Did you know there was a free test drive for Win7?

Pretty easy and cool, I've been poking through it lately, and it has videos and test drive environments that are pretty cool. Check it out:

http://tinyurl.com/yamn6fc
Posted On: Saturday 22nd of September 2012 04:47:14 AM Total Views:  171
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

Sharing a funky gauge w/ you...

I think the default CPU Meter Gadget sucks. I have, instead, for a long time, been using the ALL CPU Meter. To it I have, also, been using Core Temp so the core temps would, also, show on the ALL CPU Meter. Was a wee bit of a pain, few steps to enable this part w/ any boot-up. Well, I've just found a really funky (& better) solution... Gives, @ least, all the same stuff & options but, (now) the core temps are there, also, on the gauge, inherently, w/out any additional 'steps' needed to have them showing. Take a look. You can find it here as, Core Temp Gadget 2.7: http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/addons.html I quite like the Carbon Fiber option for its colour. Cheers, Drew
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 19th September 2012
View Replies!

I didn't know that it worked this way...

Hi I posed a few days ago someplace that I found that defragmenting my C:\ drive gave me a real increase in read speed. From about 3 Mbs to 30. I defraged my B:\ drive (a partition of C:\) and today I tacked D:\ it was a long haul, mostly because it has the compressed back up of C:\ on it. I went to the movies and then out to dinner, but when I got home is was finally done. Here's what I did't expect, the read write speed on my D:\ drive went clear up to 60 Mps. So I checked my C:\ drive, it had also increased to about 60 Mbs as did my B:\ drive. It would appear that the one large fragmented file on my B:\ drive was slowing down my whole computer. I never thought that even one drive could effect the others that much. Maybe this is something else going on but my computer is running noticeably better all round. When I get time I think I will update my backups on me external drives and remove the ones on D: so I don't have to deal with it on a day to day basis. Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 20th September 2012
View Replies!

How to catch thieves who steal your technology

Thought the word on this could do with spreading. Came across this via Click on the BBC. It is an open source Anti theft software. It can be placed on 3 machines free of charge, sufficient for most households. There are pro versions for more machines / business. Runs in all flavours of Windows, Mac, Linux and android / iOS. It takes less than 5 minutes to setup. Link: Open source anti-theft solution for your laptop, phone and tablet Prey Read the FAQs: FAQ Prey Mike I've not tried it myself as (a) I've not got a laptop. (b) No-one in their right mind would steal my old phone. Original Post: How to catch thieves who steal your tech « How-To Geek Forums
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Well I finally did it!

I hopelessly crashed my computer. I was trying to install the Windows 8 Preview and it did exactly what I was afraid it would do. It started overwriting my Windows installation without asking me where I wanted to install it. The Windows 8 install failed, so I tried the rollback option and that failed too. So I put in my Ghost disk and tried restore my C:\ drive and that failed too. Finally I had to go to the system restore disks that came with my computer. That got it up and running and I can read all the stuff in my Ghost backups on my external drive. So I can restore stuff from there, but I still have a lot of stuff to re-install. of my data is on my D:\ drive and wasn't effected so I haven't lost any files or anything and some of the software that I had installed there still runs. But I've got a lot of work to do. So I may be back with questions there are things I had installed that I can't even remember. Does anyone know where the Google Chrome favorites are stored, I probably have them backed up it I can find them. And I can't seem to find a restore for my desktop I had stuff there that may be lost unless I can find someplace else that it actually saved it. Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Doctoral Research on Microsoft: do you want to participate in it?

Hi ! My name is Matteo and I am a doctoral student at the University of Pisa. I am new here and I got the permission from your administrator to post a message about my research. I think you might be interested in it! I have been studying the relationship between individuals and their favorite brands for the last two years. By the way, I have a few questions that I would like to ask on Microsoft, and I am hoping that I can get in contact with some of you who are fans of this brand! In particular, I am looking for about 15 people to complete a short survey that will take no more than 10 – 15 minutes, and I am able to give a $10 gift certificate to Amazon to those who participate. If you’re interested in helping me out, please write me at makeau(at)gmail.com and I'll send you the survey. It's really easy to complete it! Thank you for your attention!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Question about making your own Widows Disk?

