32 Bit and more than 4 G Ram

I know about the limit of 4 Gig ram on 32 bit system and wondered about this utility Tweak UI For Windows Vista : Ultimate Windows Tweaker From WinVistaClub In performance there is a setting for 4 or more gigs of ram in Vista x 86. I only have 64 bit Vista so I don't know if this would work. I haven't tried this program in Windows 7 yet.
Joe
Posted On: Friday 5th of October 2012 04:02:12 AM Total Views:  69
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Windows 7 / Vista / XP PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

32-bit & 64 bit

Can i run 32-bit applications such as MS Office 2003 and photoshop 6 in 64 bit Windows 7
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 25th September 2012
View Replies!

I installed Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit....

on two seperate hard drives. Installation went very quick and easy. No problems at all. It seems IE 8 has been fixed from what I had before. The compatibility screen doesn't switch screens like it used to...Yea !! my programs seem to work fine on the 32 bit version. Haven't had time to install everything on the 64 bit version, but most things seem to work. So at this point I'm very happy with Windows 7 !!
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Sharing Printers XP, VISTA (32/64bit) W7(32/64Bit)

Hi Mods . People seem to be having problems with sharing / networking printers all over the place so here's a general method that work 99% of the time to connect almost any mix of OS'es (Windows) and printers including "Network" printers -- perhaps you can make this a sticky. First part - using a printer which is attached to another (remote) computer. For the purpose of this example we'll call the remote computer REDSQUIRREL and the LOCAL computer (i.e the one you are actually using) BLUEBOAR. We'll call the printer on the remote computer REMOTEPRINTER. Before you start ensure you have FILE and PRINTER sharing enabled on the remote computer and have defined the share name for the printer as REMOTEPRINTER. Right mouse click on Printer and use SHARE. Strictly speaking you can use different workgroups but for a home network make all computers belong to the same workgroup. Ensure you can access the shares on the remote computer as well --if you can't then it's no point going further. So ensure your computers are set up correctly - first and that the printer functions correctly on the machine it's connected to. Windows 7 7022 users Note there is currently a slight glitch in networking if you don't have the same user id and password on all the machines. The initial logon screen you get when trying to access say a shared disk doesn't appear so you have to do this little trick to get it to work (or you'll get the infamous message "WINDOWS can't access \\REDSQUIRREL) using the names above Right mouse click on Network then click Map network drive and now type in\\REDSQUIRREL\SHARENAME or \\REDSQUIRREL\IPADDRESSwhere IP address is your IP address on the LAN of the remote computer such as 192.168.0.11. You should now see the logon screen -- logon with the user name and password for your account on the local machine. Now you'll get the share and if you click the machine icon for that machine you'll get the rest of the shares without any more prompting. This is a slight hassle but I prefer NOT to have the same user id / password on all machines. Now once you've got network connectivity functioning OK we get to the real nub of the problem. As you know you can't for example load a 64 Bit printer driver on to a 32 bit OS and the 64 Bit OS doesn't like unsigned drivers so what we actually do is to "Poodlefake" the local machine to think it has the printer actually attached to it so all you need is the printer driver on the LOCAL machine whatever the remote OS is. Using the example above proceed as follows 1) ADD LOCAL Printer (Yes not a typo --add LOCAL printer --not a NETWORK printer) 2) Choose printer Port ==> click Create a new port 3) scroll down to type of port Local Port and select NEXT 4) For the port name enter (using our example above) \\REDSQUIRREL\REMOTEPRINTER 5) Now you should get a prompt for the printer driver to install (ON THE LOCAL MACHINE). You'll probably find yours in the hardware list --scroll down to the make and manufacturer. Otherwise get the driver from a Disk, or Windows update. Windows 7 has had a load of new printer drivers added. 6) now print test page -- works a treat even if your local machine is XP and your remote computer is running VISTA or W7 64 bit versions. This method works fine whatever way round. second part using a Network / Wireless printer. These printers are those that are connected to your local network via a LAN cable or wireless. They aren't physically attached to any computer. Same methodology applies -- you need to get the driver installed on the LOCAL machine. steps 1 and 2 as before 1) ADD LOCAL Printer (Yes not a typo --add LOCAL printer --not a NETWORK printer) 2) Choose printer Port ==> click Create a new port 3)scroll down to standard TCPIP port. 4) enter printer's IP address 5) and 6) as above. Hopefully this advice is of use to people struggling with setting up shared / network printers with different (Windows) OS'es. -- If the remote printer is on a LINUX machine then you can do the same with SAMBA but that's another topic for a different post. Cheers Jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Winhlp32

Hi all, This is my 1st post on here. Getting a little infuriated that i cannot get to my .hlp files for my programming environment as windows 7 does not include winhlp32, and it is currently unavailable to download for windows 7..... ARRGGHH. Niether the server 2008 x64 or the vista x64 versions will install.... I can't keep switching on my laptop to get at the help files.. Any ideas
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

WinHlp32

Newbie running Win 7 Build 7000... Does anyone have a workaround for WinHlp32.exe
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Would you pay extra for 32-bit XP mode to run on top of 64-bit W7?

