I'd like some help interpreting this binary file.

Wow you're good! :p

That bmp would be the loading art associated with the beginning of the note chart. I'll have to check out those programs. This should help A LOT.

Any idea how those programs work

Posted On: Friday 28th of December 2012 05:24:48 AM Total Views:  198
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Python Programming PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

class super method

is there any tutorial for super method (when/how to use it) or maybe someone could explain me how it works thx...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 25th November 2012
View Replies!

PyGTK localisation on Win32

I've built an app on linux which we have managed to localise into at least three languages, the app runs well using this command LANG=fr_FR python app.py which would translate the app into french. We've tried the replicate the same ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: Why does python behave so? (removing list items)

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 23:04 +0100, Micha\t Bentkowski wrote: > Why does python create a reference here, not just copy the variable Python, like most other oo languages, will always make references for =, unless you work on native types ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Toronto Area Python User's Group Meeting

Our regular PyGTA meeting will be occurring for those not at the PyCon sprints. We'll meet at the regular time (7pm) at the regular place (Linux Caffe, on the corner of Grace and Harbord). Topic: Using Core Image (GL-based Mac ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: simpleparse - what is wrong with my grammar?

Laszlo Nagy wrote: > The program below gives me "segmentation fault (core dumped)". > > Environment: > Linux gandalf-desktop 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Tue Feb 12 05:41:34 > UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux > Python 2.5.1 > > What is wrong with ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

finding memory leak in edgewall trac 0.11

what would be a good means of finding where the 0.11 version of edgewall trac uses excessive memory. see http://groups.google.com/group/trac-...16e519da54f16b for some details, where jonas suggested http://wingolog.org/archives/2007/11...n-applications as reading. tiran already gave some hints on http://bugs.python.org/issue1871 , but also suggested ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Announcing the Python core sprint at PyCon 2008

As has occurred since the inception of PyCon, there will be a sprint on the Python core at this year's conference! If you will be attending PyCon (or will be in Chicago during the dates of the sprints), attending the ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: paging in python shell

That seems interesting but it's not quite what I want to do. To take an example I would like to be able to do something similar to the mysql shell when its pager is set to less. Displayhook is called ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: where do my python files go in linux?

On Jan 12, 2008 10:13 AM, Jorgen Bodde wrote: > I thought about that too. I just wonder why /usr/local/bin is always > empty and every .deb I install from a source (if it's from Ubuntu or > not) ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: Problem with Tkinter.PhotoImage

Cdric Lucantis wrote: > I can only load gif images with Tkinter.PhotoImage and none with BitmapImage. > I tried png, jpg, bmp and xpm and always got this errors : > >>>> img = Tkinter.PhotoImage(file='/home/omer/fgfs/fgsync/map.xpm') > Traceback (most recent call ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

SQLObject 0.7.10

! I'm pleased to announce the 0.7.10 release of SQLObject. What is SQLObject ================= SQLObject is an object-relational mapper. Your database tables are described as classes, and rows are instances of those classes. SQLObject is meant to be easy to ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

PIL question

, Would anyone know how to generate thumbnails with rounded corners using PIL I'm also considering imagemagick if PIL turns out not to be appropriate for the task. Thank you so much, Alex...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 26th November 2012
View Replies!

Memory Leaks and Heapy

Hi list, Firstly, this is my first post here, so I hope I'm not breaking some unwritten etiquette rule about asking questions involving several different libraries. I'm trying to plug some memory leaks in a TurboGears program. We (the Fedora ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Problem with parsing email message with extraneous MIME information

I am working on processing eml email message using the email module (python 2.5), on files exported from an Outlook PST file, to extract the composite parts of the email. In most instances this works fine, the message is read ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

list in a tuple

Recently, I got into a debate on programming.reddit.com about what should happen in the following case: >>> a = ([1], 2) >>> a[0] += [3] Currently, Python raises an error *and* changes the first element of the tuple. Now, this ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Releasing malloc'd memory using ctypes?

I am starting to experiment with ctypes. I have a function which returns a pointer to a struct allocated in heap memory. There is a corresponding free function for that sort of struct, e.g.: from ctypes import * cdll.LoadLibrary("libthing.so") c_thing ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

A way of checking if a string contains a number

I'm new to python, but I have used a fair bit of C and Perl I found Perls regex's to be very easy to use however I don't find Pythons regexes as good. I am trying to do ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Pickling dictionaries containing dictionaries: failing,recursion-style!