Hi I was thinking about all of the people who post and complain about not getting a Windows 7 disk with their computer. I just answered one yesterday from someone who wanted to hack the restore partition and remove all the bloatware because they didn't have a disk to do a clean install of Windows 7 and clean up their computer. I installed Windows 7 from a disk made from a downloaded .ISO file when I beta tested Windows 7. Is there any reason that people who didn't get a Windows Disk with their computer and have a Legitimate serial number can't download an .ISO file from Digital River and create their own Windows 7 disk. And if they do will it have all the functions of a Microsoft disk, i.e. all the system restore features etc. If there is no reason not to do this I will type up an outline of the process with links etc. I'll add it to my info sheet of things I insert into posts here. Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 21st September 2012
View Replies!

How many of you are want to beta test Windows 8?

Hi I beta tested Windows 7 and it was a lot of fun. I ran it dual boot with XP, but once I installed 7 I almost never went back. I'm a chronic beta tester anyway, I've beta tested more online games then I can remember going back to the original Asheron's Call. Last year I did DC Universe and Rift. I'm thinking about doing the same with Windows 8 and 7 together. How many of you are planning on being one of the first to run W8 Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

If you haven't noticed this feature check it out!

Hi Everyone I only discovered this feature recently. I love this it lets you see at a glance exactly what problems your computer and software is having at a glance. Shows just which apps fail the most and whats going on with updates etc in a very easy to understand format. Just click on the icon in the chart to get a report. You can see how to get there in the address bar. Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Should you install Linux alongside Windows?

