Why the registry can't be changed

Could the registry be replaced Sure, in software, pretty much any change is possible.
In practice though...If you were to replace the registry, you would end up with something that pretty much looks exactly like the registry.

Go take a look at all the programs on your hard disk that use the registry APIs in [consults wikipedia] in advapi32.dll. (There is a way to dump the APIs that a binary uses with link.exe; wish I could remember the command right now.)

Pretty much every executable file uses the registry, and expects keys to be in certain places in the registry. The APIs for getting/setting stuff in the registry are not going to go away for the next 10 years. http://shippingseven.blogspot.com/2008/01/registry.html to Read More

Well, looks interesting to me. I would agree, this is part of why Windows cannot move quickly, because it has to be compatible with older versions of software, so they have to make it backward compatible.
Posted On: Saturday 6th of October 2012 01:07:48 AM Total Views:  312
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

VBA write to registry Win 7

I am not able to figure out how to write to the registry in VB or VBA. I tried using the windows APi and WS.Script, both work in the XP environment, but not Win7 I just need to create a key and set the key value. MY current code I am using can read the key if I manually create it. I have read a ton of stuff about the redirection in the registry in win7 but nothing translates to just wow to create a key in the windows 7 registry in Visual Basic. A billion
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 18th September 2012
View Replies!

why cant i use my wireless??

hi i got a sony laptop 64bit working on win7 when i want to connect wireless it ask 4 the key i do it al, got full connection full strength and got a connection with my modem i see other modem,s from people around me and mine so full connection but when i put the wire out no internet but full connection\ti see ipv6 dont work ipv4 do\t
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 21st September 2012
View Replies!

I cant take it anymore!

I have given windows 7 the true benefit of the doubt but as of now I will be going back to XP. I have been running RC build 7100 for about a 6 weeks now and tough I like the look of it the feel is just not there. I want to be able to configure my OS to act the way I want it to. I don't see why that is so hard. I was really hoping for an improvement over XP mainly because of boredom but the fact is that XP gets the job done and it does it my way. Even if win7 was faster, and it was for the first week, I am simply more productive in XP. I have always supported Microsoft's OS but Vista and 7 are forcing my hand to consider the alternative. I think I'm as about as frustrated with win7 as I was with Ubuntu or the time I tried a hackintosh install. Now I'm not going to go into detail of my disappointment in Vista and 7 I just want to bitch a little before I go. Oh. and I hope those Microsoft stocks work out for you. Let me know how that goes.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

cant find files

, i have just downloaded some files, but cant seem to find them anywhere, looked in all the usual places but not seeing them, is there a way i can search my entire cdrive for them as it's driving me nuts!!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 2nd October 2012
View Replies!