I'm having great fun playing with Markov chains. I am making a dictionary of all the words in a given string, getting a count of how many appearances word1 makes in the string, getting a list of all the word2s ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

ANN: IPython 0.8.2 released!

Hi all, The IPython team is happy to release version 0.8.2, with lots of new enhancements (especially for system shell use - it has never been a better time for switching to "pysh" or "ipython -p sh" as your system ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: Monkey patching new style classes

"David Coffin" wrote in message news:95d1d5660711290359s40274b40tb84415cc006c0001@mail.gmail.com... | Is it possible to add an attribute to a new style class where the name of | that attribute is determined at runtime >>> class C(object): pass >>> setattr(C,'a',1) >>> C.a 1 ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: may be a bug in string.rstrip

On 11/23/07, kyo guan (kyoguan@gmail.com) wrote: > Please look at this code: > >>>> 'exe.torrent'.rstrip('.torrent') >'ex' <----- it should be 'exe', why > >but this is a right answer: > >>>> '120.exe'.rstrip('.exe') >'120' <------ this is a right value. > ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Using python as primary language

In our company we are looking for one language to be used as default language. So far Python looks like a good choice (slacking behind Java). A few requirements that the language should be able cope with are: * Database ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

looking for help with my python code

Basically this is a final project for my programming class. What I am having trouble with is the totalBudget variable. I had to initially set it to 4000 per instructions given. The user is supposed to adjust this via a menu option and go back to the main menu for possible other selections. The program works, except after the user adjusts the totalBudget and goes back to the main menu, totalBudget is reset to the initial 4000. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. Python Syntax (Toggle Plain Text) def main(): choice = 0 totalBudget = 4000.00\t while choice != 5: print print 'Menu Selections:' print print '1 - Add an Expense' print '2 - Remove an Expense' print '3 - Add Revenue' print '4 - Remove Revenue' print '5 - Exit' print choice = input('Enter your selection: ') if choice == 1: addExpense(totalBudget) elif choice == 2: removeExpense(totalBudget) elif choice == 3: addRevenue(totalBudget) elif choice == 4: removeRevenue(totalBudget) elif choice == 5: print 'Goodbye!' else: print print 'Invalid input - please try again.' print#This function adds an expensedef addExpense(totalBudget): newExpense = input('Enter the amount of the expense: ') expenseFrequency = input('Enter how many times the expense was applied in the month: ') totalExpense = newExpense * expenseFrequency if totalExpense
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 27th November 2012
View Replies!

My pyguessinggame

Could someone look this over (Toggle Plain Text) #import whrandom def start(): answer=randint(1,101) #the answer guessnum=0 #number of user guesses guess=raw_imput ('guess my number, it is between 1 and 100') #user's guess while guess!= answer: guessnum=guessnum+1 if(guess = 101): print'no the answer is below 101' elif (guess > answer): print 'Too high' elif (guess answer): print 'Too high' elif (guess
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

If you want to learn Python or improve your Python skills

I have recently been reading "Dive into Python" written by Mark Pilgrim. I haven't read it all but it is excellent and very well written. And I'd recommend it to those who want to learn Python or improve their Python skills. I was told abotu it quite some time ago, but i never thought twice about it, but now i've read it i realise i was missing out. The book can be bought here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...books&v=glance Or read online for free here: http://diveintopython.org/toc/index.html Its availible for free online because its under the GNU Free Documentation License. I think it does start quite steeply, so it could be hard on those wanting to learn Python as their first language. But for programmers it is very informative and well written. Each chapter/section starts with a block of code which hasn't been explained, then throughout the chapter each part is explained, which i find quite useful. Well thats just my opinion. I basically posted this just to make some people aware of it. Have fun with it. -ColdDeath
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

I need to test the compatability of my RPG.

