FlightFeather Social Networking Platform 0.3.1

FlightFeather's goal is "social networking for ". This means
that *anyone* should have a chance to run a *popular* social
networking site -- on minimal hardware, and without wasting bandwidth.

Release 0.3.1 is the current development release. It adds a safe
shutdown feature to the FlightFeather server, eliminating the need for
the two-step shutdown procedure described in "QuickStart.txt". The new
feature also allows you to stop the server remotely, from a list of
trusted IP addresses (set to just 127.0.0.1 by default).

The current beta release of FlightFeather is 0.2.8. You can download
these releases (free/open source under the GPL) from the "BoSStats"
site, which runs on FlightFeather.

http://www.bosstats.com/flightfeather.html

You are always welcome to participate in the discussion on the
"BoSStats" site; the topic covered (what makes a good boss, office
politics, etc.) is valuable in and of itself. Please, however,
refrain from posting test comments, as the site is live.

A Brief Overview of FlightFeather and BoSStats
----------------------------------------------
FlightFeather is in its early stages, but it is functional. You can
see the system in action on the BoSStats site. BoSStats is
dedicated to improving the world of work: you can discuss what makes a
good boss, or share your experiences of office politics. You can also
comment and vote on the posts made by others. The application does
not set cookies, and no registration is required for anything except
voting.

http://www.bosstats.com/

BoSStats is a good testbed for FlightFeather, and has value of its
own, since meaningful advice about work-related problems is very hard
to find. A "Wisdom of Crowds" solution -- particularly with strong
privacy protection (see below) -- is a necessary addition to this
field.

FlightFeather's most important feature is that all write requests
generate (or modify) HTML files. In consequence, a pure read (the
most common operation) merely serves static pages.

The major design focus for FlightFeather are responsiveness and
performance; the system should eventually support very high traffic
volumes. In addition, FlightFeather allows for a great deal of user
privacy -- a critical, rapidly emerging problem in the social
networking realm.

Posted On: Monday 5th of November 2012 03:54:15 AM Total Views:  125
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Python Programming PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

crossplatform standalone python apps

, I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips it and runs it. Has anyone ever done anything like that I searched google but didn't find anything really, and currently, even in my dev env, I have to set the PYTHONPATH manually, and for a standalone app I couldn't do that for example. Thank you, Gabriel
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 3rd November 2012
View Replies!

[OT] Looking for developers: platform for fast and effective learning

everybody, I'm working on a website for fast and effective learning using spaced repetition technique. This is the same method used in SuperMemo, Mnemosyne, FullRecall or Anki software. I'd want to create an online version, supporting easy adding of own material and sharing with others. The method is very effective and is great for learning foreign language, learning to exams etc. I wonder that there is no such site running already. There is SuperMemo.net, but it is a typical commercial application, oriented for selling commercial courses. I would like to put on building community, collaboration in writing material and social learning. I'm looking for ambitious people, who want to take part in this undertaking. I can offer revenue share, if the project succeed. Technologies: Python (Pylons) + JavaScript (Ext JS) I have a working base in Pylons and Ext JS but we can consider changing tools. Best regards, Adam Dziendziel adam (dot) dziendziel (at) gmail (dot) com
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Python platform.

all; I wonder if there is a platform written in python. The equivalent of the Netbeans platform http://platform.netbeans.org/ in the Python world. Do you know such a thing
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

A service for testing Python code on multiple platforms and versions

Hopefully a service like this already exists and I just haven't found it yet. If not it could be an idea for some kind soul(s) to pick up and run with ;-) As someone who writes and releases Python modules for the community, I find it difficult to have a decent level of confidence in the efficacy of my code on platforms and Python versions other than those that I own or use regularly. My documentation states that I support Python 2.3 or higher. This ends up being more of a statement of good intentions than a one of fact. A case in point. A bug (in Python), that I believed to have been killed off after Python 2.2, resurfaced in a 2.4.x release of Python on PowerPC recently. As I don't own any PowerPC kit, it was very difficult to a) investigate the bug and b) create an effective fix for it in a timely fashion. Fortunately I'd come across it before so the fix was easy but it might not have been. While I realise one's code can never be perfect, you can cover for these sorts of eventualities fairly easily by running your software and unit tests under different environments. You'd also like to be able to do this on a continual basis rather than just once or twice. If this was done with some kind of automated testing and reporting so much the better. Bigger projects that take code quality seriously probably already have this sort of thing in place for their own purposes, but for smaller ones it just isn't possible. Wouldn't it be great to have a service/setup out there available for Python developers to access that covered a fairly broad base of possible Python installations for the purpose of improve overall code quality Am I the only one that would find something like this useful Dave M.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: How to figure out if the platform is 32bit or 64bit?

