Microsoft to make releases more often

I just found this:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/pcs/news/2007/02/12/Microsoft-Windows-Vienna-Coming-2009/p1

He went on to say the monstrous five year gap from XP to Vista had also changed Microsoft strategies for producing operating systems. \t\t\t\tWe realized that there were incremental things that we wanted to do, and significant improvements that we wanted to make in Vista that we couldn't deliver in one release," he explained saying that a shift to a more Apple-like incremental OS update system is on the horizon. Looks like we should get our pocket books ready for spending $200 on Windows in the near future. :P

But then again, I think this is good in a way, as we should be seeing more features coming.
Posted On: Saturday 6th of October 2012 02:23:49 AM Total Views:  209
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

How do I make WMP automatically play the next file?

Is there a plugin or something that makes WMP automatically play the next file Aka, if I have a two files in a folder, a.mp3 and b.mp3, and I am playing a.mp3, a plugin that would make WMP automatically movie to b.mp3 when a.mp3 ends. Without having to right click -> Play with Windows Media Player on the folder every time, or create playlists. My parents are whining about this missing feature. I have told them about the right click on folder -> play with Windows Media Player feature, but they would find it more convinient to select songs from windows explorer, not from WMP, and have WMP move to the next song when the current song ends. PS: Clicking "Play all" also doesn't work. If i decide to select a song from Windows explorer (by double clicking on it), and not from WMP, the ability to automatically play next file vanishes.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 19th September 2012
View Replies!

Windows is not authentic anymore!

Hi everybody! First of all, english is not my first language lol so please be indulgent 1 month before i changed my processor, RAM and alimentation. some weeks after windows added a black screen in background and said : windows is not authentic anymore please re-type the key or buy another. i was like WTF is that!! i re-type my key and it didn't work! what do i have to do \t please help me! it says Security Essentials will be over after 25 days pleaseeeeee! Septik
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 19th September 2012
View Replies!

Disable ONLY Metro or more or not

This will let you disable Metro ONLY or not. Disabling other things, as well or not, is an option. Nice to (still) keep or have Ribbon & Task Mgr & more. WinAero: Downloads / Software / MetroController allows to disable some or even all Metro features in Windows 8 Cheers, Drew
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 20th September 2012
View Replies!

How much difference does fragmentation make?

Hi I know that fragmentation makes a lot of difference. I've had times when the difference between having fragmented files vs un-fragmented files would determine whether some processes would complete or not when generating 3D video. If the files were fragmented it would just hang up after a while. Defragment them and they zip right to the end. But my computer has felt logy lately, and I haven't done a full defragment in a long time. I looked at my C:\ drive and it showed as 11% fragmented. Defragler now has an app that runs a disk transfer test on a drive. So I ran the test several times and got a transfer rate of under 3 Mbs, really slow. Then I did a full defragmentation, and ran the test again, this time I got 30 Mbs, a big improvement. I can feel the difference when I do things on my computer now too, it just feels better. Now it's working on my D:\ drive, it's been at it for hours but it has the backup of my C:\ drive on it too. Anyway if the tests are correct then it's a numerical indicator of how much keeping your computer defraged can help, and that's only 11%, I've seen people how have hard drives are at 40%. Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

I'm lazy so I like to make things easy!

Hi I don't like to navigate to that little icon in the Hidden Icons part of the task bar when I want to unplug something. Here's a way to make it easier. Right click on the Desktop, select new shortcut. Point the new shortcut to .... C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll I put mine on the bottom of my Rocket Dock bar and made an Icon that looks like a stop sign. Now with one click I can open a dialog that shows all the removable media drives that are currently running on my computer, and lets me select and stop any one of them. Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

How do I make a backup of my Windows 7 OS onto DVD

Hi , I have purchased a Dell desktop and this did not come with any windows 7 CDS so I have bought some RW DVDS to make a backup of the OS which is on my pc. I have googled for an hour now and cannot find any smooth process. The only thing found was making a system repair disk, however I want the full Windows 7 OS on a dvd so I can sleep safe knowing if my pc crashes or breaks I have the windows 7 DVD. Can any one point me to a step by step guide, or advise how I do this please. I dont really know much about ISO images but can follow instructions well!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 21st September 2012
View Replies!

How to make Notepad my default text ediitor in Windows 7 OS?

, Is there an easy way to make Notepad my default editor Some how Wordpad is default. I read where I could go into the registry and change it there but I am not comfortable with tapering with the registry. With XP, I could change it very easily. As a side note, presently in Windows 7, when I save text in Wordpad, I normally chose a simple, plain text 'save as' only but it saves my work in the fanciest rich text format with full headers Have saved tries in the other Wordpad choices but I always get the fanciest text format. I bring up simple Notepad and save my work. However, when I call it up again, it is in the fancy rich text Wordpad format I would just as soon save my simple notes in Notepad. Please know, any text I save, I do want to have a choice to save to any of my note programs. I do get rich and fancy sometimes. Thank you for all your great help here!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

How to make your laptop play sounds on lid open/close?