Would you pay extra for 32-bit XP mode to run on top of 64-bit W7 Why or why not Just starting a random discussion... Maybe if we get enough feedback, they could include something useful like this in Windows 8
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Upgrading from Windows Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit

I am trying to figure out which version of Winodws 7 Home Premium I should upgrade to. I am currently running the release candiate of Windows 7 Ultimate in the 32 bit version on my desktop PC. I recently purchased a Vaio Notebook PC which came with Vista Home premium 64 bit version ( and a free Windows 7 upgrade). Both OS's run fine, except that I discovered that my Epson Stylus Photo 960 Printer does not have 64 bit drivers available. I was advised by Epson that there were no plans to issue drivers for this printer which I purchased approximately 5 years ago. It works fine with my 32 bit drivers on my desktop PC. The printer is fine, but I will most likely replace it in a year or two. Would you recommend sticking with 32 bit for the sake of printer compatability, or biting the bullet, moving to the 64 bit version of Windows 7, and buying a new printer a couple of years earlier than planned. If there is no real benefit to be gained between 64 bit and 32 bit, then my thinking was to wait. I would appreciate any suggestions.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Which editions will come with 32/64bits?

Which Windows 7 editions will come with 32/64bit disks
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 26th September 2012
View Replies!

XP 32 bit or 64 bit for Windows 7 64 bit

If I have windows 7 64 bit installed, what should I install for XP Mode, 64 bit or 32 bit and which Virtual PC, 64 bit or 32 bit Whatever I have read so far, Microsoft states that XP mode provides a 32 bit environment in XP mode. How is that possible when I install both in 64 bit.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 29th September 2012
View Replies!

7137 vs 7232 x64 vs 7260 x86

I've currently got the 64-bit 7137 build of windows 7 installed, and now that a newer rtm build won't be arriving for another couple of weeks, i've been contemplating installing one of the newer builds, either 7232 x64 or 7260 x86. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me the differences between my currently installed build and either of these newer ones, such as speed, bugs, compatibility etc. More specifically i'm wondering whether i would notice any performance or stability issues if i revert back to a 32-bit build, considering it is a newer version than the latest 64-bit build and i only have 2gb's of ram anyway.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 29th September 2012
View Replies!

Google Chrome bugs x32

I'm running build 7100, 32-bit, and Chrome has been working suprisingly well. The only bugs are when accessing these forums (This page is unavailable (accessing through Firefox just fine)) and when trying to view a .png file. For some reason, Chrome refuses to view any sort of .png image. Thoughts or fixes
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 1st October 2012
View Replies!

32 bit - Anyone running 4+ gb memory?

I know 32 bit operating systems in the past wouldn't read more than 3-3.5gb of memory, but I don't know if that is inherent to the 32 bit OS, or if it was just for the older systems. I am curious to know if W7 will read more than 3gb of memory.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 2nd October 2012
View Replies!

32 bit will live on

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/23/important-news-about-Windows-7_1.html
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 3rd October 2012
View Replies!

W7 X-64 is there an equivalent to msinfo32 for system info

Hi on 32 bit systems (and on Vista 64 bit) you can run msinfo32 from the run command to get nice system info. This command seems to have been removed from W7 X-64 (build 7000). I tried typing msinfo, msinfo64, sysinfo, sysinfo32 sysinfo64 just in case the name had changed. No program of these names exists. Is there an equivalent in W7 X-64 or is this just a part of the "dumbing down" process - so we can't get any info on what our systems are actually using (or how much overhead the OS is taking). I've of course posted feedback to microsoft but there could be another program which displays the info which I just don't know about. The info displayed from the Control Panel is not detailed eneogh. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Windows 7 build 7032 FAKES

OK, i'm deleting this text until Admin decides - ban me or not to ban.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

32 vs 64? Only 2 gigs ram :-(

Have both win7 beta 1 distros - 32 & 64. 3+ year old laptop. amd 64 2.2 gig, dual core. 2 gigs ram - machine maxes out at 2 :-( 4 gig readyboost flash stick - if that matters.... Will 64 be worth installing With only 2 gigs ram max, will it be any better than using 32 Any worse Suggestions and consensus please.... Thanx for the help.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 4th October 2012
View Replies!

