Time to change to W7, which version?

Hi

I have had windows 7 on my spare marchine for a bit, and its very nice. I currently have the public beta. I would now like to upgrade my main rig. I currently have Vista 64bit and want to update to W7 64bit, but which daily build its fastest and most stable in 64bit I most play games (Steam, TF2, HL2DM) that kind of thing). So which version for me Do you reccomened waiting for RC in may, or is nothing going to change Does HL2DM work Its getting old and does have problems with vista

If a torrent link would land in my mail box that would be great! Or even on here.

Posted On: Wednesday 3rd of October 2012 03:24:57 AM Total Views:  266
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

How to change Pic view from name to thumbnails

Using Word 7 and choosing pics to include in document. How do I change the VIEW of my pictures It currently shows the name of the jpeg only. How do I change it all over to thumbnail of the pictures
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 19th September 2012
View Replies!

change action when right clicking on file

When I right click on an image file and select "Edit" it opens the file in Paint and I was wondering how I go about changing that to open "Photoshop" instead.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 19th September 2012
View Replies!

[ACCOUNTS] change user account location?

when i got this computer back after a reinstall, the only account was "owner". i changed it to "james", but it's still defaulting everything to c:\users\owner instead of c:\users\james. how do i change this *** FIGURED IT OUT. ***
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 20th September 2012
View Replies!

Do keyboard shortcuts change with Language Packs?

Hi all. My question is regarding keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-c=copy, ctrl-x=cut, etc.) and Language Packs. I am currently living in Latin America and can only buy the spanish version of Windows 7. I know that if I get "Ultimate", I can download an english Language Pack for free, so it'd be as if I had purchase my copy in the US. However, I'm very used to english keyboard shortcuts, and need to know if installing a Language Pack will also change them. For instance, the shortcut for "bold" in english systems is usually ctrl-b, while on spanish systems is ctrl-n (as the spanish world for bold starts with an n). The english shortcut for "select all" is ctrl-a, while on spanish is ctrl-e (God knows why...). So, if I get the spanish version of Windows 7 Ultimate and install the English Language Pack, will my shortcuts' combinations change to the ones in the english versions of Windows, or remain in spanish's I'd really appreciate any and all help with this question.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 21st September 2012
View Replies!

Is there a key combo that changes screen orientation?

Hi This morning our cat walked across the keyboard of my wifes computer. It changed the screen orientation to portrait. My wife didn't know how to change it back so she had to wait until I got home to fix it. Nothing sharpens your concentration like having your mouse work at right angles. But I've looked and I can't find anyway that the cat could have changed it. This is a Dell Studio lap top running Windows 7 HP. Anyone know how this could happen I can't even count the number of times that the cat has turned off her WiFi! LOL But that at least I can understand. Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

Boot time, unneeded services, and speeding up W7

I"ve read several of the entries here about getting rid of unnecessary services and speeding up boot time...... I've gotten rid of some of the services....... Is there any way to have Windows 7 provide a timing of what it's starting up for every program, service, and/or whatever I'm talking the actual W7 boot, not some partial or safe mode, or whatever. I've been using W7, 64-bit since it became available. On an i7-920 with 12GB of 1600MHz memory and SATA II drives. It works OK, but it's no great shakes in performance and it takes a lot longer to boot than the same system did with XP. I also have a laptop running W7, 64-bit, and it boots A LOT faster..... So, is there something that can give me a file/report showing where all the time is going during boot Amount of time for each component to start 'Cause SOMETHING's gotta be spending a whole lot of time in there... And, is there a RECENT list of services that can be dumped I looked in the entries from last year, but I'd like to find something more comprehensive that would tell me what each service does and the ramifications of stopping it... Anything
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

Long time no see

Long time no see. I have been making websites and stuff. I have to update the cms thought
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 23rd September 2012
View Replies!

Windows 7 fezzes when I change power plans!!

When ever I change power plans from High Performance to Power Saver my computer freeze a little after it changes .. Did a clean install 2 times still the same thing .. Any ideas what is happening I have a Acer Extensa 4420 Amd athlon Dual Core Processor, 2 gigs of ram
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 24th September 2012
View Replies!

Remember, the time to upgrade drivers is near... ;)

gang, So now that Windows 7 is at the RTM stage (and has been for a while) the time to upgrade certain drivers is upon us.. It's important to remember that not every "beta" driver will still work on Win 7 RTM.. Keep this in mind if your going to install the RTM.. I'd recommend doing a full search for all your hardware before you install the RTM to make sure that developers haven't snuck out an updated driver since the Beta or RC because they certainly will start to emerge sooner then later.. Just a friendly reminder for all those who are thinking of installing the RTM and may be having some driver issues.. Cheers for now..
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade questions

I can not find the answer I wanted about the Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade. I ordered the Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional anytime upgrade and wanted to know the following: Does this mean that the next time I needed to reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop, I can use my Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade DVD and do a clean install by using the product key that came with the anytime upgrade Can I use the Product key that came with the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade DVD on another pc or does this key becomes invalid
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

waiting time for iso email?

