Looking for a solution to changing hundreds of labels based on options in ComboBox

Good afternoon,

I am looking for a solution or method to change multiple labels based on multiple options in a ComboBox.

I have a ComboBox that changes the visibility of three other ComboBox (which has atleast 10 options in each of them) based on what is selected in the first ComboBox. Now, next to it, there are questions that I want to differ based on the selections picked in the 2nd group of ComboBoxes.

For example (and for simplicity's sake):

ComboBox 1: Please pick your favorite type of animal.
  Choices: Mammal, Fish, Bird

(this changes based on which type of animal you pick)

ComboBox 2 (if Mammal is picked): Please choose your favorite animal.
  Choices: Dog, Tiger, Beaver 

ComboBox 3 (if Fish is picked): Please choose your favorite animal.
  Choices: Trout, Salmon, Tuna

ComboBox 4 (if Bird is picked): Please choose your favorite animal.
  Choices: Penguin, Eagle, Owl

So based on the which is picked, the next question needs to change based on if Dog, Tuna, Eagle, Beaver, whatever is picked. But keep in mind there are significantly more options that I have in my example (and it's not really about animals).

So, again, for example:

If Dog is picked, the next question is: "Why do dogs bark"
If Penguin is picked, the next question is: "Why can't penguin's fly"

I hope you understand what I am trying to do here. Please reply back if you are confused and need some clarification.

Thank you.
Posted On: Wednesday 12th of September 2012 06:11:41 AM Total Views:  47
View Complete with Replies

RELATED TOPICS OF Visual Basic PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

looking for third party spell checking + dictionary software

rated by 0 users We're working on a software project in which we want to implement spell checking. We don't want to write our own spell checking software from scratch, and we definitely don't want to write our own dictionary from scratch. We'd like to know what our options are. Can we buy a spell checking dll along with a dictionary from Microsoft From some other software company Is there any open source freeware we can download Also, we would like to know what kind of overhead would be involved in incorporating such a package into our project. We're working in Visual Studios 2008 (possibly upgrading to 2010). How easy would it be to integrate third party spell checking/dictionary What kind of access would we have in Visual Studios into that third party software (i.e. how easily can we customize the software via function calls, deleting/adding components (e.g. words in the dictionary), deleting/adding event handlers to events, etc.) We would like as wide a variety of options as possible, so please, the more suggestions you have, the better.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Sunday 16th September 2012
View Replies!

I'm looking for a developer to pay to do some work for me.

as the title states, I'm currently looking for a developer to do some work for me in VB.net as my schedule is pretty tight and I havecommittedto the project. My client requires a database application to be developed for them to keep a record of all of their machinery and also to keep a record of any maintenance to that machinery. The software is to be SQL driven to allow multiple users on the network to use the application although no user authentication will be required. A few basic reports will need to be generated also. I would prefer that the application is written in VB.net as I would need toacquirethe source code for future updating for the client. I have never tendered work out like this before but have seen multiple sites where this is possible. However, I thought I'd start here at vbCity as a sort of thank you for all the help I have ascertained here in the past. If you are interested, please feel free to PM me for more information.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 24th September 2012
View Replies!

INNO setup install looking for Access database in wrong place

I'm confused as to how to get my VB.Net installed and reading its Access database. It works on the project developer but after installing the program on my computer I get the following message: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\NationalPool.mdb This is my connection in the project: Public dbConnection As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;User ID=;Password=;" _ & "Data Source=" & dbPath & "\Debug\NationalPool.mdb") This is the files section of my INNO script: Source: Source: "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\NationalPool\NationalPool\obj\Release\NationalPool.exe"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion Source: "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\NationalPool\NationalPool\bin\Release\*"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion recursesubdirs createallsubdirs [code language="VB.NET"]Source: "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\NationalPool\NationalPool\bin\Debug\NationalPool.mdb"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion Can anyone point me in the right direction [/code] dp.SyntaxHighlighter.ClipboardSwf = '/dp.SyntaxHighlighter/Scripts/clipboard.swf' dp.SyntaxHighlighter.Highlight('3ab3bf8544244e929c9a54c09736fbaf') dp.SyntaxHighlighter.Highlight('9c783d92f06f46b2b9538397669c918f') dp.SyntaxHighlighter.Highlight('210827e6b35146c991dab15c29348058')
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 27th September 2012
View Replies!