Manuel Vazquez Acosta wrote: > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- > Hash: SHA1 > > Just test for maxint value: > > from sys import maxint > if maxint >> 33: > print "more than 32 bits" # probably 64 > else: > print "32 bits" I believe that was already suggested in this thread. That test will just tell you if the Python *build* is 32-bit or 64-bit. If the answer is 32-bit, then that doesn't tell you if this is a 32-bit Python running on a 64-bit OS. Trent -- Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

Using McMillan Installer, PyInstall or py2exe cross-platform?

has anybody used McMillan Installer, PyInstall or py2exe cross-platform I have a Windows partition with Python installed there, so this would "only" required working on a different directory and for a different OS. Since I'm working on Linux, it's awful to boot Windows each time I want to build a new release. Any hint in this area -- Schnen Gru -
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

ANN: PyAMF 0.3.1 Released

We're pleased to announce PyAMF 0.3.1, a lightweight library that allows Flash and Python applications to communicate via Adobe's ActionScript Message Format. AMF3 and RemoteObject are supported in all the implemented Remoting gateways, compatible with Django, Twisted, TurboGears2, Google App Engine and any WSGI-compatible application. This release provides improved support for Google App Engine and comes with following changes and fixes: - Google Model/Expando encoding now works out of the box - Django model adapter now imported only when django.db.models is imported (Ticket:261) - Fixed issue with Remote Object destination (Ticket:270) - Added a new gateway for the Google App Engine - see pyamf.remoting.gateway.google.WebAppGateway (Ticket:253) - amf0 Encoder now takes amf3 contexts into account (Ticket:268) - amf*.encode helpers can now accept multiple arguments (Ticket:267) - Removed the dependency of fpconst for Python 2.5 or newer (Ticket: 243) - Solved issue with AMFPHP exceptions in AMF client (Ticket:258) - Fixed issue with url parsing in AMF client (Ticket:256) - Client no longer raises httplib.ResponseNotReady when making multiple requests using the same RemotingService (Ticket:254) Check out the download page [1], installation instructions [2] and examples [3]. Questions First stop is the mailing list [4], but we also hang out on IRC [5]. Cheers, - the PyAMF team [1] http://pyamf.org/wiki/Download [2] http://pyamf.org/wiki/Install [3] http://pyamf.org/wiki/Examples [4] http://pyamf.org/wiki/MailingList [5] irc://irc.collab.eu/pyamf -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin) iEYEARECAAYFAkgezyUACgkQBRbMGagbo3mbOwCcD+OQAFlnwoK2+JqD6y8jcv2F TgUAnAnsVOn4oIAO+SnpMYBO9AUNcPx2 =Cgpu -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

ANN: ConfigObj 4.5.1 and validate 0.3.1

After one year and two days since the last release, there is a new release of ConfigObj. * ConfigObj 4.5.1 http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/configobj.html> * Validate 0.3.1 http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/validate.html This release adds a few new features, plus has several bugfixes and minor performance improvements.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

Re: Cannot build Python 2.4 SRPM on x64 platform

"Michael Wieher" wrote in message news:fb251aba0803160709w475de08cg1cabedcfb2205672@mail.gmail.com... > Sorry I don't have much of a better idea, but if I had this kind of > problem > with an RPM, I'd just grab the tarball and start hacking away at > ./configure > pre-requirements, trying to use --options to trim it down to the bare > minimal and see if I can get it to load up.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 4th November 2012
View Replies!

platform system may be Windows or Microsoft since Vista

Let's suppose you get Python for Vista Windows today from http://www.python.org/download/. Should you then conclude that the tests: if platform.system() in ('Windows', 'Microsoft'): if not (platform.system() in ('Windows', 'Microsoft')): are now exactly what you should write for that 2.5.1 Python, when you must resort to os-specific tools like DeviceIoControl, in place of the slightly simpler tests that worked before: if platform.system() == 'Windows': # Microsoft if platform.system() != 'Windows': # Microsoft Curiously yours, thanks in advance, P.S. Groups search assures me clp hasn't previously reviewed: platform system Windows Microsoft P.P.S. I ask because this August I rediscovered this 28 May Python uname vs. Win kernel32.getVersionEx issue indexed by Google as follows: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pat...ne/022947.html .... Patches item #1726668, was opened at 2007-05-28 03:23 On Microsoft Vista platform.system() returns 'Microsoft' and platform.release() returns 'Windows' Under Microsoft Windows XP SP2 platform.system() returns 'Windows' and platform.release() returns 'XP'. This is problem was caused by a change in the output of the "ver" command. In Windows XP SP2 "ver" outputted 'Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]' In Microsoft Vista "ver" outputted 'Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]'. The lack of the 3rd word before version causes _syscmd_ver(...) in platform.py to return 'Microsoft' for system instead of 'Microsoft Windows'. This causes uname() to return the incorrect values. Both system() and release() call uname(). ....
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Dispatching default application for file, cross platform.