If anyone is interested, and doesn't mind downloading 60 megs, PM me. It's just a small bit of the RPG, with missing character graphics. lol I need to test how compatable it is, and if it runs smoothly enough (before I get too far and find out I need to change how I'm doing things). I've fixed the problem of needing to rapidly press the arrow keys, but it's not in the updated zip.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Numeric module

I am trying to run a Python sample that contains the line from Numeric import * The error basically tells me to get the module called Numeric. Can somebody please tell me where to download it from. I am using Python24.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Text Tokenizer

Ok How can I tell python that you have a text file. In this file, start from the beginning of the first line. Then, if you finy ant " " empty char., count one ane increment the counter whenever you find that empty char. and do the same process for the other line until we get the total number of tokens in the file. Also, whenever you find any of(".", "","!" ... etc) count the number of tokens of precede it, which is of course the length of that sentence. --black_dream
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Python Programming Challenge

I need someone to give me a small program not too difficult for beginners. Like give me a problem or something that relates to if, elif, else, return statements. Some for and while loops. Maybe some data structures. The basics. I am going to need some practice for a big test I am going to take. So if anyone has any, please give me some problems to program for beginners.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 28th November 2012
View Replies!

Tips on Mastering.

I'm a novice who wants to dedicate his life to the study of networks, computer systems, and for starters the python programming language amung others. If there are any tips you could give someone of my proficiency level in terms of mastering these subjects it would be much appreciated.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Python IDE whaaa!?!?

Quote: Originally Posted by Dietrich ActiveState pushes the Komodo IDE, but you have to download it separately: http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/downloads Python syntax might be easy to learn, but to write programs past the Kindergarten level, you have to study hard. Of course, you could be a real Klingon programmer and program with binary toggle switches on the front panel of your computer! nah, im not going to pay for an ide thx.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Please Help Me

Good Evening , I'm doing a small application using python and MySQLdb. I want to check the special characters with ASCII values with the given characters in the text box. string1 = user name. string2 = password. if(string1.rindex!="char(32)" and string2.rindex!="char(32)") message("You Have Enbtered Special Characters.") else check the values from the database and process will follow.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

hi! suggestions plz

first and foremost, hi! I had a program a long time ago that used to track snippits of websites, just text, and display them, almost like an rss reader would, but you didn't need an rss, you just fed it 2 bits of the source code and it would grab whatever was between them. I miss this program greatly, can't find anything like it so I though what the hey, I'll see if I can make one. I've done programming on an off through the years, I took a couple VB classes, I've coded java, tcl/tk, a little php, and I did a lot of coding in IRC back in the day, I know I know it's not really a language, but I wasn't doing basic macros in it, I used to make those really large elaborate scripts people downloaded... anyways, it's fair to say I know what I'm doing, but I'm not well versed in any one language. the ui of the program would be simple, no biggy there, but I've never made a program that calls to the internet, or grabs webpages or anything of the sort. it seems like it should be fairly easy, I'm wondering what language would be good for something simple as this I'm very quick to pickup new languages, taught myself all the of the above in about a 1-3 days so anything new is fine. any input would be great.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Deleting Items from Lists

I have a small problem with lists in python. I need ot know the best way to effectively delete an item from a list. For example, take the following list: list = ["One", "Two", "Three", "Four"] I want to delete, say, the number two. What i currently do is: count = -1 for number in list: count +=1 if number = "Two": break del list[count] It works for me, but i'm wondering if there is a less clunky way to perform the same operation.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Quadratic Formula in Python

I have written a python code for quadratic formula . However, I need both real and complex numbers for my results. I have done research and noticed two differences: real numbers uses import math and complex numbers uses import cmath Here's my code. I would like to know what I have done wrong. I have even put my comments on there: (Toggle Plain Text) # quadraticcomplex.py # A program that computes the complex roots of a quadratic equation. # Illustrates use of the cmath library. # The presence of complex numbers also requires mathematical functions that can perform operations on them. # The imaginary component of a complex number is denoted by a suffix of ``J'' or ``j''; import cmath # Makes the cmath library available. def main(): # beginning of the code print "! This program finds the complex solutions to a quadratic" print a, b, c = input("Please enter the coefficients (a, b, c): ") discRoot = cmath.sqrt(b * b - 4 * a * c) # formula solving discriminant root1 = (-b + discRoot) / (2 * a) # formula solving root1 root2 = (-b - discRoot) / (2 * a) # formula solving root2 print print "The solutions are:", root1, root2 # display the results main() # end of the code # quadraticcomplex.py # A program that computes the complex roots of a quadratic equation. # Illustrates use of the cmath library. # The presence of complex numbers also requires mathematical functions that can perform operations on them. # The imaginary component of a complex number is denoted by a suffix of ``J'' or ``j''; import cmath # Makes the cmath library available. def main(): # beginning of the code print "! This program finds the complex solutions to a quadratic" print a, b, c = input("Please enter the coefficients (a, b, c): ") discRoot = cmath.sqrt(b * b - 4 * a * c) # formula solving discriminant root1 = (-b + discRoot) / (2 * a) # formula solving root1 root2 = (-b - discRoot) / (2 * a) # formula solving root2 print print "The solutions are:", root1, root2 # display the results main() # end of the code
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Please help me graduate!