Ok so I had Vista Ultimate on my HP laptop and it used to make sounds when the laptop opened or closed now I have upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate there is any sound...How can I get this back\t
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

Clean Install=no more office. PLEASE HELP

I installed Windows 7 and dont have Microsoft Office anymore. I chose clean install and the install was not clean, it changed my old system files and office into a file called windows.old. I can access this file from command prompt but do not know how to reinstall microsoft office. Does anyone know how i can retrieve office I can reinstall vista, norton and office that came as a package deal from hp and then do a upgrade install of windows 7 because it wasnt clean anyway, but that would be very time consuming and im not sure it would work. PLEASE HELP!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 23rd September 2012
View Replies!

I cant take it anymore!

I have given windows 7 the true benefit of the doubt but as of now I will be going back to XP. I have been running RC build 7100 for about a 6 weeks now and tough I like the look of it the feel is just not there. I want to be able to configure my OS to act the way I want it to. I don't see why that is so hard. I was really hoping for an improvement over XP mainly because of boredom but the fact is that XP gets the job done and it does it my way. Even if win7 was faster, and it was for the first week, I am simply more productive in XP. I have always supported Microsoft's OS but Vista and 7 are forcing my hand to consider the alternative. I think I'm as about as frustrated with win7 as I was with Ubuntu or the time I tried a hackintosh install. Now I'm not going to go into detail of my disappointment in Vista and 7 I just want to bitch a little before I go. Oh. and I hope those Microsoft stocks work out for you. Let me know how that goes.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

When will amazon get more

So at the moment amazon UK is sold out of Home Premium Win 7 E. I have been refreshing for a hour with no new ones avalible. Any ideas when more will be avalible Since they have got to have loads sinces its only day 1.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 27th September 2012
View Replies!

Ms to make money out of us

Yes it is true .
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 27th September 2012
View Replies!

can someone tell ms to make a lite version?

I would like to see windows 7 actually be all that it can be because it's been many years since ms actually put a product out that I consider to be good enough to grace my machine, I'm just saying, take off some of the stuff that aren't necessary and make it downloadable but not have it be something that gets forced down your throat because it's an ms product. I have one of them asus eee and there is not enough space for the win 7 and the rest of my junk to be on there, if say they could just cut back on the stuff that's on windows and only put essentials on there, wouldn't it reach more markets and hold more value just a thought, I would think they'd want to sell as many as they can to as many computers that they can, I run linux on my eee because it's simply more efficient then the windows products...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 28th September 2012
View Replies!

Games menu should be more like Pictures/Music etc

The games menu item is not as flexible as the Pictures, Music and Documents menu items. It seems to be more hardcoded into the system. A few things I noticed: -Right-clicking on Games in the windows menu doesn't show the same options as the Documents, Pictures, and Music menu items. For example there is no properties menu item. I found this extremely useful for the other menu items as I like change the default folders to search in other areas. There is also no option not to show games in the navigation pane. This can be done with Music etc. -Games is not a library just like Music and Document and Pictures. I guess what this means is that I have no way of adding games. Anywhere in the system I can right-click on a folder and choose to add to library for Pictures etc. For games if I don't install a game in windows, it will not add it to the games menu item. A lot of games aren't necessarily installed through windows. Also if I choose to 'Hide this Game' from the games menu I have no idea how to get it back. I guess instead of adding a folder though you would right-click on an exe... -I don't really want microsoft as my gaming provider. I don't want gaming providers at all actually. It just clutters up the menu when you open it. Also if you are a gaming provider why not include games other than things like backgammon and cards. I'm a gamer, I like real games not the type that are free with windows. Everytime I install windows I have to go through the hassle of removing a bunch of games I'll never play. Again this assumes you fix the issues above. Basically as a user I want to be able to customize the games menu item. Otherwise it is of no use to me and I'm just going to find a way to remove it completely. If you can't fix all the issues above at least allow it to be removed from the start menu...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Anyway to make this bigger?

Is there anyway to make the user account display picture on the log-on screen bigger Possibly a registry setting
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 2nd October 2012
View Replies!

Windows 7 seems slugish even though I've got more than enough...

