Update Vs Clean install pros and cons of both

Hi
I agree absolutely that in general a Clean install is usually a better approach however in the case of a Beta that might not always be a good idea.

In the case of Windows XP ===> W7 X-32 there are some drivers that Vista hasn't got yet - even though though in some cases the XP version will work.

With a Clean install -- these programs for me would not work.

NO LAN connection even though my Via velocity family gigabit ethernet card was reported as working correctly and using the latest driver.

Hauppage Win TV tuner wouldn't work for Digital channels (was OK on analog).

Epson 1290 Photo Printer stubbornly refused to do anything (again Windows reported driver as working 100%..

Winamp failed to show any options for CD ripping -- I rip to FLAC a lot so this is a MUST program.

Windvd did work but was a bit of a pain to get it to go --needed a few installs.

Some Stock exchange "Charting Software" would only give me blank screens. (Applications actually written for XP).

So I did XP==>Vista Ultimate X-32==> W7 X32.

Guess what --the WHOLE Kybosh worked first time.

I did all the VISTA updates before going from Vista Ultimate to W7. My Vista Ultimate was "Borrowed" from another computer so I didn't activate it. You can still get 30 days so no prob there and the Windows 7 activation doesn't check whether the previous version of Windows you upgraded from was activated or not.

You can't do this trick to upgrade XP PRO via Windows Vista Home premium -- only works with VISTA Ultimate.

I tghink the upgrade process seems to think if the XP working driver is OK then don't bother doing anything -- or perhaps it automatically sets the "Program Compatability" levels in ways I don't know about. The inner workings of Windows in any case are beyond the understanding of "lesser mortals" like me.

Anyway you've got one Very Happy Camper now even if it a bit of a long winded way to get to W7 ftom XP.

The only program I had to uninstall was NERO -- worked again on re-install.
Alcohol 52 doesn't work but I knew that anyway and I have some really old legacy hardware which I also knew about -- Windows XP Virtual machine handles these.

So whilst in general if you've got Networking or some other intractable problems on a clean install it might be worth your while also doing waht I did --just takes a bit of extra time and you need to find a Vista Ultimate X-32 image somewhere - just borrow one from a colleague / work - you aren't actually going to activate it but just use it as a One Time Migration tool.

Cheers after a long night,
now a nice glass of Scotch (or two) and I can go to bed happy.
Jimbo.
Posted On: Thursday 4th of October 2012 11:31:00 PM Total Views:  84
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

[UPDATE] Compter screeb wont even turn on after windows update. PLease healp!

I have an HP pavilion entertainment PC (hp pavilion dv4). Well my lap top needed and update one day and i pressed okay but the problem is that once it shutdown it would not even turn on. I mean the laptop would turn on but not the screen I tried doing the power option meaning i held the power button for 30 secs then 60 secs after it didn't work. i removed the battery and all that. I cant even do safe mode start up because the screen is black. no even the logo windows shows up. I connected it to a monitor but nothing. The caps and the scroll button turn on and off after a few secs then again. I have a huge 15 page paper due and it's in here, please tel me someone can help. I'm freaking out!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 18th September 2012
View Replies!

windows update conspiracy

I have had windows 7 installed from an OEM disk for about 6+ months. I have always had auto updates disabled. last night I shutdown the computer just to find 98 updates being installed. I was just a little disappointed, for a couple of reasons. one reason is it seems to take longer to boot after updates have been installed. Two I liked manually updating hardware. Three ISP's threshold limited bandwidth. I am the only user of this pc so no one re enabled it. The only thing I can figure is that the night before last, I installed windows live mail 2011 for the first time. So the Microsoft software decided for me that I needed to have auto updates turned on. Without even a warning it was going to be done. Now I may be totally wrong about this because I have not found a log when the change took place. But due to the spike in bandwidth, which just about broke my threshold, happen yesterday. Windows live mail was installed just before seems reasonable to me. As much as I like windows 7 this kind of behavior always bugs me. Makes me wonder if they can log on to my system and do what ever they want. I know its a conspiracy! ttb
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 20th September 2012
View Replies!

