Start Button Disappears

Occasionally, when on a web page with pictures/video/flash, the screen will "freeze" and have some random colored pixels appear or sometimes it will just go black. Sometimes when this happens the whole system will remain locked. Other times it will recover and I will get a notification balloon saying the the graphics driver has stopped and recovered from an error. I've looked for answers to this on the web and I have seen reference to it being caused by a Windows timeout waiting for a response from the video card. Is there a way to modify (extend) the timeout value to try to prevent this I have the latest drivers. In my case the graphics card is NVidea Quadro FX 1800M on a Dell Precision M4500 notebook (8G RAM). OS: Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit.
Posted On: Saturday 6th of October 2012 02:38:51 AM Total Views:  234
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

[64-bit] Windows 7 not playing start up sound?

Recently, my computer has not been playing the startup sound, and on a side note. when I go to the welcome screen for longer than 10seconds it has this LOUD HIGH PITCHED NOISE that really annoys me. Will someone please help
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 19th September 2012
View Replies!

"Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute."

I ended processes such as lsm.exe and a prompt came up telling me what Windows has encountered a critical problem and that it will restart in one minute. Even though the process has ended (and remains closed), Windows OPERATES PERFECTLY FINE AND NORMALLY. Why does Windows have to shut down when I am ending something that is not necessary for operation of the system I am wondering if there is a way to prevent the shutting down / automatic restarting of Windows when a "critical" system process has ended The computer runs better with this garbage turned off and Windows is having hissy fits for no reason.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

new drive disappears after old drive is renamed

hello. i've installed a new internal drive without any problem. i named the new drive using an available letter and then copied my entire data drive onto it. what i'd like to do is rename the new drive to the drive letter i am currently using for my data so i don't have to remap all my programs (iTunes, Photoshop Elements, etc.). i renamed the old data drive first to free up the letter, which worked, but when i rebooted the computer the new drive disappeared. windows didn't see it at all. i renamed the old drive back to the original drive letter, rebooted, and the new drive showed up just as it was before. anyone know what's going on can i do what i'm trying to do - assign the new drive to the old data drive letter once i free it up should i have done the letter swap before i formatted and copied all the data any help would be appreciated.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Screen Keeps Going Black Then I have To Restart

Greetings! I have a Problem With my Computer, When I'm doing my work my computer screen keep going to a black screen. I use a ViewSonic Screen. Please Help
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 21st September 2012
View Replies!

IE 8 slow to exit out when hitting red "x" button.

It seems to me that ie 8 is slow to close out when hitting the red "X" button,, like it just sitts their and then closes after 20 seconds or so.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Win 7 always starts on E: partition instead of C:

I have a triple boot system from a single hard drive with 3 partitions. Vista Home Premium 32 bit is in the first partition, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit is in the second partition and Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit is in the third partition. When I boot Windows 7 pro it always shows up as drive E:. The other two installations boot in C: as expected. I cannot figure out a way to force Win 7 pro to start in C:. Can anyone help This doesn't usually cause a problem except that I'm trying to install some software that is searching for a file on C: rather than the current drive.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Help! Do i buy a Windows xp home netbook or windows 7 starter edition netbook?

I've just bought a netbook with windows xp home edition for $229 at London Drugs..i have 14 days from purchase date (Friday Dec 10)to change my mind and return it for a windows 7 starter edition netbook (there's only one left on the shelf at the sale price of $279). The difference in cost is about $50 plus tax, but what's more important is...will the starter edition be better than xp home I have a pc laptop already that i will be networking my new netbook with. My current pc laptop is already running xp home. If i go to the store and exchange my netbook for the windows 7 starter edition, will i still be able to network to my current xp home laptop On the microsoft site, there's very little information on window 7 starter edition. Does this edition really have some better features over xp home Will it be worth it I will also be networking a new mac that's arriving in a couple of weeks, will i be able to network a mac with my pc's:-s Both of these netbooks have just 1GB of RAM. Please help.. is xp home better or w7starter better I realize there are differences, like no dvd playback and cant change the desktop to customize it to my own picts and colors, but is that all There's no dvd drive on the netbook anyways, so that's not an issue to me, and i don't care if i have a fancy or boring picture on my desktop. What i want to know is, is w7 starter a better OS, and why
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

Back button works on its own

Brand new Windows 7 laptop, in IE 8 I cannot stay on a web page. Instead it is as if I've hit the back button and the previous page is loaded automatically. This happens within seconds. If I then hit Forward it sometimes stays loaded but more often than not, goes back again. How can I stop ths happening
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 24th September 2012
View Replies!

