Seeing XP from Win7

My computer has 2 hard drives. One has XP and the other has Win 7. Both work great.

Now, when I am on Win XP and brng up my computer, XP is labeled C and Win 7 is labeled F. So far, so good. I can see both drive c and F (XP and Win 7) But, when I am signed onto Win 7 and look in "my computer", I can only see my drive for Win 7 and not see Win XP. Both hard drives do show up in Device Manager in Win 7.

Shouldn't I be able to see both drives from Win 7 like I can see both drives from Win XP

Posted On: Friday 5th of October 2012 12:13:46 AM Total Views:  58
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Windows 7 - 64 Bit Version Experience

Ok, so I decided to try the 64 bit version as well. This is a Gateway 3 GHz dual core with 3 GB of ram and lots of disk. This is what I found: 1. Install process was much slower, taking probably twice as long 2. Way less stuff worked, both hardware and software 3. UAC was on, and the overall experience was very Vista like 4. Seems very slugish compared to 32 bit on same gear This is my first experience with any 64 bit stuff, so it's all new. Ed
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 27th September 2012
View Replies!

details please of running xp on w7

hello, Would some one please tell me if when running virtual Xp on W7 if: XP is using its own drivers or W7 drivers XP is limited to using 3 GB or less memory of the available memory XP can run on a 64bit version of W7. XP is partitioned separately from W7 XP has a speed loss running in virtual.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 28th September 2012
View Replies!

boot from hard disk, usb and how can i remain partition of xp?

can i boot windows7 from usb or from hard disk (which is pluged into my pc and os is intalled on it). How can i do it one thing more, when i am going to install windows7 in my pc then how can i remain my current partitions
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 28th September 2012
View Replies!

file sharing with win 7 and xp question

can anyone point me to a thread or FAQ on the easiest method of sharing my files from my evernal HD connected to win7 with my computers connected to xp. my main pc is running win7 and has an external HD with all my documents and I want to share them with my laptop and netbook that are both running XP BTW there is a bit of a learning curve going from xp to 7 I'm finding it hard to figure out how to adjust some settings. or rather where to go to adjust them
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 29th September 2012
View Replies!

What I miss from xp

In windows explorer, on the left side of the screen, you had a choice of a folder tree pane, or a common task pane. I want my common task pane back! I used this all the time, and I get so frustrated without it. Is there anyway to (A). Turn this on, or (B). Get this request to the programmers I know it's kind of late to make a change like this, but it might could be done. I think this is what I dislike the most about 7. Of course, I get lost with all the libraries, users, and the C drive folders. I mean, I just went through the folder tree, and every folder is listed in 4 different places, why
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 30th September 2012
View Replies!

Positive Win7 7201 64-bit experience!

I was pretty hesitant about jumping onto Windows 7 since I was still running XP. But I couldn't resist the idea of using the next Windows free for a year so I downloaded and installed 7100. I am now up to 7201 and wanted to post what apps I am using successfully. Bear in mind I am using 64-bit also and my principal computer usage is for home admin, email, web use, watching videos/movies, listening to music, controlling my BOSS GT-10 guitar multieffects controller, and a bit of 3-d gaming in COD4. Unless noted otherwise, all of the following apps are installed and working fine. 7-zip 64-bit edition - WinZIP alternative Adobe Reader 9.1.1 BOSS GT-10 driver - installed in VISTA compatibility mode - 64-bit driver for BOSS GT-10 CCleaner - system cleanup tool. Cleans IE, Chrome, and log files OK. Does not have ability yet apparently on either Win7 or 64-bit to cleanup hotfix installers like it can on XP Creative Audio Drivers 2.18.0013 Creative Console Launcher 2.61.09 - these both support my X-Fi Extreme Gamer just fine Diskeeper 2009 Professional - alternative disk defrag - nice and zippy installed in 64-bit mode DU Meter 4.01.R3076 - bandwidth meter - installed in 32-bit mode Google Chrome - installed itself in 32-bit mode GT-10 Librarian - 32-bit patch manager software for BOSS GT-10 GT-10 FxFloorboard - 32-bit patch editor software for BOSS GT-10 MagicDisc 2.7.106 - mounting/accessing DVD images - works fine. This version is listed on the PowerISO web site as having Win 7 compatibility McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise and Anti-Spyware Enterprise 8.7 - both installed native 64-bit mode and work fine MP3Tag 2.43 - MP3 file tag editor, works fine NVIDIA 186.08 drivers for Geforce 8800 GTS card Paint.NET 3.36 - image editor program - installed as 32-bit, works fine Powertab Editor 1.7 - reading/editing softcopy music scores - works fine Quicktime 7.62.14.0 - works fine VUZE 4.2.0.2 - torrent client - works fine ZoomPlayer 6.00 MAX - media player application with ffdshow and other codecs, works great! I have it setup to use the MS EVR renderer and playback and sound are great under 64-bit CoreTemp 0.99.4 64-bit - works great, shows me CPU temp COD4 - nothing to report yet since I haven't tried running it. It wanted to install into the Program Files (x86) directory and when I did that Punkbuster did not update. I forced it to install into the Program Files directory instead and also set VISTA compatibility. I also manually downloaded PBSETUP.EXE from evenbalance and run that from a separate directory rather than using the one that comes with the game. I've been doing this for a couple years now so that I know what version of PB is installed on my system for various games. So that's my list. While probably not required, I ran the installers for all of these 'as Adminstrator' in most cases. I usually ran things without selecting any compatability mode except as noted above.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Internet Explorer 8