Quote: Originally Posted by arranta Thank you very much. I'll check it out in a moment. There is one concern I've got. What is enumerate function and how to check out if I have it The enumerate function is probably best expressed with an example. This is a normal for loop: (Toggle Plain Text) list = ["a", "b", "c"] for letter in list: print letter list = ["a", "b", "c"] for letter in list: print letter
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

My Detours In Python

Everyonce in a while I'll decide to put down my RPG for an hour and program something completely pointless. I'll post all that I do during those periods, here: MSN ASCII GENERATOR (Toggle Plain Text) def display(x,y): print for a in range(len(x)): for b in range(len(x[a])): if x[a][b]==" ":y.append(blank) elif x[a][b]=="#":y.append(fill) print"".join(y);y=[] print a=raw_input("Load or Draw Your Design (L/D) ") if a=="D" or a=="d": display(x,[]);a=raw_input("Save (Y/N) ") if a=="Y" or a=="y":print;b=input("Save Slot ");the_file=open("designs_"+str(b),'w');the_text="("+str(b)+") "+str(x);the_file.write(the_text) else: print;b=input("Load Slot Number ");the_file=open("designs_"+str(b),'r');the_contents=the_file.read();r=[] for c in range(len(the_contents)): if the_contents[c:c+len(str(b))]==str(b):r.append(c) elif the_contents[c:c+len(str(b))]==int:r.append(c) if len(r)==1:r.append(len(the_contents));x=[];f=[] for a in range(len(the_contents[r[0]+4+len(str(b)):r[1]-2])): if the_contents[r[0]+4+len(str(b))+a]=="'":f.append(a) x.append(the_contents[r[0]+4+len(str(b)):r[0]+4+len(str(b))+f[0]]) for a in range(1,len(f)): if a%2==0:x.append(the_contents[r[0]+5+len(str(b))+f[a-1]:r[0]+4+len(str(b))+f[a]]) x.append(the_contents[r[0]+5+len(str(b))+f[len(f)-1]:r[1]-2]) if r!=[]:display(x,[]) def display(x,y): print for a in range(len(x)): for b in range(len(x[a])): if x[a][b]==" ":y.append(blank) elif x[a][b]=="#":y.append(fill) print"".join(y);y=[] print a=raw_input("Load or Draw Your Design (L/D) ") if a=="D" or a=="d": display(x,[]);a=raw_input("Save (Y/N) ") if a=="Y" or a=="y":print;b=input("Save Slot ");the_file=open("designs_"+str(b),'w');the_text="("+str(b)+") "+str(x);the_file.write(the_text) else: print;b=input("Load Slot Number ");the_file=open("designs_"+str(b),'r');the_contents=the_file.read();r=[] for c in range(len(the_contents)): if the_contents[c:c+len(str(b))]==str(b):r.append(c) elif the_contents[c:c+len(str(b))]==int:r.append(c) if len(r)==1:r.append(len(the_contents));x=[];f=[] for a in range(len(the_contents[r[0]+4+len(str(b)):r[1]-2])): if the_contents[r[0]+4+len(str(b))+a]=="'":f.append(a) x.append(the_contents[r[0]+4+len(str(b)):r[0]+4+len(str(b))+f[0]]) for a in range(1,len(f)): if a%2==0:x.append(the_contents[r[0]+5+len(str(b))+f[a-1]:r[0]+4+len(str(b))+f[a]]) x.append(the_contents[r[0]+5+len(str(b))+f[len(f)-1]:r[1]-2]) if r!=[]:display(x,[])
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

ftplib help please!

