # reset the arrays self.tdata = [self.tdata[-1]] self.ydata = [self.ydata[-1]] self.ax.set_xlim(self.tdata[0], self.tdata[0]+self.maxt) self.ax.figure.canvas.draw() self.canvas.restore_region(self.background) t = self.tdata[-1] + self.dt self.tdata.append(t) self.ydata.append(y) self.line.set_data(self.tdata, self.ydata) self.ax.draw_artist(self.line) self.canvas.blit(self.ax.bbox) return True from pylab import figure, show fig = figure() ax = fig.add_subplot(111) scope = Scope(ax) gobject.idle_add(scope.update) show() # -*- coding: utf-8 -*- import gobject import matplotlib matplotlib.use('TKAgg') import numpy as np from matplotlib.lines import Line2D class Scope: def __init__(self, ax, maxt=10, dt=0.01): self.ax = ax self.canvas = ax.figure.canvas self.dt = dt self.maxt = maxt self.tdata = [0] self.ydata = [0] self.line = Line2D(self.tdata, self.ydata, animated=True) self.ax.add_line(self.line) self.background = None self.canvas.mpl_connect('draw_event', self.update_background) self.ax.set_ylim(-.1, 1.1) self.ax.set_xlim(0, self.maxt) def update_background(self, event): self.background = self.canvas.copy_from_bbox(self.ax.bbox) def emitter(self, p=0.01): 'return a random value with probability p, else 0' v = np.random.rand(1) if v>p: return 0. else: return np.random.rand(1) def update(self, *args): if self.background is None: return True y = self.emitter() lastt = self.tdata[-1] if lastt>self.tdata[0]+self.maxt: # reset the arrays self.tdata = [self.tdata[-1]] self.ydata = [self.ydata[-1]] self.ax.set_xlim(self.tdata[0], self.tdata[0]+self.maxt) self.ax.figure.canvas.draw() self.canvas.restore_region(self.background) t = self.tdata[-1] + self.dt self.tdata.append(t) self.ydata.append(y) self.line.set_data(self.tdata, self.ydata) self.ax.draw_artist(self.line) self.canvas.blit(self.ax.bbox) return True from pylab import figure, show fig = figure() ax = fig.add_subplot(111) scope = Scope(ax) gobject.idle_add(scope.update) show()
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Using the IF statement

I can get it to work is i remove else everything else works i had to make changes to the code for it to work. but I'm still getting problems if i include the ELSE statement. Ghost Programmer XD , Nah not working. for some reason it just doesn't like else XD haha to me looks right just my python 3 hates me apparently XD Ghost , haha hmm alrigty then it just doesn't seem to like me XD will try one more thing out. Ghost Programmer XD
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Web Link Checker (Spider Crawler Program)

I developed my own spider crawler program to spider my website and checks if there are any broken links but it is not very powerful. I did a research and found many available programs out there, which are written in PHP, C, Python and lot more, but the problem is that I am looking for a program that POST Data forms by submit then spider the rest of the website, as I have a Login Page at the start, which is required.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Function won't exit on return!

Quote: Originally Posted by nytrokiss sure i want it to download a webpage grab all the product url's on a page if there is a second page i want it to go to the second page and grab them there also and then return a list of url's and my issue is that it won't return when i want it to! I'd advise trying Beautiful Soup for this sort of thing. It's a HTML parser library, and available as a single .py file. For instance, if you want to print a list of all links (the href and the text of the link) on the page: python Syntax (Toggle Plain Text) html = urlopen(some_url)soup = BeautifulSoup(html)links = soup.fetch('a')for link in links: if "href" in link.attrMap: print link['href'], ":", link.string html = urlopen(some_url) soup = BeautifulSoup(html) links = soup.fetch('a') for link in links: if "href" in link.attrMap: print link['href'], ":", link.string
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Mystery (to me) Function

I picked this function up on the net. It is described as an accumulator generator, but I cannot figure out what it can be used for. Any help (Toggle Plain Text) def make_acc(start=0): """accumulator generator """ curr = [start] def acc(inc): curr[0] += inc return curr[0] return acc def make_acc(start=0): """accumulator generator """ curr = [start] def acc(inc): curr[0] += inc return curr[0] return acc
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Internet connection

Alright,
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

creating combinations of words

I would like to create 20^3 (=20x20x20) power of the list below which contains 20 words list - A,R,N,D,C,Q,E,G,H,I,L,K,M,F,P,S,T,W,Y,V. An example of the output is ARN ARD ARC ... I would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on this,
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 28th November 2012
View Replies!

Can someone give me an up to date link..

To the download of the newest drpython
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

boo

I was browsing on Wikipedia when I stumbled across boo. I just wondered if anyone else has tried it/what their thoughts on it are, because it seems like the IronPython project has died.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Parsing - How To?

@sixstringartist: I assumed this was just a learning exercise. Otherwise, you're right that there's probably no need to dive this deep.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 28th December 2012
View Replies!