After starting windows from a shut-down condition; Upon launch of IE8, I almost always get the dialog "IE closed unexpectedly, do you want to restore your last session" This is is an invalid warning, as I always close IE manually (after clearing browsing history, etc.) before shutting down). This error is one which I experienced in the Beta as well. Rick
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Expiry Date - SIW or MS WINVER -- Who's correct.

Hi all I have a little point of confusion with SIW and Winver for X-64 build 7077. SIW reports expiry date as 6 June 2010 Winver reports expiration date as Mar 2nd 2010. Who'se telling the truth and who'se the "Big fibber". slmgr report as "Permanently activated" so that's no good as a 3rd check. enc shots of SIW and winver. I'm 100% confused now. Whilst we will all probable be using RC before the expiry date anyway the actual date is now a moot point but : I was just curious as to where this information comes from -- I'm not interested in hacking the thing at all but it to me seems strange that an OS "control block" - or piece of data should yield 2 different results. I'm surprised the "Mac Fanboys" haven't jumped on this yet -- run the same problem on Windows with the same data and get a different result each time". Lucky the ATM doesn't variably display my balance according to the vagaries of the weather etc. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 2nd October 2012
View Replies!

WIN7 xp MODE

got to say the xp mode MS have got in the pipe line is great for companies on the fence . Should we get win7 Just a thought the very fact MS are giving this new feature wxpm is it a backward move or not I would have to say yes . In a perfect world things should just mvoe forward but we are not in a perfect world . We will have our new snazzy Windows 7 but with a hark back to the good old days . Notice no attempt to have Vista compatibility mode Maybe that is built in . Just being contentious : ) Thought MS were stopping Windows xp security updates Well I leave it up to you just a lot of thoughts this way on the subject and have you any
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 2nd October 2012
View Replies!

does this mean my Windows 7 will not expire?

I checked on the expiration and found this: I see no days nothing and its activated too. ok bugged me all day What this is, is a RC copy and expires on June 1st 2010 The Beta's expire on Aug 1st 2009
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 2nd October 2012
View Replies!

"Page by E-Mail" and "Link by E-Mail" options are grayed out in Internet Explorer

Resolution This helped me. This happens if a default mail client is not correctly set. Using the Default Programs - Set your default programs, and selecting your mail client (for example, Windows Mail) also may not help. Follow these steps to resolve the problem.Click Start, select Default ProgramsClick Set program access and computer defaultsClick Custom, and select your mail client (for example, Windows Mail)Click OKNote: If User Account Control is enabled, you'll be prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation after following the step 2 above. When the prompt appears, type your password, or click Continue.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

Windows 7 The Bad Experience

Now after installing windows 7 on my machine the windows experience index is not calculating in middel of process it says something like hardware not found. i installed the windows 7 7057 build on desktop with d101 intel mb and pentium D processor 3.06 GHz and mother board was set dead..... on my lappy problem started after installing 7057 build... but on my friends lappy of compaq v6040 even 7000 build is now hanging which was working fine before 23rd of march.. may microsoft has set time bomb activator in step by step method to screw up system ... I am now back to vista & all problems are now solved.. Try Windows 7 on your own risk if your system is under worrenty.........
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

New Windows Explorer

First I would like to say that I'm enjoying Windows 7, it's a big improvement over Vista. The one thing I do not like, is in Windows Explorer every time I open a folder it moves it to the bottom of the window. This is driving me crazy. Is there a way to stop this or revert back to XP style of Windows Explorer
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