Quote: I've been hunting around, and everything seems to indicate that there should be nothing wrong with my code Very bad assumption to make . Just because you can't see the problem, doesn't mean that it's not there. Eh... you're passing a method (fileObj.write) to a function that wants a file object as its parameter. storlines takes a command and a file object, retrlines take a command and a callback. You must have mistaken them somehow. A little advice: Look at the trackback. It'll show you what you're passing to what function. Cross reference that with the Python documentation, and you can't go wrong.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Static Text Freeze

Everytime I try to run a static text program using the wx.Python commands the new window appears, a little gray section where the text should be appears, but then it freezes and won't respond. I've run the program minus the text and it all appears fine, but once I add the static text script it locks up. It ran perfectly fine a couple of times, then I tried using colour custom static text and it froze. Now it won't run static text at all, even if it's not custom. Anyone know how to resolve this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 28th December 2012
View Replies!

Coding this function

Quote: Originally Posted by public2 We're learning Python AND Java, and the integration between them, but in this first semester, we just learned Python. Baby steps :-) That sounds like an interesting approach to computer programming. Are you also going to use Jython Let us know how you are doing!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Combining strings for os.system()

So... why were you giving me a hard time about it
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Python, Performance, and Psyco

First of all, if you're new to programming and the real world, you almost certainly have the wrong ideas about application development, performance tuning, efficient coding, and the whys and wherefores thereof. That isn't intended to be a mortal insult, but the probability of it being true is very high. I would recommend that you visit this link. The paths that you choose to think-walk might be more productive. As an example, I am currently messing around with porting some image-analysis code to Python (from C/C++). On my first shot, it took 5-10 seconds to load the file and 10-15 seconds to process it. Those relative times have no bearing on where performance issues need to be addressed. The file loading process is: pick the file menu; pick the open option; pick the directory; pick the file; pick my nose; pick OK. Honing those actions, especially picking my nose, is not the path to success. The file is picked once. The image is processed with a function FOR EACH PIXEL. That process may involve accessing multiple pixels for each pixel. Obviously, it can get out of hand. When you have an idea that some section of code is critical, you may be right. Find out. Profile the code. Here is a sample profile (made AFTER I cut the time in half by switching image libraries). (Toggle Plain Text) ncalls tottime percall cumtime percall filename:lineno(function) 1 1.691 1.691 11.567 11.567 Filter.py:332(SobelEdge3) 15876 1.562 0.000 2.268 0.000 Filter.py:38(gradient) 15876 1.035 0.000 2.978 0.000 Image.py:670(crop) 16384 0.775 0.000 2.009 0.000 ImageDraw.py:133(_getink) 16384 0.747 0.000 3.138 0.000 ImageDraw.py:226(point) 15880 0.732 0.000 0.943 0.000 ImageFile.py:115(load) 15876 0.701 0.000 1.001 0.000 Image.py:1546(__init__) 15876 0.546 0.000 0.546 0.000 :0(crop) 16390 0.524 0.000 0.923 0.000 Image.py:79(isStringType) 15876 0.488 0.000 1.490 0.000 Image.py:793(getdata) 15876 0.456 0.000 1.002 0.000 Image.py:1563(load) 15879 0.407 0.000 0.407 0.000 :0(range) 32788 0.399 0.000 0.399 0.000 :0(isinstance) 16384 0.381 0.000 0.381 0.000 :0(draw_points) 16385 0.312 0.000 0.312 0.000 :0(draw_ink) 15894 0.301 0.000 0.301 0.000 Image.py:392(__init__) 15876 0.300 0.000 0.300 0.000 :0(sqrt) 15892 0.211 0.000 0.211 0.000 Image.py:525(load) ncalls tottime percall cumtime percall filename:lineno(function) 1 1.691 1.691 11.567 11.567 Filter.py:332(SobelEdge3) 15876 1.562 0.000 2.268 0.000 Filter.py:38(gradient) 15876 1.035 0.000 2.978 0.000 Image.py:670(crop) 16384 0.775 0.000 2.009 0.000 ImageDraw.py:133(_getink) 16384 0.747 0.000 3.138 0.000 ImageDraw.py:226(point) 15880 0.732 0.000 0.943 0.000 ImageFile.py:115(load) 15876 0.701 0.000 1.001 0.000 Image.py:1546(__init__) 15876 0.546 0.000 0.546 0.000 :0(crop) 16390 0.524 0.000 0.923 0.000 Image.py:79(isStringType) 15876 0.488 0.000 1.490 0.000 Image.py:793(getdata) 15876 0.456 0.000 1.002 0.000 Image.py:1563(load) 15879 0.407 0.000 0.407 0.000 :0(range) 32788 0.399 0.000 0.399 0.000 :0(isinstance) 16384 0.381 0.000 0.381 0.000 :0(draw_points) 16385 0.312 0.000 0.312 0.000 :0(draw_ink) 15894 0.301 0.000 0.301 0.000 Image.py:392(__init__) 15876 0.300 0.000 0.300 0.000 :0(sqrt) 15892 0.211 0.000 0.211 0.000 Image.py:525(load)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Suppressing output