Customizing the start menu

I've only had Windows 7 on my XP machine for about an hour and I already find the start menu "cumbersome"....... In XP I had program groups under programs. For example there was a Windows Office group that had all the Office programs in it. In W7 I have to go to " Programs" then rummage around until I find the Windows Office group, then open it to get to products. I DON'T want to have to do that........ How do I put the Windows Office group in the "pin" area or SOMEWHERE on the first screen and have it actually act like a program group I've tried a couple different methods and they all cause the Windows Office group to open a Windows Explorer instead of just expanding to show the office programs....... What do I need to do to get this to work correctly
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Problem with starting up Windows 7 after instalation of XP on another hard disk with

Hi. I Have a problem starting up the newest windows after instalation of older windows with dual boot mode. I installed XP 32bit from windows 7 onto another hard disk. Afterwards, It does't allow me to start Windows7. It freezes at "Verifying DMI pool data". After reading some forums, I might have MBR, BCD or more files damaged. I found some solutions but both systems are on the same hard drive. How am I suppose to fix Windows7 when its on a different hard disk. If I start up XP, I can see hard disk where windows7 is but when I want to open it, it says "D: is not formated". I would to need fix the files so I can boot Windows7 to save some of my stuff. If I need to I can erase XP. Thank you for your time. Mark
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Upgrading Vista to Windows7 needing CD to start

Hoping someone can help me as I'm running out of things to try. I upgraded from Vista 32bit to windows7 home premium 32bit.I did the compatibility test before installing and removed everything that they had recommended I do. It installed with no problems and everything ran with no problems. Then I turned my computer off, when I turned it on the next day and everyday since it says, non-system disk or disc error. Replace and click on any key. I then put the win7 disc in and it starts. I do not wish to do this every time I start up. I don't understand where to look for files in registry or somewhere in the bio () So if you can help me please go step by step for this fix. Hopefully I will learn something from this. Thank you
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

W7 doesnt shows all programs list in the start menu

W7 doesnt shows all programs list in the start menu.please help i tried to reinstall upgrading but it doesnt works thanks, Originally Posted by nehoma the answer to this problem is here: http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2009/05/story-of-windows-7-and-empty-all.html.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

Windows 7 keeps reinstalling hardware drivers at startup

Windows 7 keeps reinstalling hardware drivers at startup. It seems like its not every time but every other time. I will boot into windows and the bubble will pop up "installing Drivers." When I open it up it is all hardware things I have already installed. Anyone here seen this problem ECS pt890t-8 intel board. P4 3.2 ghz 2 gig memory dual booted with ubuntu - both on separate hard drives. it reinstalls my ondoard sound My usb My video A couple other things like that. It obviously has the drivers because I manually put them in when I installed it. Any direction you can point me in would be greatly appreciated.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 26th September 2012
View Replies!

Task Manager//startup folder//"Show" does not stick...

Hi all, whenever I boot into W7RC 64bit, I have to manually make the task manager tray icon "show" each time. I don't know how many bazillion times I have reset this to always show but it never sticks. Anyone with an answer please share: this would be a show stopper for me. The icon setting works fine in Vista32 though.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 30th September 2012
View Replies!

disappearing start/task bar

this isn't too critical a problem as a re-boot easily fixes it but... after a few hours of being on, if i leave my computer and it goes into screen saver/auto-sleep mode, upon waking it again, the start bar and task bar disappears. however, the start button is still there. i can click on it and access the program list and everything else on the start menu, but any program minimized, or even just resting open, on the start/task bar is invisible. hovering over it does not make it re-appear, as i said, rebooting seems to be the only thing to get it going again. i have not tried, mostly because i don't know the name of the application, starting it through Task Manager, but instead of reboot, that may get it going again. so my questions are: is anyone else seeing this problem and what is the name of the start/task bar application so i can re-start it through Task Manager or should i just continue to reboot to be safe my computer spec (if useful) Intel core Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33 ghz 2.33 ghz 4gb ram Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS (i have downloaded and updated for Win7 drivers...awesome that they had them ready )
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 2nd October 2012
View Replies!

is there a way to change the links in the start menu?

The links on the right side of the start menu that point to music, pictures, etc... Is there any way to change them My music is on a second drive, and I want that section to include my download folder. I can figure out how to remove things from being displayed there, but not to add new things.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

Can't start backup and Restore

Hi all. I get an error every time I try to start MS backup and Restore. This error message reads: "THe backup application could not start due to an internal error. Server execution failed (0x80080005)" Any ideas on how to resolve this If not , does anyone have any recommendations as to an alternative third party program that will backup a complete system image THanks, CHris
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

IE8 RC1 -- Annoying Prompt when starting - Fixed

Hi W7 32 Bit build 7022 with IE8 RC1. If you get that annoying message whne you start IE8 "Internet Explorer is running with addons disabled" here's how to get rid of it. Close all IE sessions except ONE. Click on Tools====>Internet Options===>Advanced Now click on the RESET button towards the bottom of th popup and follw the instructions. Annoying Prompt has gone. (This fix also works in IE8 RC1 on XP, and VISTA) Note 32 bit versions. I haven't tested IE8 RC1 with a 64 Bit OS yet. IE8 on W7 X-64 is still at BETA level where the problem doesn't occur (other problems however). Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Who doesn't like the startup screen?

I keep waiting for the 4 colored balls to swirl into a nice windows flag with some sorta of twinkle or something but it stays that fuzzy looking flag like it isn't finished or like I am looking through a haze. Sorry I just thought they could have done a better job. (Of course there is still time!!) Oh yeah and it's also kind of small on the screen.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!

Windows Explorer restarting/no icons work/permissions

64bit version Click My Compter, or Control Panel-no page shown: Windows Explorer restarting: same inaction: any ideas\t Reinstalled several times IP35E/4300 cpu Cannot install IP35 drivers-ie network card-therefore cannot get internet Default seach files corrupted \t
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 5th October 2012
View Replies!