looking for your good Suggestion about XML

While opening each form, I have to check some values from one SQLserver table in my online application. to avoid connecting to server every time, I planned to download these requred data from server into local pc as .xml file. then whenever I need to check, I can check in this .xml file. my row size is 10B and number of rows are 70. if i write into xml, it gives 20kb. so here I am looking for your Suggestion. which method is is better for my case thnaks
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Friday 28th September 2012
View Replies!

looking for free version of VS

, Does anyone know where I can download a free version of Visual Studios from I tried searching and I found sites that look like they're offering Visual Studios but it turns out to be something different.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 6th October 2012
View Replies!

looking for a data recovery software

RJ :thumb: MCSD {My faqs.} It's not a bug--it's a feature. Please read and follow the Posting Guidelines. | How to get your questions answered here.Add "(Resolved)" in your first post's subject line when your inquiry gets solved.Add "(Unresolved)" to bring your post back to the top.My Blog | Post Points: 5 emdek Rijswijk, The Netherlands Since 2/28/2004 Posts 3,878 Reputation 26,680 Reply Martin de Klerk (emdek) replied on 10/10/2007 1:38 PM rated by 0 users Quote:Posted by Russel JudgeBut I hope you got money--I'm sure it won't be cheap.Au contraire, mon ami! A view months ago I had a similar requirement for a customer, who had reformatted his HD and re-installed Windows before he realised he did not make a backup prior to his actions. I tested several programs ( including OnTracks), but found this program the best 40 bucks I have ever spend. Not only did it recover 99.99 % of the formatted and overwritten files, it also restored the original file- and directory names instead of generated sequential names (like OnTrack does). You can download the demo. It is a full version with the only restriction of 1 fily recovery per day.HTH
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 13th October 2012
View Replies!

Working on my own new database format, looking for hints

Please read Posting rules and How to get your questions answeredIt will help us to help you!John Spano MCSD, MCTS-Windows, MCTS-Web, MCPD-Distributed, MCITP-SQLDev, MCITP-SQLAdminCofounder NeoTekSystems, Inc. | Post Points: 5 RaiN MaN Europe Since 7/19/2003 Posts 35 Reputation 385 Reply RaiN MaN (RaiN MaN) replied on 7/8/2006 12:31 PM rated by 0 users Thanx for you answer :)I never thought about XML, i always thought it would be faster to write and read data directly instead of using a XML file.As i said i'm not an expert, now that you mentioned XML it come sto mi mind that WinFS (the new generation filesystem that MS now ceased to develope afaik) used XML in some way, correct me if i'm wrong. So i guess it ain't a big performance killer to use XML, is itSince i would like to be able to write/read 60.000+ records with acceptable speed i'm a bit concerned when it comes to XML, but your idea doesn't sound bad to me.Could you be so kind and give me some more input about XML performance and if there are some things i should be aware ofThank you again
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 15th October 2012
View Replies!