Python; though art a Delicious Torment

Programming forums. i am as you may soon discover very new here, i have been interested in programming for a while and after some research chose to begin in python as it is a fairly straight forward language and i can understand it to an extent. now here is my dilema; i have read several tutorials, learned loops functions and what not ( i am aware i am not very advanced at all) but it is all well and good learning from a tutorial that says how write a calculator, but what good is that doing me when i want to learn by innovation. i accept i need to know the basics so i am asking the community to set me a few challenges. just some problems and proggrames that you think i can learn to create in a few days and that i dont have to follow a literal recipe to make the programme. so i ask you all please to give me a few challenges, i will give you an example as to what i mean to make myself clear. Scenario: the sum of x prime numbers is
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

How can we select a record from search results

Here I am giving one example, 1 to 10 steps, here I want to Click 9th record, any one help me on this.. I need the python code to click the 9th record...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Coding this function

Quote: Originally Posted by public2 We're learning Python AND Java, and the integration between them, but in this first semester, we just learned Python. Baby steps :-) That sounds like an interesting approach to computer programming. Are you also going to use Jython Let us know how you are doing!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Beginner programming tasks

I was trying to do mrynit's bob, bill and joe thingie, but it doesn't append the last elif person (Toggle Plain Text) bob=['hammer', 'saw'] joe=['saw', 'drill', 'leveler'] bill=['hammer', 'leveler'] =[bob, joe, bill] countOverall=len(bob)+len(joe)+len(bill) String=' '.join(bob+joe+bill) def toolcount(tool): count=0 finding=String.find(tool) while finding!=-1: count+=1 start=finding+1 finding=String.find(tool, start) return count def whoowns(tool): owners=[] if ' '.join(bob).find(tool)!=-1: owners.append('bob') elif ' '.join(bill).find(tool)!=-1: owners.append('bill') elif ' '.join(joe).find(tool)!=-1: owners.append('joe') print owners whoowns('leveler') bob=['hammer', 'saw'] joe=['saw', 'drill', 'leveler'] bill=['hammer', 'leveler'] =[bob, joe, bill] countOverall=len(bob)+len(joe)+len(bill) String=' '.join(bob+joe+bill) def toolcount(tool): count=0 finding=String.find(tool) while finding!=-1: count+=1 start=finding+1 finding=String.find(tool, start) return count def whoowns(tool): owners=[] if ' '.join(bob).find(tool)!=-1: owners.append('bob') elif ' '.join(bill).find(tool)!=-1: owners.append('bill') elif ' '.join(joe).find(tool)!=-1: owners.append('joe') print owners whoowns('leveler')
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

I save code as .py but it opens in gedit?

I've seen .py code that opens as a program, but when I save my code as a .py extension it still opens up in gedit. I can't get the code to launch/execute on its own. It still has the .py extension after saving it to my python file, but always opens as a text. I've been looking all over the net trying to find out that answer and haven't had any luck. Does anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

beginner teething problems!

Hi all, I've just began my journey into python (& programming) and i must say it's very satisfying to learn. However! I've hit a few snags. I am using python 3.1 on vista. i cannot seem to give the print command and tell it what to print on the same line, contrary to how the method is portrayed in tutorials and other samples. An example of what is 'incorrect syntax' in my shell and CP is this: >>> print 1+1 incorrect syntax what i have to do (valid syntax) is as follows >>> print ... 1+1 2 is this normal it seems odd that i have to do give the content on the next line. Is it perhaps the result a particular shell mode I thought that maybe the tutorials all by default were meant to be followed on a linux system perhaps. If so i'd be happy to learn on an archlinux or ubuntu partition. I would really appreciate your thoughts and advice on this,
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

A Complicated One...

import re X=input('Input the DNA base pairs:') Y= 'CG[GA]' l=len(Y) y=2 b=0 H=0 result=re.search(Y, X) while(result.group(0)==Y): G=X.find(Y) X=X[(l+G):] H=H+G+l*b print('A match was found at position', H) b=1 result=re.search(Y, X) y=0 if y==2: print('Sorry, it cannot be found in this string.') #Thats my program. It is a simple regular expression search that allows one to look for certain sequences in DNA. I come into trouble with the whole "while" thing. The problem is that because I want to give it option to match either C or G seen in [CG], the result.group(0) does not equal Y. How can I fix this so that I can enter a string of DNA and have the program say at what positions the pairs are
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

I'd like some help interpreting this binary file.

Wow you're good! :p That bmp would be the loading art associated with the beginning of the note chart. I'll have to check out those programs. This should help A LOT. Any idea how those programs work
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Basic->Python

I did a lot of programing in basic on a graphing calculator, got pretty good, and have now moved on to the computer languages where I am virtually incompetant. For now, I have three questions: 1. How do I get pictures on a screen Like, lets say I want to move a stick figure from one point to another point. How do I display the stick figure 2. How do I get input from a person Not input like input(), but input like seeing if you have clicked your mouse and where you have clicked it. 3. How do people get well versed in python Do you have a manual, or do you pick it up after a while of programming
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Symbolic Constants or Symbolic names in python

I want to know how symbolic constants can be used in python. I have been writing programs for past one month and now programs are getting longer and requiring frequent and variable updates. So, can anyone suggest how is this done in python. Is there nothing like the one in C (Toggle Plain Text) #define text replacement_text #define text replacement_text
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Python Limitations

Can' thank you , enough . I'm going to finish chapter five of the http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/index.htm tutorial today, and I'm finding things quite interesting. I'm picking most things up, but am having some major difficulties with creating my own functions . Aside from that, and some of the more complex mathmatical functions (like sin), which I can't ever see myself needing to know anyway ... I'm grasping things. Once again ... thanks .
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!