Hands up those who've wiped their original OS. How to Move On

Hi
I hope that NONE of you has irreparably wiped your original OS since if there is no Upgrade path from Beta 7 to the Final 7 you'll either have to re-install your Old OS to get an upgrade version or have to buy a totally new version which will of course cost considerably more.

For example a Brand new copy of Microsoft Office 2007 (Enterprise) in the UK costs more than a decent Laptop plus Student edition 2007 thrown in. Considerable difference in price even for an upgrade.

If you've been imbecelic enough to wipe your OS I'd look at buying an OEM edition of Vista or XP -- don't install it just yet but install it ONCE ONLY for the W7 upgrade.

Note an OEM copy unlike a normal retail version CAN'T be transferred to a new computer - that includes a computer where you've upgraded the Mobo. You might get away with it if just the processor has been upgraded but you can never rely on whose at the other end of the Microsoft Activation Lines.

Cheers
jimbo
Posted On: Friday 5th of October 2012 12:16:17 AM Total Views:  67
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Hi my name is Lukasz, Windows 7 Rules All vista drivers work after windows 7 update

Hi my name is Lukasz, Windows 7 Rules vista drivers work after windows 7 update I am beta testing it for Microsoft
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

windows update and action center

I don't understand why windows update is not included in the action center. Isn't the action center supposed to include everything to make your PC safer and more secure when I open Action center I would expect windows update to be in the Maintenace section, but instead you have to backtrack to the 'System and Security' in Control Panel and then 'Windows update'. Does the action center still scan for windows updates When I finally did find windows update(by accident) I had about 16 pending updates, one of which was critical and the action center said everything was okay...no need to do anything.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Windows 7 Superfetch

Superfetch does not seem to be loading commonly used programs & system files into memory at startup the same way Vista does. Isn't Windows 7 supposed to be faster I have a high end PC and after running the release candidate on here for the past week I have noticed that Vista actually ran faster. I checked the registry and superfetch is set to 3 (load everything). Not sure what's up with this. It's a bit of a disappointment.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

update jumplist thumbs when minimized?

Why are jump list thumbnails not updated when the program or window is minimized and is their a way to have it do so -Jason
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

Libraries and homegroup?

Can anyone please tell me why libraries and homegroup are useful in W7 I understand it is "easier" to setup, but is there anything else I already have my files organized in folders (Audio, Documents, Programs, Pictures, Videos). Is there any difference if i set that folder as a library Is Homegroup any different than normal file sharing (when everything is setup). The only difference i noticed is that there are no write permissions (at all, except public folder, but that is not even the same folder) when using homegroup.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

How to let the RC installation allow the upgrade?

Hi. Yesterday I read (either in this forum or somewhere else, maybe in a torrents site) how to make the installation of Windows 7 build 7100 RC allow the upgrade from a beta. Now I need it and I can't find it...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

Need Help: to upgrade or not

Dear all, I need some advice with regards to windows7, currently my rig OS is in windows vista ultimate 64 bit/windows XP dual boot. Here is the Spec: Intel Q9400 2.6G Processor MSI P6N SLI NForce 650i Motherboard 8 GB (2GBX4) Kingston DDR2 800Mhz Memory Inno3D GTX 260 OC Video Card ( X2 - in SLI mode) Seagate 160 GB Hard Disk (X2) I have some reservation to upgrade to window7 probably dual boot windows7/windowsXP for I could not found a windows7 driver for my motherboard (chipset). Does using the windows7 built-in driver for my motherboard could still support the MB capabilty to use dual video card (SLI mode)
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

upgrade programs

is there any news on the upgrade programs i'm running windows xp and was hoping for a discount. also, my dad is running vista and can't stand it, so it looks like he'll be wanting to upgrade, too. is there any possibility of being able to use one copy across the board operating systems are expensive....
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

updates

becarefull of updates coz my windows 7 7057 was running smooth as hell until i updated now everything keeps becoming unresponsiv and its annoyin as hell and the hard drive has random fits where it randomly slows it down which is a pain in the *** when ur tryin to play cod4 online
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Lock up your bios !