Is there a way to suppress output to stdout in Python I am importing a module written by someone else that I do not want to modify which prints status messages while it is running. Is there an easy way to prevent these messages from being printed, then allowing my program to print its own messages I assume the solution to this would be to redirect stdout, which I might look into, but is that the easiest/standard way to do this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Keeping Window Open :\

K, I'm a complete noob when it comes to python. I have no experience in it what-so-ever. So you might be getting a lot of these posts from me... little lame things... Now, how do you keep a python window open When I do the print command, it doesn't stay open. Noobular, I know... but still. How
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Python Internals

all, i just read that if you make a list of ints, python will allocate a QUADWORD per element in the list! I mean, i've got a gig of ram, but a quadword what the heck does it do with all that space Seems like most of it MUST go to waste. I'm not super concerned about memory effeciency in most of the stuff i'd write in python, but thats not just ineffecient, its downright wasteful. Anyone know why its designed this way Also, if anyone knows of any good documentation that describes the python internals (and maybe some of the logic behind them) i'd love to see it, i havent found much about hacking the internals in python.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Can a function give a global variable a value?

Is there anyway for this to happen At the moment, I am working on a little text adventure. I have also recently discovered the joy of functions, but they have one problem; they can't return a value for a global variable! The following code is a test for a question system I am making for my text adventure game. At the moment, I want my function to give a value for "answer". (Toggle Plain Text) inventory = [ "cat" , "gun" , "wallet" , "condom" ] answer = 0 def questions(q,ansone,anstwo,ansoneres,anstwores,ansunknown): questionloop = 0 while questionloop != 3: ans = raw_input(q) if ans == "inven": print inventory elif ans == ansone: print ansoneres questionloop = 3 answer = 1 elif ans == anstwo: print anstwores questionloop = 3 answer = 2 else: print ansunknown questions("Where is my cat! :","dead","alive","NOOOOOOOO!","THANK GOD!","WTF!") if answer == 1: print " answer equals 1, the story will continue with this path." elif answer == 2: print " answer equals 2, the story will continue with this path." else: print "no one is going to ever see this text. HAHAHAHAHA!" inventory = [ "cat" , "gun" , "wallet" , "condom" ] answer = 0 def questions(q,ansone,anstwo,ansoneres,anstwores,ansunknown): questionloop = 0 while questionloop != 3: ans = raw_input(q) if ans == "inven": print inventory elif ans == ansone: print ansoneres questionloop = 3 answer = 1 elif ans == anstwo: print anstwores questionloop = 3 answer = 2 else: print ansunknown questions("Where is my cat! :","dead","alive","NOOOOOOOO!","THANK GOD!","WTF!") if answer == 1: print " answer equals 1, the story will continue with this path." elif answer == 2: print " answer equals 2, the story will continue with this path." else: print "no one is going to ever see this text. HAHAHAHAHA!"
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Optimizing my win32api function?