How do I do the equivalent of clicking (in SuSe) or double clicking (in Windows) on a file In effect I want to tell the OS - take this file and feed it to the application that is registered for it. Not too sure what to Google for. - Hendrik
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

automatically setting platform-dependent location for Distutils "install-scripts"?

all, I am developing a Python-based tool that will be deployed both in a Windows and in a Linux environment, and I have a question concerning the use of the Distutils module to manage the installation of the tool in a transparent manner. A bit of background info: 1. (I am using Python version 2.5) 2. Let's assume that the tool is named "xyz" 3. It is internally partitioned into two parts: xyzScript.py -- the front-end script that the users actually invoke, and xyzPackage -- a package containing the "guts" of the tool 4. Users do not really care where the "xyzPackage" part is installed -- and thus by default it will be installed into Python's standard "site-packages" directory. 5. However, users *do* care where the "xyzScript.py" part is installed Now, I have created a Distutils-based "setup.py" script that looks like this: from distutils.core import setup > > setup(name='xyz', > version="1.0", > # provide other metadata, such as 'description', 'author', 'author_email', 'url', ... etc. > > packages=['xyzPackage'], > > scripts=['xyzScript.py']) > .... that takes care of the above concerns, and also accepts a "setup.cfg" configuration file that allows the user to control into which directory to install the "xyzScript.py" part, as follows: > > [install] > install-scripts=C:\xyzScriptDirectory > And thus, here is my problem: [1] At any given moment, the directory name specified in the above "setup.cfg" file can be either a "Windows-style" directory (as is shown above) or a "Linux-style" directory (say "/opt/xyzScriptDirectory"), but not both! [2] I would like to have a *single* "setup.cfg" file that can nevertheless be used for *both* Windows and Linux, *without* having to be edited by the user. For example, it would be really nice if I can have a customized "setup.cfg" file that looks like: > > [install] > install-scripts-Windows=C:\xyzScriptDirectory > install-scripts-Linux=/opt/xyzScriptDirectory > .... and then some part of Distutils can query "os.name" and set the "real" 'install-scripts' option to the appropriate one of these two choices. I assume this can be done by "overriding" and customizing part of Distutils. Indeed, I have already done something similar by overriding "distutils.command.build_scripts" to use a customized "copy_scripts()" method. However, it is not clear to me in what manner I can/should override "distutils.command.install_scripts" to achieve the effect that I dee. Is this at all the way to go, or might there be a totally obvious way to do this that I am currently overlooking If anyone has similar experience in tweaking Distutils, I would be most appreciative of any advice that you can offer.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Cross platform Python app deployment

Is there some reference regarding how to package a Python application for the various platforms I'm familiar with Windows deployment - I use Py2Exe & InnoSetup - but I would like more information on deploying on Mac and Linux. TIA, Will McGugan -- http://www.willmcgugan.com
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Cross platform way of finding number of processors on a machine?

Is there a way to find the number of processors on a machine (on linux/ windows/macos/cygwin) using python code (using the same code/cross platform code)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Re: The best platform and editor for Python

On Jul 2, 5:10 am, kimiraikkonen wrote: > > For experienced with Pyhton users, which developing software and > enviroment would you suggest for Pyhton programming Compiler+Editor > +Debugger. > > Also what are your suggestions for beginners of Pyhton programming > > Thank you. http://www.wingware.com/ is pretty impressive but non-free of both beer & speech varieties
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

ANN: uuid-0.3.1 released

Happy to announce the release of uuid-0.3.1 (bugfix release) What is uuid uuid is a python module to create RFC 4122 compatible UUIDs The module supports generation off RFC 4122 compatible time based, random, sha1 and md5 based UUIDs Whats new x. fixed a bug where a call to uuid_nd5() and uuid_sha1() could lead to infinite recursion For download and documentation see http://home.arcor.de/jurner/python/
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

[ANN] Balazar Brothers 0.3.1, a 3D game in Python!

WHAT IS BALAZAR BROTHERS Balazar Brothers is a 3D Puzzle game, written entirely in Python using the Soya 3D engine. The game proposes impressive 3D graphics as well as interesting challenge. A 3D platform universe, two characters and two keys, one for each character. Just press a key and the corresponding character will jump on the next platform in front of him. But many traps and moving platforms will get you crazy! See screenshots => http://home.gna.org/oomadness/en/bal...creenshot.html WHAT'S NEW This release adds: * a new world, the Pompon forest, with a new music and 9 funny levels :-) * different animations for each of the two Balazar brothers, and a special animation for the brother surf * an improved cellshading rendering * the new Cerealizer file format Get Balazar Brothers here: http://home.gna.org/oomadness/en/bal...her/index.html Jiba
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!

Ann: FarPy GUIE v0.3.1

GUIE (GUI Editor) provides a simple WYSIWYG GUI editor for wxPython. The program was made in C# and saves the GUI that was created to a XML format I called GUIML. This GUIML is a pretty standard representation of the GUI created with the program. Next, GUIE takes these GUIML files and translates it to wxPython Python code. You may ask yourself why I took the extra step Why didn't I go straight from C# controls to wxPython code Why is GUIML necessary Well, it isn't. It is there simply for people (or maybe I) to take the GUIML and convert it to other languages. This, by effect can convert this tool from a Python GUI editor, to "any programming language with a GUI module" GUI editor. http://farpy.holev.com Changes (as of v0.3.1) Added: Cut + Copy + Paste Functionality! Added: Code window (shows exported code; possible to disable in settings) Added: Error reporting option Changed: Preperations for multi GUI language support
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 5th November 2012
View Replies!