OK I give up -- I can't Break build 7022 (X-32)

Hi I've been trying to Break W7 build 7022 -- for ALL the apps I use (even legacy XP stuff for which there are no known VISTA / W7 updates) Build 7022 works 100%. Note this was an upgrade (XP===>VISTA ULTIMATE (32 Bit) ==>W7 Build 7022. Ony issues are 1) Can't uninstall Microsoft Powertoy (Deskmanager) -- The XP virtual Desktop manager -- won't run (of course) and its my fault as the VISTA compability told me to uninstall it before upgrading -- so I'll have to delete it manually from the Registry. 2) Vmware workstation -- Vmware told me a new version was available -- upgrade gave me network problems with the Virtual Ethernet adapters (vmnet0 - Bridged and vmnet8 NAT). Uninstalling and doing a fresh install of VMWARE workstation cured the problem. You still need to "Hide" the __vmware_user__ user id from the logon screen - same method as in build 7000. So as far as I'm concerned Build 7022 is a real WINNER. Now to play with the 64 bit version -- although AFAIK there isn't a later build than 7000 -- any news -- Kyle perhaps \t. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Networking - Sharing Changes in W7 7022 32 Bit

Hi Guys This is for Build 7200 only. It might change before the final (or even in the next build which is out but not yet available from "the usual sources". This is also for sharing VISTAW7 or W7W7 See bottom of the post for XP computers in the network. The Networking sharing stuff seems to work more like it should do. Forget the Homegroups stuff for the moment. In Standard Networking it looks a bit more tricky to get it working properly however this seems to be how it works now. 1) If password protected sharing is OFF (on the remote computer) then only access is allowed to the "Public" folders for people who don't have an account on the remote computer. 2) When password protected sharing is ON (on the remote computer) then you can access all shared directories BUT note the following. a) If the user has the SAME password on both the remote and local computer then double clicking the remote computer in the Computer network will show the shared directories. b) if the password / username is different then you get an error WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS \\COMPUTERNAME. The OLD method threw up a logon / password prompt screen - this doesn't appear. Instead you get WINDOWS IS UNABLE TO ACCESS \\COMPUTER where \\COMPUTER is the remote computer name. Diagnostics say invalid password / user. In this case proceed as c) and d) c) if you know the name of a share say VOLUME_D on the remote computer then right click on NETWORK and choose connect network drive type \\COMPUTERNAME\VOLUME_D or \\192.168.2.2\VOLUME_D (computer name or Network IP address) Now You'll get the Logon password / user screen once you've entered this you can then click on the computer name in the Network map and you'll then get the shares as before. Now this *Might* be broken but I actually prefer this method -- you won't get access unless you know what you want access to. XP computers just throw up the logon screen (doesn't matter if the XP is on a different Workgroup) XP connectivity seems to finally be fixed in build 7022. You always get a password prompt which is fine. Cheers jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Netapi32.dll error

I receive this error whenever I start or shutdown windows 7. Any Ideas I tried to replace the file with a version I downloaded off the net, however windows says I have to be a trusted installer to do so.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

"Dun Testing W7 32X" -- 99.999% Satisfied. Now for X-64

Hi I'm now satisfied on my laptop with the X32 version of W7 -- now Hauppage Win TV is also working. My Lan card which I could NEVER get to work either on Vista Home premium X-32 or W7 X-32 worked straight away . (Via velocity family gigabit ether net card). Wireless wasn't an issue. That worked . The only thing not currently working for me is alcohol 52 (Virtual Drive / ISO mounter) which I can live without until the final. Issues with Winamp (no CD ripping options) disappeared like magic as well. Most of the issues I had originally were actually because I did a CLEAN install -- normally this is the preferred method for installing an OS but with a Beta I'm not so sure a clean install is the best method as there are bound to be "pieces missing". So I went from XP==>VISTA ULTIMATE==>W7 X32. Now although I got to W7 via a bit of a convoluted route - like magic all the issues I had just disappeared. BTW I didn't actually activate or use Vista Ultimate as I "Borrowed" this from another computer --you still get 30 days before you have to activate anyway. If you go this route do the Vista ultimate updates before the W7 upgrade. For some old legacy hardware which I know will never work on VISTA / W7 (Manufacturer long since gone to that "great Factory in the Sky") I've still got a very satisfactory Windows XP Virtual Machine. Also use this for copying Music to Minidisc and some Pro music applications which aren't even VISTA ready yet. On a 4GB laptop with dual core there's plenty of memory and processing power to run the VM when I need it. So I've "Dun Testing" on W7 X32 -- will keep it on this laptop and probably use the same method for going from XP PRO ==> VISTA ULTIMATE==>W7 when the final appears depending on what options are available at the time. Photoshop CS4 also FLIES even on X32 -- W7 obviously makes much better use of the FULL installed memory. Roll on W7 Final -- I'll certainly be getting the W7 X32 version for the laptop. Now If I could wrap up issues with X-64 I'd be really happy. I'm testing that on a 8GB machine with Q9400 Quad processor. DO take IMAGES of various stages of your OS and data -- Backup is the whole key to avoiding a lot of frustration and being left with an inoperable machine. My XP image which I've archived on to 2 DVD's and a USB external disk can be used when I eventually load W7 final (if I have the same issues with Clean Install). ALWAYS KEEP MORE THAN ONE COPY OF BACKUP Preferably on separate media -- I'm almost paranoid about this == 3 copies 2X DVD's and 1X USB Disk. There's almost nothing worse than trying to restore your backup and then find the restore program can't read your only copy of the backup. Cheers Jimbo
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 5th October 2012
View Replies!