New Bios attack renders anti-virus useless - vnunet.com Dont become infected take precautions
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Vanishing files after Vista to Windows 7 upgrade

If this problem has been identified in another thread, then please accept my apologies and redirect me. I did a search and was unable to find anything, and consequently am posting this. My system has separate physical drives. One is for all system and program files. The other is for all documents and media files. When upgrading from Vista Ultimate 32 to Windows 7 32 all appeared to go well. However, now, the "document drive" has a problem. According to the Properties tab, all of my files remain intact. That is to say, the same amount of disk space remains as did prior to the upgrade. The folders are all there, but they are empty. It is as though Windows 7 deleted the files during the upgrade. I have removed the document drive and tried it on another machine with the same results, whether I examine it with Windows XP, or Vista, or Windows 7. The files appear to be missing, although the space that they would be occupying remains unavailable. I have tried a few file recovery utilities, both freeware and trialware, but none find the files. Fortunately, some of the files are backed up, but many are not. I have Windows 7 64 and 32 bit versions, Windows XP (and various Linux variants) running smoothly on other machines. I have not experienced this problem when doing a clean install, and really do not understand why the upgrade would affect a separate drive, unless it has to do with links from the system drive that are a part of the upgrade process... Windows 7 has performed flawlessly, with the exception of this one exasperating problem. If anyone else has experienced this or something similar and has discovered the cause and has a solution, I would appreciate it.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Windows 7 beta upgrade won't be easy

Windows 7 beta upgrade won't be easy | Beyond Binary - CNET News Those who want to move from the beta version of Windows 7 to the upcoming "release candidate" version will be able to do so, but it is going to take some work. In a blog posting on Tuesday, Microsoft said that it is offering two options for going from the beta to the newer test version, which is due shortly. Neither is all that easy. The recommended approach, Microsoft said, is to go back to Windows Vista and upgrade from that. Microsoft asked testers to follow this approach as it will help the company get more feedback on the experience that the typical user will have in going from Vista to Windows 7. Those who really want to upgrade directly from the beta to the release candidate will be able to do so, but only using a series of convoluted steps. "We know many people (including tens of thousands at Microsoft) are relying on the pre-release builds of Windows 7 for mission critical and daily work, making this step less than convenient," the company acknowledged in its blog. "We're working hard to provide the highest quality release we can and so we'd like to make sure for this final phase of testing we're supporting the most real world scenarios possible, which incremental build to build upgrades are not. At the same time on the beta has been so great we wanted to make sure we at least offered an opportunity to make your own expert and informed choice about how to handle the upgrade." The company also cautioned that the same hassles will apply for those moving from the release candidate to the final version of Windows 7. Please move to news section
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Can't start backup and Restore

Hi all. I get an error every time I try to start MS backup and Restore. This error message reads: "THe backup application could not start due to an internal error. Server execution failed (0x80080005)" Any ideas on how to resolve this If not , does anyone have any recommendations as to an alternative third party program that will backup a complete system image THanks, CHris
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Windows 7 Build 7048 - Need to install via setup.exe

Hi I tried making a Bootable DVD from the 7048 build and then do a Clean install -- this fails with "A citical file couldn't be loaded" -- I KNOW my DVD is genuine so I assume that it's probably something with the way I was trying to create the BOOT record. I stripped the boot record off a VISTA disk (probably an error). However I just installed build 7022 on the desktop (64 bit version) as a CLEAN install --- didn't install anything else and then did an immediate upgrade to build 7048 . This is almost as good as a clean install . This worked fine. Still can't get the Windows Experience to work however. Cheers jimbo Update -- My DVD was faulty Create the Boot rec from the X-64 build 7022 version and then use Ultraiso to create your bootable build -7048 DVD works fine (Boot rec from build 7000 probably would work as well) Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Windows 7 X-64 build 7048 - Expiry in Aug OK Ignore the July expiry popup screen