I have a program that is intended to record and playback arrow keys and space bar input exactly how they were pressed and at what time. But I need it to be more precise/accurate/consistent, rather then just recording the number of empty loops in between each change... help please main.py (Toggle Plain Text) from win32api import * from win32con import * from time import sleep def Record(filename): save = [] done = False lGate = False rGate = False dGate = False uGate = False sGate = False b = -1 print 'Press Enter When Ready ...\nPress Escape To End' while not GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RETURN):' ' while not done: if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_LEFT): if not lGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 lGate = True save.append( "37a" ) elif lGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 lGate = False save.append( "37b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RIGHT): if not rGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 rGate = True save.append( "39a" ) elif rGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 rGate = False save.append( "39b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_UP): if not uGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 uGate = True save.append( "38a" ) elif uGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 uGate = False save.append( "38b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_DOWN): if not dGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 dGate = True save.append( "40a" ) elif dGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 dGate = False save.append( "40b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_SPACE): if not sGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 sGate = True save.append( "32a" ) elif sGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 sGate = False save.append( "32b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_ESCAPE): done = True if b + 1: b += 1 file = open(filename, 'w') file.write( ''.join(save)[3:] ) file.close() def Play(file, interval): data = open(file, 'r').read() r = [] a,o = 0,0 while a < len(data): if data[a] == 'a': r += ['keybd_event(%s, 0, KEYEVENTF_EXTENDEDKEY, 0)'%(data[o:a])] o = a + 1 elif data[a] == 'b': r += ['keybd_event(%s, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0)'%(data[o:a])] o = a + 1 elif data[a] == 'c': r += [ 'sleep( %s )' % ( float(int(data[o:a])) / float(interval)) ] o = a + 1 a += 1 print 'Press Enter When Ready ...\nPress Escape To End' while not GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RETURN):'' for event in r: exec event if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_ESCAPE): break keybd_event(VK_LEFT, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) keybd_event(VK_RIGHT, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) keybd_event(VK_UP, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) #reset keys keybd_event(VK_DOWN, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) keybd_event(VK_SPACE, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) #Record('sample.sKey') #Play('sample.sKey', 48500) #shorter the interval = longer wait between movements (greater distance) #bigger the interval = smaller wait between movements (lesser distance) from win32api import * from win32con import * from time import sleep def Record(filename): save = [] done = False lGate = False rGate = False dGate = False uGate = False sGate = False b = -1 print 'Press Enter When Ready ...\nPress Escape To End' while not GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RETURN):' ' while not done: if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_LEFT): if not lGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 lGate = True save.append( "37a" ) elif lGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 lGate = False save.append( "37b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RIGHT): if not rGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 rGate = True save.append( "39a" ) elif rGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 rGate = False save.append( "39b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_UP): if not uGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 uGate = True save.append( "38a" ) elif uGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 uGate = False save.append( "38b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_DOWN): if not dGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 dGate = True save.append( "40a" ) elif dGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 dGate = False save.append( "40b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_SPACE): if not sGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 sGate = True save.append( "32a" ) elif sGate: save.append(str(b)+'c') ; b = 0 sGate = False save.append( "32b" ) if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_ESCAPE): done = True if b + 1: b += 1 file = open(filename, 'w') file.write( ''.join(save)[3:] ) file.close() def Play(file, interval): data = open(file, 'r').read() r = [] a,o = 0,0 while a < len(data): if data[a] == 'a': r += ['keybd_event(%s, 0, KEYEVENTF_EXTENDEDKEY, 0)'%(data[o:a])] o = a + 1 elif data[a] == 'b': r += ['keybd_event(%s, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0)'%(data[o:a])] o = a + 1 elif data[a] == 'c': r += [ 'sleep( %s )' % ( float(int(data[o:a])) / float(interval)) ] o = a + 1 a += 1 print 'Press Enter When Ready ...\nPress Escape To End' while not GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RETURN):'' for event in r: exec event if GetAsyncKeyState(VK_ESCAPE): break keybd_event(VK_LEFT, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) keybd_event(VK_RIGHT, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) keybd_event(VK_UP, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) #reset keys keybd_event(VK_DOWN, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) keybd_event(VK_SPACE, 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0) #Record('sample.sKey') #Play('sample.sKey', 48500) #shorter the interval = longer wait between movements (greater distance) #bigger the interval = smaller wait between movements (lesser distance)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Programming Basics, where do i start?

all, I am new to programming, (new may be an understatement), and I have an idea. The problem is I have no clue where to start! I want to design a GUI that ties to a windows driver and multiple viewers. Basically a GUI that will browse all files on a PC, let the user select those files, view them first if they would like, then submit to the windows printer driver queue. Ive gone through many python tutorials, but honestly have no clue where to start.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Storing filenames

I am writing a program that needs to keep track of a large number of files on a hard drive. The files will be stored as absolute paths (eg, /path/to/file.txt). Each time it is run, it may find new files. I want to store the paths to new files as well as paths to files it found when run previously, including files that are no longer found. Is there an easy way to store these paths so that there will not be duplicates Would this be a good use for the shelve module, or is there a better way to do this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Recursion: yield vs. return

I have been learning Python for a while now. I was browsing old posts in this forum and stumbled across this thread in which Arevos posted the following code: (Toggle Plain Text) def permutations(x): if len(x)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!