Wonderful Experience

I have to say that the Windows7 beta1 has been a wonderful experience. The installation was a snap. The 32bit version found all the drivers it needed. With a few very minor rough edges, like not remembering to show my thumbnails extra large, it works amazingly well. I feel more comfortable with the beta1 of Windows7 than I did with Vista after using it for over a year.

I did add a Quick Launch toolbar to the taskbar. I listen to the radio via internet explorer and starting a second IE was a nuisance that the Quick Launch toolbar solved.

I tried the CD/DVD burner and it worked great and I even burned an image file.

Now, I'm eagerly awaiting the RC1 and final. Kudos to MS.
Posted On: Friday 5th of October 2012 12:28:37 AM Total Views:  27
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

I just have to say it, my Windows 7 experience has been less then great... In fact its been horrid. I have built my first computer just recently from the ground up with my own choices in hardware, nothing is defective and yet Windows 7 has been giving me nothing but issues. I honestly dont see what is so great about it, its all flashy effects and unstable as all heck. I have had no less then 20 bluescreens and that number counting by the day. Many times 7 refuses to start properly, or starts but bluescreens off the bat, I have had issues updating as well and its been one headache after the next. I dont get it, all this hype Microsoft gives to 7 and its no better then Vista on my machine, heck I rather have XP again with all the issues I have had. I am beginning to wonder if paying the $140 I did on the OS is worth it, heck I have had more success with Linux then I ever did with Windows. I use Ubuntu linux 10.10 and so far its crashed far less, had not nearly as many issues and works better in my opinion. Windows the better OS Not to me.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 20th September 2012
View Replies!

Positive Win7 7201 64-bit experience!

I was pretty hesitant about jumping onto Windows 7 since I was still running XP. But I couldn't resist the idea of using the next Windows free for a year so I downloaded and installed 7100. I am now up to 7201 and wanted to post what apps I am using successfully. Bear in mind I am using 64-bit also and my principal computer usage is for home admin, email, web use, watching videos/movies, listening to music, controlling my BOSS GT-10 guitar multieffects controller, and a bit of 3-d gaming in COD4. Unless noted otherwise, all of the following apps are installed and working fine. 7-zip 64-bit edition - WinZIP alternative Adobe Reader 9.1.1 BOSS GT-10 driver - installed in VISTA compatibility mode - 64-bit driver for BOSS GT-10 CCleaner - system cleanup tool. Cleans IE, Chrome, and log files OK. Does not have ability yet apparently on either Win7 or 64-bit to cleanup hotfix installers like it can on XP Creative Audio Drivers 2.18.0013 Creative Console Launcher 2.61.09 - these both support my X-Fi Extreme Gamer just fine Diskeeper 2009 Professional - alternative disk defrag - nice and zippy installed in 64-bit mode DU Meter 4.01.R3076 - bandwidth meter - installed in 32-bit mode Google Chrome - installed itself in 32-bit mode GT-10 Librarian - 32-bit patch manager software for BOSS GT-10 GT-10 FxFloorboard - 32-bit patch editor software for BOSS GT-10 MagicDisc 2.7.106 - mounting/accessing DVD images - works fine. This version is listed on the PowerISO web site as having Win 7 compatibility McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise and Anti-Spyware Enterprise 8.7 - both installed native 64-bit mode and work fine MP3Tag 2.43 - MP3 file tag editor, works fine NVIDIA 186.08 drivers for Geforce 8800 GTS card Paint.NET 3.36 - image editor program - installed as 32-bit, works fine Powertab Editor 1.7 - reading/editing softcopy music scores - works fine Quicktime 7.62.14.0 - works fine VUZE 4.2.0.2 - torrent client - works fine ZoomPlayer 6.00 MAX - media player application with ffdshow and other codecs, works great! I have it setup to use the MS EVR renderer and playback and sound are great under 64-bit CoreTemp 0.99.4 64-bit - works great, shows me CPU temp COD4 - nothing to report yet since I haven't tried running it. It wanted to install into the Program Files (x86) directory and when I did that Punkbuster did not update. I forced it to install into the Program Files directory instead and also set VISTA compatibility. I also manually downloaded PBSETUP.EXE from evenbalance and run that from a separate directory rather than using the one that comes with the game. I've been doing this for a couple years now so that I know what version of PB is installed on my system for various games. So that's my list. While probably not required, I ran the installers for all of these 'as Adminstrator' in most cases. I usually ran things without selecting any compatability mode except as noted above.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Microsoft - PLEASE fix this AWFUL Multimedia experience

Note to Microsoft Developers Why on Earth do you have to make such a dogs dinner of essentially a decent application. I'm talking about the Windows Media Center. Most TV tuner cards sold these days have a Composite Video input as well as Antenna / cable input. However when you set up the Media Center for your device you can only choose Antenna OR set top box. This means that you can EITHER play TV on it OR take input from your aux. input (set top box, video sender, camcorder etc etc). Once you've set it up then you can't add the secondary source ---- what a dogs dinner -- lots of people have camcorders etc etc they would like to use without having to re-set the entire media center each time. Also you can't even set up the composite input unless you have a remote -- again what a dogs dinner -- if I'm playing a camcorder on a laptop why do I want to mess around with a remote -- and in any case the chances are the remote won't be recognized by the computer anyway. Surely it would be simple on the interface when starting the program to prompt for source Antenna or Composite. C'mon Microsoft -- do you actually get "Real Users" to test this stuff -- anybody would have pointed this defect out in 5 mins. If you are hoping to Integrate Browsing, Multi-media, etc etc you had better get "your thinking hats on again". I like the idea of the TV program guides per region etc which makes the Media Center theoretically better than the 3rd party application software -- but why hobble what must be an easy feature to include. Woof Woof -- as I said what a dogs dinner. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!