have ordered windows 7 64bit for my computer at student fee since im in college, i received the first email, where i entered my credit card information, selected 64 bit and all, and then after it said they were going to send me another email for the further details. It has been several hours should i be worried or I have to be patient for a few days sorry for the english mistakes this is not my native language. mark
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

Reduce boot time

FYI: On two different Dell laptops which were recently upgraded to win7 HP from vista, I deleted the digital line detector program (dlg.exe) from the startup folder and saw a vast improvement in the time it takes to boot the system. If your system takes forever to boot, you might try this.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

@ key and " key swapped and cannot change back

I just installed a Dell OEM copy of Win 7 on two computers. One is my Asus P6T Dlx Ver 2 i7 920 rig and the other is a Dell Insperon 1501. Both machines have the " key and the @ swapped. It is driving me mad. I am a student and need these keys to be correctly placed. By the way I am in Washington State, USA and using a standard keyboard. I have tried to set the regions for the keyboard with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Could someone please explain how to change these keys under Windows 7 Thank you in advance.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Anytime upgrade included in RTM?

Is this included with RTM If yes, then all I would need to do to install 7 Home or 7 Pro, etc is just request a new key from Technet for the corresponding product and use my current 7 RTM DVD (I burned one x64 and one x86 RTM DVD, so I assume I would need to use the right disc in order to install the correct OS for the anytime upgrade or actually down grade in this case) Edit - Sorry, I found my answer: No, RTM wouldn't have Anytime Upgrade because it is the Ultimate version. Only W7 versions other than Ultimate will include Anytime Upgrade. Anytime Upgrade (WAU) Similar to Windows Vista Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) program, Windows 7 customers can also enjoy the Windows Anytime Upgrade service (only apply to consumers who bought Windows 7 editions lesser than Ultimate). End users who wish to upgrade to a more premium version of Windows 7 can purchase an upgrade key to unlock features. For example, Windows 7 Home Premium edition can pay to purchase an upgrade product key to instantly upgrade to Windows 7 Business or Ultimate edition. Windows 7 RTM Release Schedule Roadmap and Anytime Upgrade from Vista \t My Digital Life
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 26th September 2012
View Replies!

geting backed up files from w7 to vista

hey all ive installed vista back becuase i have been having probles with vireses and worm holes ive backed up all from windows 7 and whant to get the files from the backup to be restorde to vista but how do i get the files to be put on as the back up drive doesnt show up on the list because its a newer then vista and a there is there a program to restore the file from a new system. can eny on help
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 26th September 2012
View Replies!

details please of running xp on w7

hello, Would some one please tell me if when running virtual Xp on W7 if: XP is using its own drivers or W7 drivers XP is limited to using 3 GB or less memory of the available memory XP can run on a 64bit version of W7. XP is partitioned separately from W7 XP has a speed loss running in virtual.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 28th September 2012
View Replies!

How many times have you installed Windows 7?

Going back as far as the beta build, and earlier for some of you. For me: Laptop: 1x 32-bit XPC-Shuttle: 1x 32-bit HP xw6200: 2x 64-bit HP xw6200: 5x 32-bit Total so far= 9
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 30th September 2012
View Replies!

Are theyre any wireless cards that work with w7?

all, I know its a beta, and I now its for testing, but I have a usb wireless card by sprint, they told me they don't have drivers for windows 7 yet (crap) so after reading a lot of forumns with people who have the same problems and not seeing any of them getting helpful answers, are theyre any wireless cards that do work with windows 7 any at all\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Poll: What's Everyeone's Windows 7 Boot time

Boot time from pressing the startup button to everything finished loading and ready to use on my netbook is 20 seconds. System Configuration: Acer Aspire One with gateway bios mod -CPU: Intel Atom N270 1.6ghz with hyperthreading -Graphics: Intel GMA 950 -Ram: 2x512MB (1 onboard hynix and 1 samsung DDR2 667 CL4) -HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 160GB (1 platter hdd i think) with 65MB/s sequential read on boot files -1x4GB Adata Class 6 "Turbo" with 22MB/s sustained read on PCI express Jmicro multicard reader Optimization: -optimized and defragmented hdd with diskeeper premiere pro -lowered menu delay time -adjusted TCIP max half open to 50 (I know it breaks HTML regulations and puts strains on servers, but that's the only way to fully use my 30Mbit/s connection). Features: Full aero enabled Adobe CS3 Master Collection Suite Microsoft Office Ultimate + Outlook Microsoft Encarta 2009 + Microsoft Math Internet Explorer 8 Foobar 2000 Kmplayer small apps not worth mentioning Windows Experience Index: Processor: 2.2 Memory: 4.4 Graphics: 2.2 Gaming Graphics: 3.0 Primary HDD: 5.4
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Anyone else experiencing very slow log in and log out times in RC1 I just timed it and it takes 5 minutes and 27 seconds from the moment I click log off until it is at the log in screen again. Log on is slightly faster at 4 minutes and 19 seconds. Ugh. The PC I am testing Win7 RC1 on is a Dell 4300 and it is on our domain here at work. When I firs tloaded Rc1 the log on and log off times weren't too bad, but now they are incredibly slow.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!