Hi Guys I've just finished testing the Date expiration facilitgy on build 7048 -- although the popup screen says Expiry in July 2009 it actually REALLY expires on 1st Aug. You can see that by using the slmgr command (Software licensing). I tested it by changing the BIOS date and then booting. (Take an Image before you do this as it won't work afterwards without a lot of hassle merely by re-setting the Bios date again). Note you need to set the BIOS (computer date) and not the date after Windows has booted up -- and also to avoid any "Automatic date detection programs" don't connect to the Internet while you do the test. To check when your copy REALLY expires do (in elevated mode) slmgr -xpr. cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Backup/restore useless

It is a good idea to have some kind of backup/restore tools in OS. The way Microsoft has made it has been totally useless and even dangerous. In every version of MSDOS or Windows the file format of the backup has been different. Backup made with WinXP SP2 can not be opened with WinXP SP3. We have lost a lot of data because of these B/R programs. In W7 it seems that the format is again something proprietary. The only really recoverable file format for backup is still plain linear. If it takes too much space, use standard ZIP. ZIP looses only some of the redundancy but not recoverability. Still you got to remember that packing and packeting files lessens the recovery probability, because redundancy of data and info about the location of data is lost in the process. At least there should be a switch to select a format: MS Prorietary / Plain / ZIP Also there should be a tool to delete the backup.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Want W7 but not ready to upgrade from XP - Make XP look like W7

Hi The same guy who bought you the VISTA TRANSFORMATION PACK (Makes XP look like VISTA) is still working on making XP look like W7 with a Windows 7 Transformation Pack. Not quite ready yet but if you like the idea of the project, and want to have the look and feel of W7 whilst still using your fast snappy Windows XP give this guy encouragement to complete the job. Here's his work in progress. Windows X's Live | Windows Seven project, still alive I've been using The VISTA transformation pack and my colleagues are always saying "How on earth do you get VISTA to run so fast! Even the Logon looks like VISTA starting up. Their mouths just go agog when I say it's actually XP made to look like VISTA and of course as the OS has much much less overhead it will run snappier even when using "Aero glass" like effects. The transformation pack so far looks good. I'll have a machine or 2 running "Proper Windows 7" after it comes out but I will still need XP for some work applications and hardware, even after the W7 final appears for a few months at least. No reason to keep your Desktop looking Old and outmoded even running an OS that's 7 years old. I've tried the Vista transformation pack on a Netbook running XP -- Looks very very impressive even though W7 loads fine on these netbooks as well. At least with XP you are still getting proper updates etc for a while. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

360 backups

has anyone used the windows iso burner to burn a 360 game\t
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Who doesn't like the startup screen?

I keep waiting for the 4 colored balls to swirl into a nice windows flag with some sorta of twinkle or something but it stays that fuzzy looking flag like it isn't finished or like I am looking through a haze. Sorry I just thought they could have done a better job. (Of course there is still time!!) Oh yeah and it's also kind of small on the screen.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!

OK I give up -- I can't Break build 7022 (X-32)

Hi I've been trying to Break W7 build 7022 -- for ALL the apps I use (even legacy XP stuff for which there are no known VISTA / W7 updates) Build 7022 works 100%. Note this was an upgrade (XP===>VISTA ULTIMATE (32 Bit) ==>W7 Build 7022. Ony issues are 1) Can't uninstall Microsoft Powertoy (Deskmanager) -- The XP virtual Desktop manager -- won't run (of course) and its my fault as the VISTA compability told me to uninstall it before upgrading -- so I'll have to delete it manually from the Registry. 2) Vmware workstation -- Vmware told me a new version was available -- upgrade gave me network problems with the Virtual Ethernet adapters (vmnet0 - Bridged and vmnet8 NAT). Uninstalling and doing a fresh install of VMWARE workstation cured the problem. You still need to "Hide" the __vmware_user__ user id from the logon screen - same method as in build 7000. So as far as I'm concerned Build 7022 is a real WINNER. Now to play with the 64 bit version -- although AFAIK there isn't a later build than 7000 -- any news -- Kyle perhaps \t. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!