I have been experimenting with my Netbook for a week. I have been trying out 5 different brands of Linux installed alongside my Windows 7. Ubuntu Netbook,Kubuntu Netbook,Xubuntu,Linux Mint and jolicoud. As I could not install Ubuntu,Kubuntu and Xubuntu with Wubi installer,I installed them on Virtual Clone Drive which I found out how to do from the How-To Geek website. I also installed Linux Mint this way-Virtual Clone Drive as well. But Jolicloud Express was installed on my hard disk C drive without clone drive with the Windows installer. Here is how I did. Ubuntu-well first of all I could not connect to the Internet wireless broadband because it never detected it -same problem with Kubunt,Xubuntu and Linux Mint. Except that in Linux Mint I did in the end, but I had to plug my cable in before it found my Wifi but all the others did not find it. Ubuntu,kubuntu, Xubuntu- I could only use wired connection because they never detected my wirless network and would not let me download the drivers.So these 3 brands of Linux were not usable. Linux Mint-I found having to enter my password and user name most irritating every time I booted my computer and I had to enter my password every time I did some thing like install new packages or change the settings. There was no way to disable this like there is on Windows. Jolicloud-was the only one who found my Wifi connections right away and connected me without any problems, and I did manage to disable having to enter my password. Every time I booted my computer by ticking enable automatic log in. But I still had to enter my password every time I installed packages or changed settings. And when I tried to change this in command prompt.I found I could not install software unless I logged into the root and user account settings-even more irritating and annoying. Also in Linux you are supposed to be able to download and install software from the Internet. But I found I could not install anything. Mozilla Flock web browser would only install as a file which I had to download EVERY time I wanted to use it. I could not get it to install the way it should as a web browser like it does in Windows. Even though I installed the Linux version. In fact in Linux you can only install the web browsers and software that are in the packages, nothing else. Also in Jolicloud a lot of the web browsers I did install from the packages did not work. Aorora browser would not let me sign into my Google account and no matter what I did I could not fix this problem. But the Windows version of Aorora browser is working normally and I can sign into Google and my other accounts. In jolicloud Midori browser crashed, other web browsers were out of date-Firefox 3.6.3 for instance should have been updated to 3.6.12 the current version. Other web browsers did not work and Dillo and Epiphany did not because they are now discontinued. But on all of the Linux brands I tried, all of the web browsers were out of date and as I could not install anything from the Internet I could not update them. Also Jolicoud took up a lot of space on my hard drive. So windows users who are thinking of replacing you operating system with Linux,my advice is don't. Because I installed all of the Linux brands alongside Windows in removable installation,I was able to uninstall them all in Windows uninstall programs. But had I had been stupid enough to go for full installation and replaced Linux with Windows,then I would have been stuck. With an operating system that does not work and is not in the least bit user friendly.And installation alongside Windows is not without it's risks. As I have read that if things go wrong, Windows can be wiped from the boot system,leaving only Ubuntu or Linux on the computer. And if you only have a Netbook like I did,how do you get Windows back Netbooks do not have a CD drive. True,you can plug a CD drive into the USB socket via extension lead and the other end to the CD drive and run it that way. But you still need to get the Windows CD if you have not backed up your Windows and files to a CD.So it is risky to install another operating system alongside windows. Windows IS very user friendly. YOU control how you use it and how it is run. You do not have to have any log on password or any security at all unless you want it. YOU choose what software you want and it is quick and easy to install. And with over a thousand web browsers and software compatible with Windows there is plenty of choice. Some people install Jolicloud because of the different web apps. and video chat messengers,but you can get all of these on Windows. And Windows search with it's tutorials and help guide about how to use and fix your computer,is an asset to Windows users. And Windows will troubleshoot any software that is not working and fix it by automatically.And you can download additional fix it tools from the Microsoft website and they have a security tool now that you can scan your computer with. Well,you do not get anything like that with Linux. Windows is used by all offices and public computers,such as Internet cafes, libraries and homes. While Linux is not so well known and used. But if it were the other way round and all computers were made in Linux,nobody would use a computer. Linux is definitely not user friendly,difficult to use and you do not control your computer,it does. As you cannot do the things that you want such as remove password,install software from the Internet and other things that you can do in Windows. Windows is user friendly especially Windows 7 but so are the other versions of Windows,Windows XP,Windows Vista,but Windows 7,the most. Windows 7 does have clear settings listed in the control panel index, making it easy for any beginner to use. But there is NO WAY Linux can ever rival or replace Windows,unless it changes and becomes more user friendly and allows users more control in settings. Maybe linux should take a tip from windows. As Windows has deficiently got it right but Linux has got it wrong. And I have customised my Windows 7 to make it the way I want it and I have even successfully removed Internet Explorer browser. But my advice is to stay with Windows. You are much better off. Andrea Borman., You really should have you Windows install imaged as a hedge against disaster. There are paid tool to do this and several free tools. I use Clonezilla live run from a USB key. It's free and I've posted a guide to its use in another forum. A guide to using Clonezilla - Scot's Newsletter Forums The Clonezilla .iso can be installed on a thumb drive using Unetbootin, mentioned in my earlier post. You would ignore the distribution field and click the radio button for diskimage and browse to the Clonezilla .iso downloaded previously. Once the image is created and saved to an external drive all you have to do is restore the image using Clonezilla. this is detailed in my guide.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

What was your first computer?

Hi Guys Since this is Windows discussion I'm interested in what had for their first computer, and when and why you got it. My first computer was a Radio Shack Model 100 or something like that, running Windows 3.1. I had previously worked on one barrowed for the summer from the Grand Rapids school system. It had a 120 mb hard drive, 4 mb of ram, and a 25 Hz processor. As I remember is cost about $900 and had a 14" super VGA (800 by 600) monitor. It had a 5.25 and a 3.5 floppy drive, and I added a sound card, my first foray into the inside of a computer. I don't even remember what it had for a video card. I had a black and white HP scanner and an HP laser printer. I ran Adobe Photoshop 2.5, Coral Draw, and Aldus PageMaker on it along with Ultima The Black Gate, my first computer RPG, and I had a Chess program. It was really slow! My friend Paul saw mine and went and bought one too, so he could play Ultima on it. He's 75 now (I'm 72) and we still play Lord of the Rings Online together several times a week while we talk on Skype. I went with a PC instead of an Apple because the GR school system gave me a copy of PageMaker for the PC, (it was expensive to buy) and a set of disks for Photoshop as part of a deal to do some work for them. I've been upgrading from these original numbers ever since. It's amazing how much things have changed. My first computer had one hundred twenty megabytes of hard drive space, my new computer has two million, three million if you count the external drives. I never even imagined computers like the ones we have today or computer games like Dragon Age II which I have just started playing. The first 3D game I had was Tomb Raider and Ive been a Lara Croft fan ever since. I've played every TR game ever made multiple times. What did other people have for their first computer, and what did you do with it Mike
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Yes,you CAN uninstall Windows Media Player and replace it with a player of your choice.