W7 (all versions) probs with Windows Experience Indicator (WEI) run WINSAT formal

Hi Just in case you have problems with any version of Windows 7 and running the Windows Experience index (WEI) from the control panel it will sometimes work in Command Level mode (and then you can see the results as per normal in the control panel). Run a command prompt (in elevated mode) -- i.e select command prtompt from accessories, right mouse click and select run as administrator. Then run the following command winsat formal This often works where the "standard method" from the control panel fails. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

X-64 Build 7048 -- Windows Experience Index problem and Other probs FIXED

Hi Finally "Sussed out" the WEI problem. On a Laptop you must download the INTEL media graphics accelerator gor your laptop (in my case the GM 965 chip). You must also download the correct chipset driver (in my case the ICH8 stuff). Ignore the install message saying that the installed driver (Microsoft one) is a newer version that the one currently installed -- you need the INTEL drivers. You can tell if you've got the intel drivers by looking for the little icon Intel (R) graphics media accelerator driver for mobile. Everything now works fine including the "hang" in control panel etc etc. Ensure you have the correct chipset and video drivers even if the Windows "pre-configured" one appears to be OK. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Windows 7 X-64 build 7048 - Expiry in Aug OK Ignore the July expiry popup screen

Hi Guys I've just finished testing the Date expiration facilitgy on build 7048 -- although the popup screen says Expiry in July 2009 it actually REALLY expires on 1st Aug. You can see that by using the slmgr command (Software licensing). I tested it by changing the BIOS date and then booting. (Take an Image before you do this as it won't work afterwards without a lot of hassle merely by re-setting the Bios date again). Note you need to set the BIOS (computer date) and not the date after Windows has booted up -- and also to avoid any "Automatic date detection programs" don't connect to the Internet while you do the test. To check when your copy REALLY expires do (in elevated mode) slmgr -xpr. cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Microsoft - PLEASE fix this AWFUL Multimedia experience

Note to Microsoft Developers Why on Earth do you have to make such a dogs dinner of essentially a decent application. I'm talking about the Windows Media Center. Most TV tuner cards sold these days have a Composite Video input as well as Antenna / cable input. However when you set up the Media Center for your device you can only choose Antenna OR set top box. This means that you can EITHER play TV on it OR take input from your aux. input (set top box, video sender, camcorder etc etc). Once you've set it up then you can't add the secondary source ---- what a dogs dinner -- lots of people have camcorders etc etc they would like to use without having to re-set the entire media center each time. Also you can't even set up the composite input unless you have a remote -- again what a dogs dinner -- if I'm playing a camcorder on a laptop why do I want to mess around with a remote -- and in any case the chances are the remote won't be recognized by the computer anyway. Surely it would be simple on the interface when starting the program to prompt for source Antenna or Composite. C'mon Microsoft -- do you actually get "Real Users" to test this stuff -- anybody would have pointed this defect out in 5 mins. If you are hoping to Integrate Browsing, Multi-media, etc etc you had better get "your thinking hats on again". I like the idea of the TV program guides per region etc which makes the Media Center theoretically better than the 3rd party application software -- but why hobble what must be an easy feature to include. Woof Woof -- as I said what a dogs dinner. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Does the Windows 7 betq 7000 expire?

And if it does what happens when it does and when will it expire
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Windows 7, 64 Bit experiment....

Okay so I'm hearing from some people that 64 bit is the OS of the future, so I decided to try it out. So I downloaded the 64 bit version of W7, bought a new hard drive just for this, installed it, and it runs just as good as the 32 bit version. Not much difference except my sound card drivers won't install because Windows 64 Bit insists on having signed drivers. The drivers for the 32 bit version work just fine. Adobe Audition 3 seems to be working although I have no sound. So here we go again with driver problems. So at this time I'll be going back to W7 32 bit version and use the new hard drive for back up/storage, or future experiments with the W7 64 bit OS. So now I know.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!

Access Denied to my documents in xp when dual booting

So I've been dual booting XP and 7 for at least a month now and everything has been smooth sailing until today. I went to listen to some music when using XP and it says that access is denied to my music as well as my pictures etc. I'm pretty sure I must have changed some setting in 7 that caused this because it has been working up until today. But I have no idea what I did or how to change it back. I can access all these files fine in 7 just not in XP. Can someone tell me how to fix this
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!