Working on my own new database format, looking for hints

everybodySome time ago i wrote a little DLL which was more or less a managed way to store data in a random access file.Now i want to rewrite everything and most of all i want to be able to have random size records.I'm really no expert and i'm doing all this mostly out of personal interest. What i would like to ask you ppl here is if you could please give me some input on a few issues:1)Since variable records size will require some kind of index i thought about writing data in the database using headers which contain information about the length of the record data at the beginning of each record.The problem ain't the index, since i think it will be enought if i save the starting position of each record somewehere (probably at the end of the database).Trouble starts when i think about separating the header from the actual redcord data. If the record data should, for whatever reason, match the header data the database will be screwed. I solved this in my current DLL by encoding the data to Base64. But this is a major performace killer. Actually i'm more interested in security and reliability, but i also would like to be able to add several rather big records without the need for a super computer.2)Also i would like to avoid to have another file to save the database index. So i thought about saving the database index at the end of the file.This could be made by appending the index at the end of the database and then again appening an integer which is the length of the whole index. This way it's possible to retrieve the whole index at the loading of the database by reading the last 4 bytes (afaik that's the length of an integer) and saving it when unloading the database.3)In case the record index gets corrupted i would need to restore it by searching the whole database for record headers.Since i obviously can't load the whole db into memory and perform a regex on it the only solution i can think of is to create a for which reads 20 bytes of the database, say from 0 to 19.Then seeks header data in those 20bytes and then, instead of just reading the next 20 bytes, reads the next 5 or 10 bytes, appends them to the current 20bytes and drops the remaining first 5 or 10 bytes. This will prevent the for from missing headers which don't get loaded completely in the buffer (cause they might be exactly between byte 15 and 25 which at that point ain't loaded in the buffer) and will also prevent some major memory "rape".But again, i fear some major performace issues by scanning the database in this way.If you really red this far i would like to thank you for your patience.I will be be very grateful for anything you can tell me, thank you in advance :)Cheers
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 15th October 2012
View Replies!

Re: how do i read a text file looking for a certion word

im trying to read a text file looking for the word ((hello)) is this the right way thanks Code: Private Sub Command2_Click() Dim variable1 As String Open "c:\sample.txt" For Input As #1 Input #1, variable1 Text2.Text = variable1 Close #1 End Sub
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 24th October 2012
View Replies!

RB with WinXP Home SP2 - looking for transparent clock and transparent text scroller (bottom to top)

Is there any sample code available that will give me ideas on how to place a transparent clock on the front of an image Another routine I'm looking for is something that will allow me to scroll text from bottom ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Saturday 10th November 2012
View Replies!

looking for ultimate function to terminate vb application at any point of execution

hi, could anyone tell me how do i go about writing a function/command that can terminate the vb application at ANY POINT of execution to the extent that once the 'terminationg function command' is executed nothing else beyond the last ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 15th November 2012
View Replies!

VB: How to transverse folders/subfolders looking at each filename ineach

Could someone please show me sample VB6 code on how to transverse through specified directories/sub-directories, looking at each file in each directory
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 19th November 2012
View Replies!

looking for a good implementation of SHA-1

I can't find one anywhere on the net and my skills are lacking in that particular area of coding. The closest I can find is a truncated version of SHA-384 that someone is trying to pass off as SHA-1. The ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 20th November 2012
View Replies!

looking for RealBasic programmer

Write a financial transactions tracking and estimating program for television commercials production. RealBasic frontend to a MySQL backend.
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Tuesday 20th November 2012
View Replies!

looking for a tiff viewer

I'm looking for a replacement for the imgedit.ocx control. Up untill now, I was using this control in my application for displaying and annotating scanned tiff images (both single and multi-page). Ever since I've found out I cannot use ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Wednesday 21st November 2012
View Replies!

MIssing fonts when looking at screen.fonts

My application allows the user to select fonts. I fill in a combo box control with the available fonts by looping through all System.Fonts: ' Get all the screen fonts ReDim sFontNameList(Screen.FontCount - 1) For i = 0 To Screen.FontCount ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Monday 26th November 2012
View Replies!

looking for tutorial on VB 1 2 3 or 4

as those are the only versions i have....
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

I'm looking for a Delphi to VB converter.

I'm looking for a Delphi to VB converter. Any suggestions
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

Re: brain storm - looking for ideas - hierarchical&tabular data mix

look4ahouse@hotmail.com (Howard) wrote in message news:... > hi, > > I am trying to think of ideas to help me implement the following > application. > > The application is some kind of "barcode creator": you select a > "desktop ...
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

View Replies!

VBS/QTP and TOCR - looking for VBS script for working with TOCR 3.0

, I looking for VBS script for working with TOCR 3.0 from http://transym.com Planning to use your tool for processing images by controlling it via VBS from QTP (Quick Test Processional by HP) Please help. Thank you, Alex
VIEWS ON THIS POST

Posted on:

Thursday 29th November 2012
View Replies!