I have broken many rules in terms of computing and will probably continue to do so. For example on Windows computers you are not supposed to remove Internet Explorer web browser.Because if you do,Windows could stop working,but I have removed Internet Explorer and this has not effected my computer at all. A few months ago I wrote of how I successfully managed to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 from both my Windows 7 laptops. Now I have removed Windows Media player also from my laptops both Windows 7. Windows Media player like IE cannot be uninstalled in updates or programs menu as it is not listed there. And there is no way to change this,so that it shows in the uninstall a program menu. So,the only way to remove Windows Media player is like removing Internet Explorer browser,and that is to delete the file in programs on,C/drive. But there is one problem,because the Windows Media player program file is owned by Trusted Installer,it won't let you delete it. Unless you take ownership of the file and change it to your computer user name. Or use a tool called UNLOCKER,which unlocks and removes any kind of file. I have got nothing against Windows Media player but I already have VLC Media Player,Gom Media player and Miro video player,which I use to download my own videos from the web and put onto my other sites. So I don't need what would be 4 video players on my Netbook. And what is the point in keeping Windows Media player when I am not using it. Windows Media player is a good player and it is very user friendly.And there are some media players that I have tried,KM player and Songbird and Quick Time,which are terrible. But Windows Media player has never given me any trouble,but it is just that I have got VLC player. Which does everything that Windows Media does but has some additional features and plays videos in wide screen and high definition. So this is how I uninstalled Windows Media player and replaced it with VLC player as my default program. For Windows XP and Windows Vista it is Windows Media player 11 and for Windows 7 it is Windows Media player 12. First of all you have to edit the Windows Media player file in programs which is on C/Drive so that you can delete it. If you delete the file this is another way to remove the program from you computer.So you can either take ownership of the file and change the ownership from trusted Installer to your name.Or,like I did use a tool called Unlocker which I downloaded from the Internet,to unlock the file and it will then delete the file when you restart your computer. After you have restarted your computer,the Windows Media program file will be in the recycle bin,which you just empty. And that is all there is to it. Now go to turn off Windows features and un tick Windows Media player from the box. This will turn off the program and true, although now Windows Media player is off your computer. Windows update may try to install it back on during the updates,so turning it off prevents this. Then you have to restart your computer again and some times Windows puts the Windows Media file back on your computer after you have turned it off as it updates what you have done. But if this happens,just delete the file again and now that it has been turned off Windows update will not try to install it again. Now the good thing about Windows Media player is, that it is based on what I have read,not so tied up with Windows as Internet Explorer is. So you can now go one step further like I did and delete the Windows Media player registry keys. But do not do this if you do not know what you are doing in case you delete the wrong key as there are several programs,listed as Windows Media in the registry. But they are not the player some are network files and Windows photo viewer which you don't want to touch. I deleted both the Internet Explorer and Windows Media player registry keys because I did not want Windows to install updates for both IE or Windows Media player back on my computer. As installing the update some times puts the program file back on and then I have had to delete it again. Which I don't want to do. But having said that, now that I have removed both the Internet Explorer files and Windows Media player files from my computer,these programs will never work again on my computer. Not even if I download them,I just get blank files. So be warned,this method will permanently remove the program and you will not be able to install it again as Windows will not let you do it. Now Windows media player is off of my computer and VLC player has taken over as my default player. I have a webcam so VLC plays those videos I make and save with it, and it plays all of the audo files and voice messages from Google Talk, and of course,video files. In short VLC player does all that Windows Media player used to do, when I had it, only better. VLC player is also listed and set in the default programs menu. I chose VLC player as the replacement for Windows Media because it is most compatible with Windows. But if you do not want VLC player you can choose another media placer to replace Windows Media player instead. I have 2 laptops both Netbooks and I have uninstalled Windows Media player from both of them. On one laptop I have got VLC player only as my replacement for Windows Media. And on the other one I have Gom Media player only instead of VLC player as Windows Media players replacement. So if you do not want to replace Windows Media player with VLC player,you can use Gom Media player instead.Gom player like VLC is another media player that plays well with Windows and will list and set as the deault program and do all that Windows Media player did,just like VLC player does. But if you are going to remove Windows Media player from your computer,you MUST have another player,such as VLC player or Gom player or other installed or you will not be able to play video or audio files. So it IS possible to completely uninstall Windows Media player and replace it with anther player of your choice. And both my computers now have better media players than what they had before. It can be done. Andrea Borman.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 22nd September 2012
View Replies!