So, I decided to install and test out Windows 7 seeing how I've already bit the bullet and bought Vista Ultimate OEM. I know I'm **** out of luck with that money, but I wanted my new computer to be all legit and what not. Anyways, I am coming from a Linux Distro and the Windows 7 install went well, but I noticed that it's a bit slugish. Even Vista Ultimate was actually a LOT faster than what others say, but I know it's because of my computer. Anyways, anyone think they could help me figure out what might be causing the sluggishness in Windows 7 Problem: Windows 7 is sluggish. Programs like Firefox, Opera, etc all open slowly and not just open like they do in Vista or Linux. There's a good 1-2 seconds that it takes to open even the small browsers and start menu. I've checked to make sure all my hardware drivers are up-to-date and they are, so I'm at a lost as to why it's so slugish. I know it's a BETA version, but come on, it can't be this slow for . My computer details are below. CPU: Intel C2D E8400 @3.0ghz stock Overclocked to 3.87ghz RAM: 8gb G.Skill DDR2 OS: Windows 7 64-bit Would it be possible that my hard drive is wearing down I doubt that because I just have built this computer just a month ago, but I have reformated and formated about 40 times. Yea, I can't pick a OS between Linux and Vista/Win7 and I refuse to have both Linux and Windows dual/tri-booted on my computer at the same time. I guess the games got the best of me, heh. Anyways, anyone else have any ideas of what it could be that's causing me to experience the sluggishness EDIT: One more problem. Whenever I minimize Firefox or another browser Window Live Messneger pops up. Is there a way to keep WLM from doing this or no because it's seriously annoying. I thought there was a way to send WLM to the system tray, but apparently there's not. Another problem. When I had linux all 5 of my speakers worked perfect. Now that I'm on Windows 7, just the left and right work. I've tried using my motherboard cd to install the drivers for them, but it's not supported by Windows 7 says the cd. Everything else is fine though.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

Sinofsky: Windows 7 RC releases April 10th

From Neowin: There have been so many dates flying around concerning the upcoming Release Candidate for Windows 7, and it's beginning to become a daily subject in the blogosphere. Just when you thought that we were going to see a Windows 7 RC by the end of February, a trusted source within Microsoft has informed Neowin that the RC will not be ready by the end of February. At this time, Windows 7 RC is internally being tested and the official release date is set for April 10, 2009. The Windows team is right on schedule with development, and if there are no significant problems over the next few weeks the April 10, 2009 release date will remain in tact. Not much information is available at this time. We're uncertain if the release will be a world-wide, and Microsoft is expected to do more testing before releasing a RC build to the public. With that in mind, TechNet and MSDN subscribers should be the first to receive the RC build. A recent email conversation between Paul, over at GeekSmack, and Steven Sinofsky, Microsoft Senior Vice President of Windows, revealed that there have been over 500,000 suggestions since the public launch of the Windows 7 Beta. Sinofsky mentioned that, "recently we've seen people talk about 'RC Builds' and the like. First, all builds since the beta are RC builds since by definition that is the next milestone. But by far the most humorous element has been that the build numbers blogged about are higher than our current build. Today's build is 7046, but it hasn't completed yet :-)." Other than the UAC fixes that were highlighted earlier this month, not much is known as to what has been changed or fixed in these internal builds, we'll keep you up to date with more information as it comes our way. Update (1:14 PM -6 GMT): Emil Protalinski over at Ars Technica has apparently spoke with Steven Sinofsky, and he has said, "The build will be available broadly". This isn't a normal thing for Microsoft to do, however we will wait and see what Microsoft has in store for us in the coming weeks.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

logging in makes another PC to go down

I've got a curious problem. Perhaps it's a simple and known thing but to me it's new. I've got to PCs running W7 build 7000 ultimate x64 and connected through a router. After I log into PC_A due to a restart or shut-down (never tried switching user) it makes PC_B to restart apparently from power failure!!! It doesn't happen anything to PC_A if I log into PC_B. Both computers have the same two user accounts. Has it anything to do with wake on lan (or usb or keyboard) the board on the crashing PC is a Asus P5QL Pro. thnaks
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 5th October 2012
View Replies!

32 Bit and more than 4 G Ram

I know about the limit of 4 Gig ram on 32 bit system and wondered about this utility Tweak UI For Windows Vista : Ultimate Windows Tweaker From WinVistaClub In performance there is a setting for 4 or more gigs of ram in Vista x 86. I only have 64 bit Vista so I don't know if this would work. I haven't tried this program in Windows 7 yet. Joe
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 5th October 2012
View Replies!

7 things or more that Eye Love 'bout it-Or a tale of rekindelled Love.

Where to start, the beginning,the best place usually. Luve---The Quick install--25 minutes. Luve---The Boot screen. Luve---The Fast boot--50 seconds--including sign-in. Luve---The Taskbar--and it's lock and pop-up abilities. Luve---The Start button--all smouldering and touch able.(ooh Matron!) Luve---The Speed--snappier than a Crock. Luve---The lovely Icons. Luve---The Themes. And in the End--a nice flouncy Shut-down. Niggles---The public release-more a Train- cra-- Nope compare to a plane- crash landing on a River(guess)ok no one killed in either,but one was handled Superbly,the other was just a Plain Crash!!! Niggle---Freeze of printer -- windows update for drivers box. So up to now virtually a niggle free desert then,for me I hasten to add. this Loveliness,on a Beta,on a Celeron processor with 512Mb's,it seems like the real Fing to me. Does any one,sane or otherwise,Concur. SIGNING OFF LOVE FEST. SHUTDOWN__AND COUNTI------------------------------------------------------------------
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 5th October 2012
View Replies!