[UPDATE] Basic questions about Windows updates

, I am new to Windows and am looking for a forum where I can post questions about the Windows 7 operating system that are rather basic in nature. For example, how Windows updates work. I noticed that in Control Panels there is a link to "Windows Update" which has "1 important update selected" displayed with a button to install it. Yet I know that sometimes when I am turning off my computer, I see the message displayed "Windows is installing updates" which leads me to believe that sometimes Windows automatically installs updates without asking me. My question is -- what is the difference When should I go to the Windows Update window in Control Panels and how would I know if I should install them Your assistance with this would be appreciated. Thank you. Cosmasad
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 21st September 2012
View Replies!

What happens to Office updates when uninstalling 2007?

I want to try out the office 2010 beta and am going to uninstall 2007 and put 2010 on fresh. But if i decide to put 2007 back on will i have to download and install all the updates again or do they stay on the system
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 23rd September 2012
View Replies!

Problem with th recent Broadcom driver autoupdate

My Dell XPS desktop computer is two weeks old. Win 7 works great. When I got the computer, the first thing I did was to install Linksys wmp300N wireless adaptor on PCI slot. Installation of its driver was followed. Since then, the wireless internet connecxtion has been working great so far. Recently, there were autoupdates of dirvers and files. One of the updates was "Broadcom driver update for broadcom 802.11n adaptor". This update killed the wireless connection. I could not figure out how to fix this problem. I am now forced to use an ethernet cable for the Internet connection. I wonder anybody has a similar experience. If so, could you please share how you fixed the conenction problem. Hummer
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 24th September 2012
View Replies!

Driver updates

I am using Win7 x64 I run Driver Robot and it showed that I had 32 outdated drivers Windows hardware manager shows all drivers to be updated. What does this mean How can I be sure I have all drivers up to date, I keep a list of hardware sites that have my necessary drivers such as Intel, Nvidia, and so forth. Periodically, I go check for updates. It's not much trouble and works for me. I'll admit I'm rather compulsive about keeping drivers updated and will update whether I have a "problem" or not., Originally Posted by tanzanos None of my drivers show to be outdated in hardware devices. But! Does Win7 actually check to see that all hardware drivers are up to date No.. once they decide the driver works it takes manual steps to get them to let go.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 24th September 2012
View Replies!

My opinion on the Windows 7 vs XP matter.

My Windows 7 RC just sails through everything I do with ease. My wife's laptop with XP Home always needs work to keep it running right. Thinking back, I remember XP to be troublesome on my computer.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

MS vs EU, MS forced to offer browser ballot

One of the most amusing things during Windows 7 development was the Internet Explorer story, when MS offered Windows 7 with removable IE, i was very happy and i was thinking sure this will make EU happy as well. It turns out that the EU wanted much more, and even removing IE completely from Windows 7 EU version was not enough for them, they wanted to offer Windows 7 users with all browsers and let the user select!, something i never heard before in the business world (force a company to offer it's competitor products!) MS caved to EU and will offer a browser ballot not only to 7 users but also to XP and Vista users as well within the EU. MS will offer a web page with a browser ballot (www.browserballot.eu) that will allow users to select a browser out of 10 browsers. ( I wonder what will be the remaining 5 browsers ... Maxthon, Flock, Konqueror, K-Meleon and Avant Browser ) The big question is: is this ballot will help the end user and give him more browsers freedom.... in my opinion ..... NO, will unless users are living in a cave, they are aware of other browsers, and can perfectly go download and install them. if not .... these are technology challenged users and this ballot will not help them at all since the users will simply use what they know best .... IE.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

M$ vs Hackers

I notice on some other sites there are leaked updates from MS. Looking through the comments one of the posters was whining that one of the new updates broke his Activation. He said I used Hazar/Orbit 1.5 tool another poster popped up mine is still working and posted pics of it I forget the name. LOL are they to dumb to realize MS is constantly monitoring forums Anybody else think MS has plenty of mines ready to plant when Windows 7 goes public and probably for the rest of the year Or maybe they have some already built in and just need to be turned on Don't you love their attitude something they stole got wrecked by the people they stole it from and they are upset. Joe
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 26th September 2012
View Replies!