Test Windows 7 and FAT32 -- no-go you need NTFS

Hi just tested trying to install W7 on a FAT disk -- no-go it appears it will only install on NTFS although it can read / write FAT32 disks (and FAT 16 if you still have them --maybe some SD cards etc). There's no reason anymore to use FAT32 anyway - even LINUX can read / write NTFS as I've posted elsewhere on this forum so if you are attempting to load windows 7 on an external USB drive convert it to NTFS first. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Reasons why you should love Windows 7 (even if you love XP just like i did)

Hi everybody out there. I just really wanted to post this article/thread about why you should love Windows 7. I'm born XP fan, and after Windows 7 came out, and i wanted a new PC, i was 100% sure i wanted Windows XP for everything, because XP is the OS i have had most best experience with (and very bad experience with Windows Vista ). But my brother told me i should try Windows 7 - just try it out for his sake - and so i did. I am SO happy i tried it out, because it is really a amazing OS. It's not only fast, but compatible, secure and less annoying than Vista or EVEN XP is. I first got Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit on my brand new MM-Vision laptop (danish brand) and works perfectly, everything is just working 100% without problems, and compatible with every software. Nothing to complain about, as it is a brand new computer, and everything should just work. Last week i got Windows 7 on my old Inspirion 1525 who also had Windows XP installed, and i was amazed that Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit worked perfectly on it. As i did in the "old" days when i needed to reinstall it (as i did a couple of times) i always had to remember to install a lot of network (Wireless/LAN), grapich and all kind of drivers. But amazingly Windows 7 did all this for me. I just popped the Windows 7 installation CD in, and after about 30-35 minutes the old drive(harddisk) was formated and filled with brand new Windows 7. I configured it easily just like Windows XP (even faster and more "pain"-less). It restarted and boom - i could surf around the internet already without installing any drivers from dell manually. I was even testing my webcam, and amazlingly the "Dell Webcam Manager" software popped up (and i have NO idea why or how it got it, because the Windows 7 i got was not from dell, and had nothing to do with it). So i reinstalled my Inspirion 1525 faster than i ever reinstalled a computer, without having to install boring drivers or so. I also just 2 days ago reinstalled my Dell Studio with Windows Vista to Windows 7 - as perfect as on my Inspirion! So here are some good reasons to love Windows 7 more than you'll probbaly love Windows XP. It's more faster than Windows XP, it's not just something i say. Even you think the Aero design should take a lot of your CPU - well - it doesn't.It automaticly installs your drivers (the most common at least, like network/LAN/etc) - which XP doesn't. Not to mention it takes around 30-40 minutes ONLY (or less) to reinstall it.It's not as annoying as Windows Vista is with all the security and administrator privileges if you ever tried it out. You might have to allow a specific program to be runned as administrator (which is pretty understandable) but you only need to click once It's as easy to understand as Windows XP is. There's a lot of other articles about smart things you can do with Windows 7, so I'm not going to post it all here. But i could recommend this review: YouTube - Windows 7 Review. I recommend Windows 7 for you, as i really ONLY experienced good things with this OS. Remember, i was an incarnated Windows XP user, and could never dream about having anything else - but i took the chance and as i already told, i never regretted my choice. If you have to chance to choose Windows 7 then DO IT! XP will be outdated within a couple of years.. I will update the thread as i see fit.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Windows in the future, and windows a monopoly. Share your thoughts

Windows has been around for as long as we could remember. It's installed in 90% of computers in the world leaving only 9% for mac osx and 1% for linux. I personally think Microsoft came up with great business ideas, such as making deals with every single computer company in the world to have windows installed on their platforms. Xp came out in 2001 and is still the most used operating system in the world. Microsoft had an increasingly high shock price, the same apple is now. Then they got sued for having a monopoly. If you don't know, Microsoft was sued by the government for having a monopoly. Usually, companies have competition, but Microsoft didn't (And still doesn't.) have competition. They stated that people should have a choice, if Microsoft was to expensive to get another operating system, but that just wasn't the case, and still isn't the case which is why there upgrade prices remain so high. Then came windows vista, the fall of Microsoft, like they always say, nothing last forever. Personally, I've never ran into problems with Windows vista, my mother has it installed in her laptop, never an issue, but I'm basing this off reviews I've read off the internet from users. They claimed Windows Vista crashes to often, it isn't stable, it's slower than XP, the only good thing they had to say about windows vista was it original glass design which I like. I personally think they tried to add to many new features in windows vista which caused all these issues. I'm not going to even discuss windows vista SP2, lets move on ahead to windows 7. Personally, although windows 7 isn't my main operating system, I sort-of like it. I mean, it's nothing far from vista, it's just a less annoying version of vista with new aero features in which are very CPU consuming. I don't think windows 7 is worth the 170 dollar upgrade. I know, you could get it cheaper from other places, but I feel Microsoft owed there customers a cheaper price. They want to encourage windows XP users to make the switch, but most won't. Why not you ask Well, most computers users use the computer to browse the internet, and talk to friends etc. Some people can't afford the 170 dollar upgrade, it's just way to expensive for what your getting for your money. Maybe a 50 dollar price tag would've been better... And now as we look at Windows, we wonder where it will be in the future. The stock prices aren't doing to hot, and they plan on coming out with a Windows 8 which they claim will be a huge risk on there part, so I'm left here to wonder, what do they mean by that. Back to my other point, Microsoft is definitely a monopoly. What other choices do you really have. If you want MAC OSX you'll need to purchase a mac, or you could go with linux, but it's free which therefore means Microsoft is a monopoly (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Anyways, where do you think Windows will be in the future Will windows 8 be this huge risk What do you hope to see in windows 8 Do you ever think mac osx or even linux will take windows slot, I personally don't think so, but I'm sparking up a conversation. -Windows7helpguy
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

What would you like to see in Windows 7 SP1?

This thread is for thoughts only, it's highly unlikely any of these features/changes will be implemented So what do you want to see in service pack 1 Is there anything you'd like to see changed, added, removed, improved I personally don't have a contribution to my own thread right now
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Which version did you install? 32 or 64

which did you install I went for the 32 to ensure compatibility, even though i have 4 gb of ram. My graphic card shares most of the other gig anyway.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

How do you safeguard your data?

We handle confidential personal or business data almost every day. In order to to avoid being hacked, I am trying to figure out how to protect our data. Encryptng data is an easy answer but repeated encrytion and decryption of data everyday would be inconvenient chores. I am wondering how you safeguard from hackers. I also would like to hear your suggestion. hummer
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

What is your favorite defrag program?

My favorite is Perfect Disk 10 because it does the job very well and speeds up my boot time. How about you and please explain why.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!