Should I update RC to RTM?

So Win7 is now on MSDN Academic iance, which means, as a Comp-Sci student, I get it for free, hooray huzzah etc. What I'm wondering, is should I really bother installing the final version instead of the Release Candidate I've been running OK, I know I'll have to eventually, since the RC has a builtin expiration date, but given that everything is currently working pretty much OK, is there any pressing reason to do a fresh install sooner rather than later Misha
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 26th September 2012
View Replies!

IE8 vs IE7

I liked IE8 in Win7, so installed it in XP Pro. Had to remove it today as DigitalPersona finger print doesnt work in Ie8. So I installed Ie7 instead, which works fine. However it looks pretty much like IE8. What are major diffs here Ed
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 27th September 2012
View Replies!

7137 vs 7232 x64 vs 7260 x86

I've currently got the 64-bit 7137 build of windows 7 installed, and now that a newer rtm build won't be arriving for another couple of weeks, i've been contemplating installing one of the newer builds, either 7232 x64 or 7260 x86. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me the differences between my currently installed build and either of these newer ones, such as speed, bugs, compatibility etc. More specifically i'm wondering whether i would notice any performance or stability issues if i revert back to a 32-bit build, considering it is a newer version than the latest 64-bit build and i only have 2gb's of ram anyway.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 29th September 2012
View Replies!

7137 vs 7201 benchmark results

VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Windows 7 RC updates

Am I correct in thinking that MS is not going to release andy bug fixes for the RC or Builds Other than their just testing the update procces Other than a Windows Defender update, and 5 or 6 Driver updates, I've not seen anything other than the first time I updated.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Hi my name is Lukasz, Windows 7 Rules All vista drivers work after windows 7 update

Hi my name is Lukasz, Windows 7 Rules vista drivers work after windows 7 update I am beta testing it for Microsoft
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

windows update and action center

I don't understand why windows update is not included in the action center. Isn't the action center supposed to include everything to make your PC safer and more secure when I open Action center I would expect windows update to be in the Maintenace section, but instead you have to backtrack to the 'System and Security' in Control Panel and then 'Windows update'. Does the action center still scan for windows updates When I finally did find windows update(by accident) I had about 16 pending updates, one of which was critical and the action center said everything was okay...no need to do anything.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

update jumplist thumbs when minimized?

Why are jump list thumbnails not updated when the program or window is minimized and is their a way to have it do so -Jason
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

updates

becarefull of updates coz my windows 7 7057 was running smooth as hell until i updated now everything keeps becoming unresponsiv and its annoyin as hell and the hard drive has random fits where it randomly slows it down which is a pain in the *** when ur tryin to play cod4 online
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

32 vs 64? Only 2 gigs ram :-(

Have both win7 beta 1 distros - 32 & 64. 3+ year old laptop. amd 64 2.2 gig, dual core. 2 gigs ram - machine maxes out at 2 :-( 4 gig readyboost flash stick - if that matters.... Will 64 be worth installing With only 2 gigs ram max, will it be any better than using 32 Any worse Suggestions and consensus please.... Thanx for the help.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!

W7 vs Vista - Benchmark

I decided to run a benchmark test today just to see how Vista 64bit and 7 64bit held up against each other. I thought maybe other people would be interested in my results, which are (to say the least) pretty interesting. Both tests were run the same day (Dual boot system) and the computer was untouched as far as settings. Specs - Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI CPU - AMD Athlon X2 4800+ 2.5ghz GPU - Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 128bit 1gb HD - Seagate SATA 3.0g/s 250gb 7,200rpm Memory - A-Data DDR2 128bit 800, 4gb Benchmark: PerformanceTest Now, one thing I did notice is that for some reason, my benchmark software runs the tests in 32bit. (I think its time to buy a new/different benchmark program) http://www.swphotovideo.com/images/results.gif
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!